VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure if anyone else finds early ATI cards all over the place with naming them and specifications.

A Radeon 7200 can come with all sorts of core and memory clocks, there seems to be no guarantee as what you're going to get. Same goes for older cards with Rage 128 Pro. Could be an OEM card that won't work unless you modify the drivers, clocks all over the place. Even the specifications online, in reviews and from people vary greatly.

Did ATI just let everyone free rains when it came to this sort of stuff?

I'm finding the best way to get these cards is by going for the early models that match the photos of releases. Saphire cards and others often come with surprisingly different clock speeds, but no difference in model number.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 18, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Radeon's relatively easy considering the confusion of the earlier Rage and Xpert@ branding (and it certainly doesn't end there either)

Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about. It took me a while to find a "proper" Rage 128 Pro. They go under the name of Fury and Xpert@ and all sorts of other terms.

Then Rage6, but also Radeon DDR...

Reply 3 of 18, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The All-in-Wonder cards are even worse. It was not until recently that I realized that my old 32mb cards were actually Radeon 7200 DDR's. The all in wonders all use the same Rage Theater chip from the Rage days so it was challenging even figuring out if my cards were SDR or DDR. Let alone what gen they were.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 18, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I usually go for PCI VENDOR / DEVICE / SUB IDs. Then adding memory/core clock rates, memory bus width and type. Then I just look up in tables which card it is.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 18, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haha, I have the same problem.
My collection of early nvidia is quite good, so I'm trying to get the ATIs now.
But since I have no idea what sellers sell, nor how to find the actual card I'm looking for, the progress on that front is more or less stalled.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 7 of 18, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad to see that I'm not alone 😊

Nvidia is indeed quite straight forward.

What GPU ID tools are available for Windows 98? I use PowerStrip often, it shows the clocks but nothing about the core configuration. I tried an older version of GPU-Z but it crashed with an error, I think it was missing a DLL.

Reply 9 of 18, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's also great for v-sync control. The Matrox provided tool for example doesn't work for me, but PowerStrip works.

Reply 10 of 18, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

The All-in-Wonder cards are even worse. It was not until recently that I realized that my old 32mb cards were actually Radeon 7200 DDR's. The all in wonders all use the same Rage Theater chip from the Rage days so it was challenging even figuring out if my cards were SDR or DDR. Let alone what gen they were.

You do realize the Theatre is not a graphics chip communicating with memory?

Reply 11 of 18, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Not when it came to the 8xxx and 9xxx series though.
640MB 8800gts being weaker than a 512MB 8800gts is a good example.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 12 of 18, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

What GPU ID tools are available for Windows 98? I use PowerStrip often, it shows the clocks but nothing about the core configuration. I tried an older version of GPU-Z but it crashed with an error, I think it was missing a DLL.

Only AIDA64. Work in W98 and can identify a lot of cards. Still some minor models not and they do not seem to want to update them (too old, i asked them). Still can do much more than GPU-Z. GPU-Z is Win XP/ATI/Nvidia/Modern Intel only - it has no detection of Matrox or S3 cards and showing bad memory clocks for SDR cards for example. Also new versions freeze (use 0.7 or older) when used on older cards like GF 4MX and similar. Autor dont support also anything older than year 2000 (with few exceptions like Riva TNT).

http://www.aida64.com/downloads

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 13 of 18, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds good, I think I have that program on my file server, will check it out for sure.

The Rage 128 Pro quite impressed me when I benchmarked it recently. The 16 bit image quality is a bit poor, but the card really shines at 32 bits, it loses much less performance than the other cards.

Reply 14 of 18, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

You do realize the Theatre is not a graphics chip communicating with memory?

Yep, but seeing as how the 7000 series cards look identical to the 8000 series it was difficult to figure out what drivers were the proper drivers, back then I knew nothing about CPU-Z or Powerstrip or anything like that. Combining the words "Radeon" and "Rage Theater" and 32mb made for some confusing google searches.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 15 of 18, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea it doesn't help that's for sure.

Does anyone else feel that Rage is a better name that Radeon?

Rage Fury sounds pretty decent. Radeon reminds me of...

mqdefault.jpg

Reply 17 of 18, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Not when it came to the 8xxx and 9xxx series though.
640MB 8800gts being weaker than a 512MB 8800gts is a good example.

It wasn't that bad and back then one could have done a google search then found out which was what unlike some of the older ATI cards. Geforce 9 series was straight forward unlike some of the rebrands that came later when you had low end Fermi cards when everything else was Kepler ect.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 18 of 18, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
Nvidia's got a worse problem. […]
Show full quote

Nvidia's got a worse problem.

g-force-3d-ejemplo-criticsight.jpg

Now lets hope Nvidia does not see this post and decide to adopt new mascots for their next gen graphics cards 😵