VOGONS

amd k6-2

Topic actions

First post, by cnpr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, does any one know if the motherboard ga586hx version 1.56 support the k6-2 processor? think about going to 350 mhz.

Reply 1 of 13, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, not right out of the box. There are modded bioses available, but you also have to do some mods to the voltage regulator to get the right voltage.

Reply 4 of 13, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am partial to the Asus P5A and P5A-B depending if you want ATX or BabyAT.

Other Good ones...

Gigabyte GA-5AX (Especially REV 5.2)
DFI K6XV3+/66AOpen AX59 Pro

They are definatly getting harder to find.

Reply 5 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://web.archive.org/web/20010429004622/ht … .ga586hx.de/en/

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 13, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

+1 for the Asus P5A (I have the B model, which is AT). I have also used the IWill XA100 with some success but I noticed some performance issues compared to the Asus that I didn't get around to investigating further.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 7 of 13, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't forget the Gigabyte GA-5AA... basically the AT version of the GA-5AX.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 8 of 13, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FIC PA-2013 is the one I use. Very good board. Unless it's rev 2.1, you can't put in a high power demanding AGP card, like the Voodoo 3, though I just use PCI cards anyway.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 9 of 13, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I figured as people are saying board models and such, I should put in a good word for the Chaintech 5AGM2.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

I figured as people are saying board models and such, I should put in a good word for the Chaintech 5AGM2.

I never used a Chaintech Socket 7-ish board, but Chaintech's 6BTM Slot 1 BX boards I found to be really impressive somehow. We got a whole lot of these to build older rigs from (charity work) and luckily my boss was an idiot who thought these were useless as they were too slow, so I got a box of these boards.

These 6BTM's were great to work with at work, but also back when I started actually using them. I really don't understand how hardly anyone knows about these? I'm not a Slot 1 expert, but I don't really see how these are worse than ASUS P2B?

And sorry for diverting from the Socket 7 talk here, but I don't often see Chaintech mentioned a lot 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 13, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These 6BTM's were great to work with at work, but also back when I started actually using them. I really don't understand how hardly anyone knows about these? I'm not a Slot 1 expert, but I don't really see how these are worse than ASUS P2B?
>>
>>
They even look the same, and ditto for P3B-F 😀. I have a CT 6BJM (S370 version) here that runs on a 1GHz chip with no problems whatsoever. Somebody on the 'Lunchbox' site reports a successful overclock with a C1.0A on this board. [[http://www.oocities.org/_lunchbox/tualeron_su … cess_table.html]] #8

Reply 12 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They aren't too similar in how they look though...well..in as much as Slot 1 boards can look different 😜.

I used a s370 build for my Celeron 800 rig and it ran pretty much effortlessly. Only gripe I had about that board was it's cramped free socket area (had to find a good but small CPU HSF). I don't remember which board it was...could actually be a Chaintech as well.

And to get back at the original question: 1 more vote for GA-5AX (I think mine was an earlier revision, 4.1 or so?? But it ran perfectly fine).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!