VOGONS

Voodoo 2 SLI Issue

Topic actions

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I have 2 Voodoo 2 Black Magic cards, when I disable the second card and try to run Unreal Tournament at 800x600, the game has pink artifacts on the screen. I took the second card out at the artifacts disappeared pretty much (again, this one was disabled). Is this an issue with my cards or something else? Removing the SLI cable fixes this issue, but I think it still shouldn't be happening.

Reply 2 of 23, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would also double check with another game, ideally something that doesn't use the Unreal engine. (will confirm its not a game/driver issue)
So you have tried each card separately with the other removed completely from the PC. (will confirm which card if any are faulty)
If both cards work fine by themselves but not in SLI, I would try my luck making another SLI cable, much cheaper easier to replace then a voodoo card

Reply 3 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrEWhite wrote:

So, I have 2 Voodoo 2 Black Magic cards, when I disable the second card and try to run Unreal Tournament at 800x600, the game has pink artifacts on the screen. I took the second card out at the artifacts disappeared pretty much (again, this one was disabled). Is this an issue with my cards or something else? Removing the SLI cable fixes this issue, but I think it still shouldn't be happening.

Is the pink artifact a static block on your screen? And if so, does it change position when you change resolution?
In that case, it might be a memory chip.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 23, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

Is the pink artifact a static block on your screen? And if so, does it change position when you change resolution?
In that case, it might be a memory chip.

It was on textures across the entire screen.
But it only happened with one card disabled and only with the SLI cable in again. So, could this be a software issue?

chinny22 wrote:

If both cards work fine by themselves but not in SLI, I would try my luck making another SLI cable, much cheaper easier to replace then a voodoo card

The cards work fine in SLI, I was just doing some testing and came across this issue.

And the same issue is in Quake 2. But again, both the cards work by themselves completely fine, and in SLI. It's only when I have the SLI cable in and I disable a card it happens

Reply 5 of 23, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:

But it only happened with one card disabled and only with the SLI cable in again. So, could this be a software issue?

Swap the 2 cards around (move each to the other's slot) and test again.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 6 of 23, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

Swap the 2 cards around (move each to the other's slot) and test again.

Still happens.

Reply 7 of 23, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it an original cable? If not, check its length/quality. I used to get weird artifacts on single card mode (not this one, but random artifacts that weren't there when testing each card separately) when my homemade SLI cable was somewhat longer than the stock cable they shipped with the cards back then. Maybe these artifacts weren't so apparent in bigger resolutions, however I'd swear everything was fine at 1024x768.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 8 of 23, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
psychz wrote:

Is it an original cable? If not, check its length/quality. I used to get weird artifacts on single card mode (not this one, but random artifacts that weren't there when testing each card separately) when my homemade SLI cable was somewhat longer than the stock cable they shipped with the cards back then. Maybe these artifacts weren't so apparent in bigger resolutions, however I'd swear everything was fine at 1024x768.

It's one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/SLI-Cable-for-3DFX-Vo … s-/131817328341

Reply 9 of 23, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrEWhite wrote:

The cards work fine in SLI, I was just doing some testing and came across this issue.

And the same issue is in Quake 2. But again, both the cards work by themselves completely fine, and in SLI. It's only when I have the SLI cable in and I disable a card it happens

Am I missing something why would you even want to do that? Isn't any SLI drawbacks is there?
But the fact Quake does it as well means its not the games fault. Which drivers you using? some of my computers seem to prefer the fastvoodoo others only like the official drivers.

PS $10 for a sli cable! Its a fair price but good money for a simple floppy cable hack

Reply 10 of 23, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
Am I missing something why would you even want to do that? Isn't any SLI drawbacks is there? But the fact Quake does it as well […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote:

Am I missing something why would you even want to do that? Isn't any SLI drawbacks is there?
But the fact Quake does it as well means its not the games fault. Which drivers you using? some of my computers seem to prefer the fastvoodoo others only like the official drivers.

PS $10 for a sli cable! Its a fair price but good money for a simple floppy cable hack

I've tried fastvoodoo and the official.

I was just doing some testing in framerate and graphic difference for my own personal use. Can anyone else test their Voodoo 2s and see if this happens?

Reply 12 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you post some pics perhaps?
Of the artifacts and the hardware involved?

Optional is to try the set of Voodoos in another board.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 23, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is what hapeened on my Voodoo 2 12MB (when it was used as a single card). It had two pins of processing unit shorted and one SMD resistor missing plus missing SMD ceramic capacitor. It wasn't detecting full amount of memory. Fixed the shorted legs, soldered new resistor and capacitor and it works fine. Maybe you should look for missing (damaged, detached) components around SLI port.

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1116.jpg
    File size
    351.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_1114.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1114.jpg
    File size
    512.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 14 of 23, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Before I post pictures of the issue, I just noticed the RAM chips don't share the same speeds. Could this be the issue?

And, apart from the RAM chips, they both look fine after a visual inspection.

Reply 15 of 23, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:

Before I post pictures of the issue, I just noticed the RAM chips don't share the same speeds. Could this be the issue?

Mine have mismatched speeds and I'm not having any issues

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 16 of 23, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right now I'm trying a Diamond Monster Voodoo II 12MB (If I can get mismatched SLI working) with both of the cards to see if it presents issues.

Last edited by MrEWhite on 2016-06-11, 17:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrEWhite wrote:

You can try under-clocking the cards?

YouTube, Facebook, Website