VOGONS

First post, by rubenerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, before I pour tons of hours into researching this, does anyone remember if there was ever a DVI graphics card with Windows 3.1x drivers? Or did DVI come too late?

Basically the desk in my tiny new apartment can't fit two sets of peripherals 😢 , so looking to build a KVM setup. If I could get a DVI card for this old Pentium 3.1x/95 tower, I could have it on the same unit as all my other machines.

I learned the hard way DVI KVMs universally use DVI-D, so passive DVI to VGA passthrough adaptors won't work. It's a real shame, I have the keyboard and mouse working with a ton of adaptors.

Reply 1 of 12, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think that anyone has brought this up before but I have my doubts as the support for 3.1 stopped sometime around the TNT2 and Voodoo 3 era.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

S3 Savage4

61026w31.zip 560k 2000 Jul 24 S3 Windows 3.1 display driver v.6.10.26 6/13/00 for Savage4 (DeviceID 8A22)

51mECqnuZ1L._SX355_.jpg

NB! AGP card! Must it be PCI?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TNT2 is also an option. Came primarily with AGP DVI, but it has the drivers.

PCI option also available, but hard to find:

GB Riva TnT Pro (Gateway Wallace AGP DVI-Out) CT5828

ct5828front.jpg
Filename
ct5828front.jpg
File size
260.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by vetz on 2016-06-16, 15:42. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 6 of 12, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

actually really easy, get an active VGA to DVI adapter, they exist. The only catch is they need power usually provided by USB, so you will need to hook the USB portion up to a USB port possibly with a USB Extension cable

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DVI2VGAE- … r/dp/B00C93JQXS

Here is one I have used. You can put that on the back of the KVM and your good to go. The Active part means it will convert the signal between analog and digital itself.

Reply 8 of 12, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
happycube wrote:

That adapter converts DVI-D into VGA, which is the wrong direction in this case...

Should work both directions

Reply 9 of 12, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most Matrox G400 cards support a DVI output daughter card. They have full Windows 3.1x drivers with on the fly resolution switching. I can confirm the DVI output works with the drivers as well.

Reply 10 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NJRoadfan wrote:

Most Matrox G400 cards support a DVI output daughter card. They have full Windows 3.1x drivers with on the fly resolution switching. I can confirm the DVI output works with the drivers as well.

I haven't got the DVI working in DOS mode with the Matrox cards. Only Windows.

Reply 11 of 12, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Odd, mine always worked fine in DOS with the DVI board. Its a Matrox Marvel G400TV card with the DVI daughter card FWIW. Matrox did release a DOS BIOS update for these that I might have flashed a long time ago. If I recall, it addressed DOS support for the TV output, who knows it might have fixed the DVI output too.