VOGONS

First post, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am about to buy a PC with this motherboard that I could not identify. Can anyone hele? The CPU it runs is i486 DX4@100mhz:

412628431_1_644x461_stary-pc-486dx4-100mhz-3072kb-ram-hdd-ibm-280mb-vga-trident-512kb-warszawa_rev002.jpg.

It seems like it has coin battery.

Reply 1 of 12, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks a bit like a Shuttle HOT 419: My new old crusty 486 system and http://www.amoretro.de/2011/04/shuttle-hot-41 … otherboard.html

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 12, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can confirm, it is an early version of the Shuttle HOT-419 motherboard. Pretty quick and stable, my favourite VLB board. Later versions had the voltage regulators for 3.xV CPUs installed.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 4 of 12, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The case looks neat !

Be careful about the CPU config. Are you sure it's running at 100MHz?
As said before, your board does not have the voltage regulators installed, so the CPU is running at 5V and the cooler doesn't indicate it's an Overdrive CPU underneath.
So it's most likely overvolting the CPU.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 5 of 12, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those blank, rectangular spaces to the left of the CPU, in the picture, are where the regulators would have gone. I think it's interesting that they created a board with a provision for an upcoming CPU, rather than simply include the provision to future-proof the board.

Reply 6 of 12, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's called "cost reduction" 😉

Reply 7 of 12, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I kinda more bought it for this pretty case (oh man I'll put all of my precious sound cards inside!), but fortunately enough yesterday I got this i486 dx4 overdrive so it will fit like a charm. And do you think voltage regulator can be added to this board? And would it support my IBM 5x86?

Reply 8 of 12, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know that the chipset can handle the 5x86, the last two or the last revision has explicit support for it. It may be possible to add the voltage regulators, but you have to inspect the boards closely for comparison. Maybe there are other parts of jumpers missing. But in general: Yes, it is very possible. Or just use an interposer socket with a regulator.

What kind of sound cards are you planning to use in this nice case? All of those in your signature? "Sounds" like fun to me 😀

Reply 9 of 12, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FGB, that's always my greatest dilemma! All of my soudncards woun't fit and I struggle to decide which to put in my machines. I'm trying to be period correct where possible, so I think I will go with:

- GUS Classic 3.74, which is my mostly beloved card - for games that support it and general "cool factor";
- Yamaha SW60XG for MIDI;
- Turtle Beach Tropez for OPL3

I lately decided to put my excellent Aztech Sound Galaxy NX II and Ensoniq Soundscape II in IBM PS/1 2133 build (486sx-25 which I aim to upgrade to DX2) and I think it fits there just fine - as it gives me decent MIDI and some limited MT-32 emulation (for games that support music and sound effects separately)and semi-intelligent MPU-401 interface, Disney Sound Source, OPL2 and ADLIB compatibility. I think it's quite versitile for 386 era games.

The rest of my soundcards (beloved CT-1320A, CT-2760 and AWE64) will stay in the drawer for now.

The most paradoxical thing is that I never used to have ANY soundcard when I had 286/386/486 computers in early to mid 90-s. So having all those cards I only cry when I hear PC speaker 😉

BTW - I was sure that 486 DX4 would just burn in 5V socket... The trouble with interposer is that it would block some of ISA slots if we're talking about full ISA soundcards.

Reply 12 of 12, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you Rawit!

FGB seens to be right - apart from voltage regulator I will need to solder-in some jumpers (JP73 and JP74), in order to get it work with regular DX4, as they were skipped by the factory.