VOGONS

MS-DOS era processors

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dnewhous wrote:

The article states that the VLB was P5 compatible, not P6, so if you fixed the timing glitch the best CPU would be

VLB was itself basically just an extension of the 486 processor and memory bus. It was "natively" compatible with 486 CPUs - later CPUs needed to have a "translator" in the chipset. Such translators were made for Pentiums, but by the time of P6, PCI was well and fully established, so there was no need for VLB on P6. The "486 extension" nature of the bus makes the 486 by far the most reliable CPU for VLB - P5 with a VLB adapter chip just wasn't as reliable. Likewise, the combo PCI/VLB chipsets weren't very reliable.

Reply 21 of 28, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Freak wrote:
dnewhous wrote:

The article states that the VLB was P5 compatible, not P6, so if you fixed the timing glitch the best CPU would be

VLB was itself basically just an extension of the 486 processor and memory bus. It was "natively" compatible with 486 CPUs - later CPUs needed to have a "translator" in the chipset. Such translators were made for Pentiums, but by the time of P6, PCI was well and fully established, so there was no need for VLB on P6. The "486 extension" nature of the bus makes the 486 by far the most reliable CPU for VLB - P5 with a VLB adapter chip just wasn't as reliable. Likewise, the combo PCI/VLB chipsets weren't very reliable.

In fact the OPTi 822 bridge was the other way around: The P5 VLB boards were VLB and the PCI bus was bridged. This was very reliable but not very fast.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 22 of 28, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote:

Anywhere from 486 to Pentium 233 MMX is the DOS gaming era, basically the whole 90s.

🤣 No. The DOS era stretches back a lot further than a 486 and the 90s.

firage wrote:

What's best depends on what you want it to do.

This will always be the million dollar question. Be it "pure DOS" or simply "DOS" - it ultimately depends on what you want to do. DOS is an OS that spans two decades, and there were a heck of a lot of clock speed-dependent software titles released during that period.

The term is truly subjective when it comes to a choosing a machine - You could try to hit a single, specific period, have multiple machines to cover different periods, or go for the fastest and attempt to slow it down manually via utilities.

Anonymous Freak wrote:

As for "pure DOS" - even as late as the release of the Pentium II, there were still people running MS-DOS / PC-DOS / DR-DOS as their primary operating system. IBM released "PC DOS 2000" in 1998 as the "non-Windows latest release of DOS." And of course FreeDOS/OpenDOS released versions long after that.

It really depends on what you are aiming for. if you are aiming for "most modern stereotypical processor of the MS-DOS era," I'd go for a 133 MHz Pentium non-MMX. It as the top-end processor that was current at the time of Windows 95's release.

Bolding what I consider an important differentiation for this thread.

dnewhous wrote:

I have just learned from looking at the specs for 1997 DOS titles on Moby Games, that the VLB issue misses the point. The top DOS titles used the Glide API and required 3dfx PCI video cards.

So are you shooting for what Anonymous Freak termed "the most modern stereotypical processor of the MS-DOS era?"

And naturally, the MS-DOS era ends after Windows 95 arrived and not when it arrived - there was definitely some solid overlap time when DOS entered its twilight years.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 23 of 28, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CkRtech wrote:
James-F wrote:

Anywhere from 486 to Pentium 233 MMX is the DOS gaming era, basically the whole 90s.

🤣 No. The DOS era stretches back a lot further than a 486 and the 90s.

I'm well aware of that. 😎
I'm talking about the defining VGA era of DOS games from 1989 to 1998.

What would you choose to cover that ground?

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 24 of 28, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dnewhous wrote:
I think you need to make a distinction between the CPU speed and the FSB (front side bus) speed. […]
Show full quote
FGB wrote:

"The usual story is..." - Well, what if "the story" isn't true? Read the VESA specs and tell the story again!

I think you need to make a distinction between the CPU speed and the FSB (front side bus) speed.

The glitch is mentioned on the wikipedia,

As bus speeds of 486 systems increased, VLB stability became increasingly difficult to manage. The tightly coupled local bus design that gave VLB its speed became increasingly intolerant of timing variations - notably past 40 MHz. Intel's original 50 MHz 486 processor faced difficulty in the market as many existing motherboards (even non-VLB designs) did not cope well with the increase in front side bus speed to 50 MHz. If one could achieve reliable operation of VLB at 50 MHz it was extremely fast – but again, this was notoriously difficult to achieve, and often it was discovered not to be possible with a given hardware configuration.[3]
The 486DX-50's successor, the 486DX2-66, circumvented this problem by using a slower but more compatible bus speed (33 MHz) and a multiplier (×2) to derive the processor clock speed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Local_Bus

Tillamook 0.25 µm 166–300 MHz 32 KB 66 MHz Socket 7 August 1997

Umm, did you read my posting(s)? Maybe you were busy creating ten new threads while reading my answer to you 🤣 , but I was referring to the FSB speed of the CPU in my posting. The internal clock speed is not relevant for the VLB. For a bus the bus speed matters.
Wikipedia doesn't say otherwise as I posted before. And just because Wikipedia says it was "notoriously difficult to achieve" the 50MHz bus speed doesn't make it impossible or unlikely or a rare occurance. Wikipedia is one great source to learn things. But only one source out of many. Wikipedia isn't a fact book.

So again: VLB was specified for 40MHz bus speed maximum. That doesn't imply that more bus speed would "break" the bus as you told the "usual" story. It just becomes harder to achieve as therefore wasn't recommended for the casual user because several different parameters came into play such as cache timings, memory waitstates, clock dividers and the fact that having one card working at 50MHz FSB was only the beginning. The really hard part was to find a mathing controller card for the graphics card.

Regarding VLB implementations on other than the 486 platform:
I also wrote about this. Seems you missed it, too.

dnewhous wrote:

Tillamook 0.25 µm 166–300 MHz 32 KB 66 MHz Socket 7 August 1997

The Tillamook is not a native desktop processor and can't be used on any VLB board without several hardware mods. It is possible, yes, but only as a demonstration of feasability. It was no upgrade path at all back in the day.

"VLB is P5 compatible" doesn't mean any P5 CPU is VLB compatible. P5 is a processor architecture while VLB is a bus implementation on the motherboard. There are no Socket 7 (P5) motherboards with the VLB - the last Socket with VLB was Socket 5 (also P5). These boards support 3.xVolt single voltage CPUs only. So no Socket 7 CPUs, no split volage CPUs (iMMX, K6-2, ...).
Of course one can use a Socket 5 board with a voltage adaptor, but that's another story.
Featurewise the IDT Winchip may be the latest CPU that may work in those Socket 5 boards with VLB bus, but in the real world it was like this back in the day:

1. Socket 4 VLB: Pentium 60 (most), Pentium 66 (few), Pentium 133 Overdrive (very few)
2. Socket 5 VLB: Pentium 75 (most), Pentium 90 (common), Pentium 100 (common)

Last edited by FGB on 2016-10-21, 08:17. Edited 7 times in total.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 25 of 28, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote:

Ahh. Didn't know. Lots of stuff going on in this thread - MS-DOS era processors, "pure DOS," and VLB vs PCI, bus speeds.... 😎

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 26 of 28, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CkRtech wrote:
James-F wrote:

Ahh. Didn't know. Lots of stuff going on in this thread - MS-DOS era processors, "pure DOS," and VLB vs PCI, bus speeds.... 😎

Well, reading the OP I assumed we are talking about write-back cache (Pentium), 1996 games and DOS era processors.

IntelDX4WB-100... with write-back L1.
Isn't it basically a Pentium 100?

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 27 of 28, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote:

Well, reading the OP I assumed we are talking about write-back cache (Pentium), 1996 games and DOS era processors.

Despite this, I am still not quite clear where the OP was going with the line of questions/clarification. That may also be why the thread fragmented the way it did.

Last edited by CkRtech on 2016-10-21, 08:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 28, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
James-F wrote:

IntelDX4WB-100... with write-back L1.
Isn't it basically a Pentium 100?

Not at all. Two totally different architectures and the Intel 486 doesn't even come close to matching a Pentium 100 MHz in terms of integer or floating point performance.
Refer: The Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison