VOGONS

First post, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,

yesterday finally I set up all the elements that I needed to test my 486 build.

I use Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 motherboard. I set the jumpers in accordance with the instructions on Asus website. First I attempted running it with 486DX2/66, later switched to 486DX/33. I tried three different RAM modules, two PSUs and two cards (i am not sure if they work).

The symptoms are as follows:

- There is only one faint beep EXACTLY when the PSU is turned on and another one when it's turned off. There are no other beeps so far (maybe I'm connecting the buzzer wrong, but I don't think that's the issue).
- The CPU gets slightly warm.
- There is no reaction on the monitor whatsoever.

I inspected the board and I see no visible signs of damage, as cut traces, etc. All the chips are in their sockets. As far as I see, the jumpers are also right.

I am desperate to get this mobo running. Could you advice me what to do?

I post the picture of my current settings below:

20161222_082008_zpsidlludsa.jpg

Reply 1 of 58, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Go bare bones, remove the graphics card and see if you get any beeps. If not, make sure the speaker is properly connected and then remove the ram and do the same.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 6 of 58, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do RAM modules need to be double sided to work in this board in single slot?

Have you tested two RAM modules a the same time?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8 of 58, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you set the voltage correctly? The CPUs you've tested are 5V, but the board can do 3.3V. It might be jumpered to 3.3V from a previous installed CPU

Do the keyboard LED (numlock, caps, scroll lock) blink when you turn it on?
Try removing all cache chips.

EDIT: Also the manual/info on ASUS.com is not 100% correct for all revisions. Check the full manual here with some more info attached:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=28,0

EDIT2: You have the 2.0 rev, so the voltage is set automatically. The JP32 is only to set for Cyrix CPUs

EDIT3: You're sure the board makes no contact with the backplate? I've seen boards behave like this if they do (short circuit protection)

Reply 9 of 58, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Vets,

some great suggestions. Thanks. I'll check at home. It seems like for the current CPU I'm using I should set

JP16 1-2, 5-6 short
JP17 4-5 short
JP18 4-5 short
JP19 All Open
JP20 4-5 short
JP21 All Open for 3x clk, (2-3 short for 2x clk)
JP22 1-2, 4-5 short

- and this is different from what was written in time manual I used.

I will also verify the backplate issue.

As to the keyboard, I only have Model M with PS/2 connector and no adapter, so I'll be able to verify it later.

Reply 10 of 58, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Were you looking at the AMD settings?

Should be:
JP16 1-2, 5-6 short
JP17 1-2, 5-6 short
JP18 1-2, 5-6 short
JP19 1-2 short
JP20 All Open for 3x clk, (5-6 for 2.5x clk, 1-2 short for 2x clk)
JP21 All Open
JP22 1-2 short

For Intel DX and DX2 CPUs

Also remember: JP11 to 2&3
JP5 and JP6 to 1&2 and 2&3

EDIT: From what I can see from your picture you have all open on JP20, which means the CPU is trying to boot at 100mhz (3x33mhz).

Reply 12 of 58, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Have you set the voltage correctly? The CPUs you've tested are 5V, but the board can do 3.3V. It might be jumpered to 3.3V from a previous installed CPU

I used to test using a spare DX-50 or DX-40 or even an expendable SX or so (usually these are 5v chips) and setting the FSB to 33MHz at the most (thus underclocking the CPU).
This way there's a better chance of the board booting, even though the chip won't get its default voltage supplied to it and also no risk of accidentally frying a 3.3v chip this way 😀

The large "1" seems to be pin 1 for the CPU socket and the memory module seems to be in the correct memory slot. Please also verify there's no corrosion in the memory slot on the motherboard. 2 different kinds of metal material tended to be used and there's the possibility that the first bank has corroded due to that. Have you tried cleaning the contacts of the memory module with either rubbing alcohol or a pencil eraser?

I do remember faintly having had an issue with a very soft beep, but I can't remember what was causing this.

vetz wrote:

Do RAM modules need to be double sided to work in this board in single slot?

Have you tested two RAM modules a the same time?

Could it be that this board actually requires parity modules? The current module doesn't seem to be parity, it might be worth a check.

dondiego wrote:

Go bare bones, remove the graphics card and see if you get any beeps. If not, make sure the speaker is properly connected and then remove the ram and do the same.

And this.

For some reason Photobucket seems to not want to cooperate, so can't take a closer look at the board.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 58, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is possible that one of your capacitors shorted. View this thread, AMI Mark V Baby Screamer 386 dies spontaneously
When you power on the system, does the PSU's fan turn, or is the PSU in circuit protection mode?

Also, if you could upload a high resolution photo of your board to Vogons which clearly show every jumper configuration, it would be helpful. In that photo, you should have the CPU installed that you are jumpered for. In my experience, this motherboard is one of the more difficult board to get jumpered properly.

I wonder if there is an issue with your BIOS. I highly recommend using the BIOS update available for this board, which is needed for Am5x86 chips. Perhaps whoever owned this board previously tried to flash the BIOS on this board, which cannot be done directly. I believe all these boarded contain UV EPROM BIOS chips. If you try to flash those you will destroy the contents and the board won't be bootable. In such a case, you need to buy a EEPROM chip and flash it with the latest BIOS, preferably using an external BIOS programmer.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 15 of 58, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thank you all!

The problem remains - what may be of importance, those initial beeps on power on/off were actually not there... I used the piezo speaker that was much more sensitive than the usual PC speaker, that's why. In case of the normal case speaker, it's only audible that there is some power getting to the speaker on power on, but no beep (i run bare bones, as you suggested).

I have inspected the board for any signs of damage. Did not find any. The PSU does not seem to work in any particular mode... the fan is whirling normally at least.

I uploaded high resolution photo:

ASjpg_aeprpqw.jpg

I reviewed the jumper settings again and I can find no error here.

What is left to be done:
- today I'll try to have the new BIOS written to the new EEPROM;
- I need to connect keyboard as soon as I get it to see how the leds work;
- Maybe removing cache chips;
- Checking capacitators for short.

Reply 16 of 58, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tikoellner wrote:
thank you all! […]
Show full quote

thank you all!

The problem remains - what may be of importance, those initial beeps on power on/off were actually not there... I used the piezo speaker that was much more sensitive than the usual PC speaker, that's why. In case of the normal case speaker, it's only audible that there is some power getting to the speaker on power on, but no beep (i run bare bones, as you suggested).

I have inspected the board for any signs of damage. Did not find any. The PSU does not seem to work in any particular mode... the fan is whirling normally at least.

I uploaded high resolution photo

I reviewed the jumper settings again and I can find no error here.

What is left to be done:
- today I'll try to have the new BIOS written to the new EEPROM;
- I need to connect keyboard as soon as I get it to see how the leds work;
- Maybe removing cache chips;
- Checking capacitators for short.

For all further tests please install at least 2 RAM modules not just one.
Hope the new BIOS Chip will help. This is often the source of non booting old boards.

Reply 17 of 58, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
moturimi1 wrote:

For all further tests please install at least 2 RAM modules not just one.
Hope the new BIOS Chip will help. This is often the source of non booting old boards.

Should not be necessary, as according to the manual, this board is designed for 1 RAM module if it's the correct type and placed in correct slot:

Sockets 0 & 2 can use either single or double-sided SIMMS of various sizes. Sockets 1 & 3 can use only single -sided SIMMs og various sizes. Module size options are:
Single sided - 1MB, 4MB, 16MB
Double-sided - 2MB, 8MB, 32MB
Parity: Either parity or non-parity

So if you have a single sided 8MB RAM module that might not work according to this info.

Reply 18 of 58, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ The way I read that, that means you either use two single-sided SIMMs in slots 0 and 2, or two double-sided SIMMs in slot 0 and 2, so two memory modules. There's no explicit mention of the board being able to boot with only one SIMM.

Reply 19 of 58, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

^ The way I read that, that means you either use two single-sided SIMMs in slots 0 and 2, or two double-sided SIMMs in slot 0 and 2, so two memory modules. There's no explicit mention of the board being able to boot with only one SIMM.

I own the board myself and I only have a single doublesided 32MB FPM module installed in slot 0. The board have booted with that since I got it back 2012.

Also if you look in the manual at page 12 in the PDF file, you'll see the possible memory configurations, which lists it's possible to use only one module.

Same list is available here: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/AS … 6SV2G-VL-I.html