VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to install Win98 SE but after the second round and what should be rebooting into 'Starting your computer for the first time' it crashes, reboots and goes to Safe Mode. I was testing XP yesterday because it was the only way to test my GeForce 7800 GS so the system is stable.

I did have a Geforce 6800 GT which was working in a Win98 install in another mobo so that should be ok.
I only have 512MB of RAM in
CPU is P4 3.0GHz

I would like to try installing chipset drivers but I cannot find 875 drivers for 98SE. Anyone know if they exist?

Am I at a dead end?

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 10, by Gatewayuser200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can try combing through driverguide.com for the driver you seek.
http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php? … a321e7b8ded57e4 - This one seems promising, but it could be mislabeled.

Edit:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/147 … s?product=50358

From Intel, It was intended for the D875PBZ.

Last edited by Gatewayuser200 on 2017-03-13, 10:54. Edited 2 times in total.

"network down, IP packets delivered via UPS" - BOFH
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

Reply 3 of 10, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i875p and i865pe are the same generation, essentially the same chipset (i875p has some performance optimizations enabled which are blocked by default on i865pe). Strange that there would be drivers for 865pe but not 875p. The southbridge for both is the same (ICH5/ICH5R).

Regardless of this, I don't think Win98SE is a good OS for such a system.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How many storage controllers / ports does that board have?

And what else is in that machine?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 10, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I decided to get a new board and chip instead. I ordered an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe and an Athlon 64 3000+ w/ stock heatsink, both supposedly new but mobo was tested. I'll have the nvidia 6800 GT, 512MB RAM. a Turtle Beach Vortex 2 card, piped through a SB Extigy. Maybe I'll get the best of A3D and EAX? We'll see.

Yes Phil, I'm trying to go for your Voodoo5 on a budget.

I'll still see about doing something with the Dell. I still have plenty of 512MB stick and another 6800 GT

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 7 of 10, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

please report back on your experience, because I'm also considering trying the same and can't choose between an FX 5950 Ultra and a 6600GT or 6800GT, I hear the GF 6xxx are lacking native fog table support and 8bit palletized textures support, while the FX5xxx has them, so its supposedly more compatible with older games, but on the other hand GF 6xxx are true DX9 cards so they might be better for nglide. Phil's test in Unreal showed the FX5800 performs well enough with nglide, but he hasn't tested it in all Glide games, so I wonder if there's any Glide games where the nerfed DX9 capabilities of the FX 5xxx can cause issues?

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 8 of 10, by Tommaso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IMHO the best graphics card for a retro Win98 SE system is the Geforce FX5950. It is great for older Direct X games all the way to Direct X 8. It even plays old games in DOS without any problems, at least the ones I have tried. I just finished Ultima 4 with this card.

Tommaso

Reply 9 of 10, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got the 6800 because it was $8. For another $8, I got a BFG 7800 GS. That one I'm selling to help fund my retro fix.