VOGONS

Missing heatsink

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I have an ASUS TUV4X board but the northbridge heatsink is missing, I checked my spare's I have none that fit, any suggestions can the VIA Apollo PRo 133T run without a heatsink, can I use my artic alumina adhesive to attach a heatsink from say a dead TNT2 to it, what are my options?

Reply 1 of 6, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I'm betting you won't need a heat sink if your not overclocking and have good case air flow. But I'd wait for others to comment first.

That being said I'd buy the right heatsibk for the board and not use adhesive. That is unless your low on funds and all ready have the stuff to do it.

Reply 2 of 6, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's the board from the recycler I tested for post and it posts ill install 9x this weekend and do a stability test

Reply 3 of 6, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're not worried about authenticity of the board, any heatsink will do. If it were me, I'd use the one you have from the TNT2. I pull heatsinks from dead hardware specifically for instances like this.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 4 of 6, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Search google / ebay for "zalman northbridge"

Pick one that suits your aesthetics.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I second the suggestions for using adhesive with an existing spare heatsink. It is not like the TDP of the VIA Apollo chipset is very high, off the top of my head I would say it is 15 watts max? Well within the thermal design of any dead AGP card or other passive heatsink you may have on hand.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 6, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alright well the TNT2 on is glued on and nice and square, I'll use some acetone to remove the old glue on it, and possible the paint so I get a nice bare metal look, then adhesive it it to my Apollo Pro.