1.36 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 181 of 196, by HiroSK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, can't find any info about this board... Any idea about jumpers? For example where is turbo connector? External battery?

Suntac V2.06 (or V2.08) (wrote on board) Protek (wrote on board) BIOS 3.03HL "LOGO STAR" (shown under BIOS version line) AMD N80L286-10/S 1MB memory DIP switch (looks the same as on other Suntac boards)
ST62C005-B ST62BC00I-B ? ST62BC001-B ? ST62BC002-B ST62BC004-BI ST62BC003-B

Attachments

Reply 183 of 196, by zecahue

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2019-06-25, 13:41:
My collection of Suntac motherboards... all working perfectly fine. […]
Show full quote

My collection of Suntac motherboards... all working perfectly fine.

suntac1.jpg

suntac2.jpg

suntac3.jpg

suntac4.jpg

suntac5.jpg

Hi : )

I have got a board with pretty much the same layout as yours but there is no DIP Switch, making it hard to right config the 4 sipp (1mb each) I am trying to install. There is a space designed to be a DIP but it is empty. The supposed sw1 and sw2 have both a jumper each, the rest are empty.

The board POST appears to be normal with 1mb onboard.

I am planning to remove the 2 jumpers and add a switcher or just add more jumpers, but the question is which of the 3 contacts do I have to short?

qteCFARe_t.jpg

ZrInxcdU_t.jpg

Reply 184 of 196, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zecahue wrote on 2023-04-21, 19:57:
Hi : ) […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

suntac1.jpg

suntac2.jpg

suntac3.jpg

suntac4.jpg

suntac5.jpg

I have got a board with pretty much the same layout as yours but there is no DIP Switch, making it hard to right config the 4 sipp (1mb each) I am trying to install. There is a space designed to be a DIP but it is empty. The supposed sw1 and sw2 have both a jumper each, the rest are empty.

I am planning to remove the 2 jumpers and add a switcher or just add more jumpers, but the question is which of the 3 contacts do I have to short?

qteCFARe_t.jpg

ZrInxcdU_t.jpg

Looking at the pictures (Re: Suntac 80286 Mainboards), board 2, 3, 4 & 5 all seem to be the same board. One of them has SIPP memory, the ohers DIPP. However, the switches that correspond with the two jumpers you have on your board seem to be same for all boards.

I guess you can try to jumper the two headers and see what happens?

Edit: this is the board from that post with the SIPPs installed (for anyone else who cares to take a look); download/file.php?id=65078&mode=view

Reply 185 of 196, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zecahue wrote on 2023-04-21, 19:57:
Hi : ) […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

suntac1.jpg

suntac2.jpg

suntac3.jpg

suntac4.jpg

suntac5.jpg

qteCFARe_t.jpg

ZrInxcdU_t.jpg

I found even more of these Suntacs since the post with the pics above. All of them have these DIP switches. They are used to configure memory size but they show different behaviour on some of these boards. I would say - if your board works fine and detects all of 4 or 5 MB of installed memory (because some will support max of 1 in DIP chips or 4 in SIPP modules and some apparently can support both types at once, although I never tried to configure them like this) - leave it alone, there would be no advantage in installing more jumpers or dip switches.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 186 of 196, by flakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update... Well i have a pile (>10) of these suntac boards. All of them are dead. seems like the chipset and board were just not up to the Test of time. Shame as they could have been a nice board but are now a source of BIOS chips and RAM. They are a mix of DIP and SIP, Jumpers and switches.

Reply 187 of 196, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote on 2019-09-05, 22:05:
This one has BIOS "Award 0N3.03 NFS" with a "DISK STEP RATE" option. This is new to me, related to the floppy..? SUNTAC Award 0N […]
Show full quote

This one has BIOS "Award 0N3.03 NFS" with a "DISK STEP RATE" option. This is new to me, related to the floppy..?
SUNTAC Award 0N3.03 NFS.RAR
SUNTAC Award 0N3.03 NFS-A.JPG
SUNTAC Award 0N3.03 NFS-B.JPG
SUNTAC_2019-09-B-NFS.jpg

Can someone tell how to chance the C / H / S / P parametres on drive type 42 till 47.. I dont know how the switch to those columns.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 188 of 196, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote on 2017-12-13, 17:15:
Hehe you cant compare this. When I remember 100 g of chocolate cost 0,49 DM in the 80s ... now its 1,29€ ;-) Therefore it would […]
Show full quote

Hehe you cant compare this. When I remember 100 g of chocolate cost 0,49 DM in the 80s ... now its 1,29€ 😉 Therefore it would be around 1000€. Which is still quite cheap for an up to date PC with Harddisk and Monitor.

Scanned the Manual.
TCI Trident Computer Inc. Oct 01 1987
Suntac TCI EMS-286.pdf

Wiring diagrams are exactly the same I posted above.
TCI.jpg

Is it possible to scan this sharper. I need it for diagnose. But its hardly readable.

Attachments

• sharper.jpg
    Filename
    sharper.jpg
    File size
    219.47 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 189 of 196, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote on 2024-04-02, 02:22:

Is it possible to scan this sharper. I need it for diagnose. But its hardly readable.

Is that from Mainbaord-0016.jpg in the first page of the thread? This is not a problem with scanning, the original paper schematic is just poorly printed so some letters and digits have to be guessed. Nothing can be done about that unless someone finds (or draws) better quality schematic.

Reply 191 of 196, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote on 2024-04-02, 15:58:

Original file looks better..

Mainbaord-0016r.jpg

Iam looking for the whole thing (layout) with the Keyboard controller (8742) on it too. I have to check these vias and traces if they all are working..

And that schematic is very handy for that purpose.

Reply 192 of 196, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Filename
Mainbaord-0014r.rar
File size
1.34 MiB
Downloads
5 downloads
File license
Filename
Mainbaord-0015r.rar
File size
1.31 MiB
Downloads
5 downloads
File license
Filename
Mainbaord-0016r.rar
File size
1.32 MiB
Downloads
5 downloads
File license
Filename
Mainbaord-0017r.rar
File size
1.35 MiB
Downloads
4 downloads
File license

Reply 193 of 196, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote on 2017-11-24, 16:03:
Yeah got it :-) :-) :-) […]
Show full quote

Yeah got it 😀 😀 😀

Bought these (retro) hardware today

This is almost the exact board I was searching for a long time: ST62M02-B. The manual I posted above and belonging to my 1st Computer is a ST62M02-A. I remember the CPU was in standard PLCC socket and the DIPs were red.

Already desoldered the battery.

It came with an AMI Diagnostic BIOS I have not seen before:

(C)1987AMI,404-263-8181
01/03/88286-ROM DIAGNOSTICS.(C)1987, American Megatrends Inc.All rights reserved.
4025 pleasantdale road, Suite-320,GA.-30340, Phone-(404)-263-8181.

Will post the BIOS later...

IMG_9910r.jpg
IMG_9889r.jpg
IMG_9898r.jpg
IMG_9899r.jpg

Do you have the bios from this board?

Reply 194 of 196, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote on 2023-11-17, 12:23:

Can someone tell how to chance the C / H / S / P parametres on drive type 42 till 47.. I dont know how the switch to those columns.

Not sure if you got an answer to that or not but if the values are zeros and can't be changed it's probably a BIOS that can't accept custom values. In other words you need a HDD that matches one of the predefined entries, or exceeds the values and will not be fully used. In general these mobos/BIOSes expected MFM HDDs to be used. The easiest way to get around this problem (other than trying a different, newer BIOS) is to use XTIDE ROM extension or perhaps a SCSI card and HDD.

Reply 195 of 196, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deunan wrote on 2024-04-08, 10:15:
Robin4 wrote on 2023-11-17, 12:23:

Not sure if you got an answer to that or not but if the values are zeros and can't be changed it's probably a BIOS that can't accept custom values. In other words you need a HDD that matches one of the predefined entries, or exceeds the values and will not be fully used. In general these mobos/BIOSes expected MFM HDDs to be used. The easiest way to get around this problem (other than trying a different, newer BIOS) is to use XTIDE ROM extension or perhaps a SCSI card and HDD.

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

Iam only know that a certain AMI bios have User Define type 47 settings for the harddisk.
Yeah i know about those predefined entrie HDDs.. Only dont like that small amount of HDD space in 2024. And matching old drives are hard to find.
I got a 40MB AT HDD that works with the board (only the Cylinder count is a little bit off) But i want a bigger drive like 200 - 420MB. Because most of the software is installed on the hdd anyway. (just for easy comfort)
I could override those bios settings to go with an ESDI driver (are hard to find now days) or SCSI driver (not very handy for the long run when the drive actually would fail, and have to look for another working drive.
Yeah iam looking for an other bios which matching the boards i have, but dont like the XTIDE stuf on those machines.

I was more looking if there was a Phoenix bios that also have those User define type 47 setting.. ( yeah i know that i have to look at the most recent bios as possible.)