VOGONS


First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Plucked it out of a machine today, at first thought "damn, I already got a vlb card for $50 from ebay that's not here yet" - went looking for drivers, can't find one for 95. Installed what must be a 3.1 one without realizing, it had a ton of inf drivers for every color and resolution combination (along with small and large fonts) - installed them, windows said it couldn't figure out what res to use and I got an interlaced picture. I thought that just about any card that's vlb would work fine on 95! Apparently not!

Reply 1 of 6, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I would think that the drivers for that card come built in to Windows 95, May be try installing a Direct X 6.1 It contains some updated cirrus drivers, http://www.falconfly.de/directx.htm

Reply 2 of 6, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
i486_inside wrote:

I would think that the drivers for that card come built in to Windows 95, May be try installing a Direct X 6.1 It contains some updated cirrus drivers, http://www.falconfly.de/directx.htm

Went to remove my current driver, now the card isn't in device manager yet it comes up in advanced display properties - with change greyed out. I deleted the two driver files, that still didn't work, even putting a totally different video card in didn't work, going to reinstall windows. Also, running the setup for directx 6.1 prompted me to reinstall - haven't installed it before, and I'm on win95a.

Reply 3 of 6, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Try installing the driver through device manager, use the DXCIRRUS.INF from the drivers folder, Now that I think about it I think I had some issues with the display on my Packard Bell P60 machine that uses a Cirrus card and I think that I used the driver with DirectX to fix it but that was 3 years ago and it was something I did after at like 5am after I had been up all night so I don't remember exactly what I did.

Reply 4 of 6, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
i486_inside wrote:

Try installing the driver through device manager, use the DXCIRRUS.INF from the drivers folder, Now that I think about it I think I had some issues with the display on my Packard Bell P60 machine that uses a Cirrus card and I think that I used the driver with DirectX to fix it but that was 3 years ago and it was something I did after at like 5am after I had been up all night so I don't remember exactly what I did.

I think I'll just wait for my cirrus vlb to come from ebay that has a native 95 driver.

EDIT: that worked fine, thanks!

Reply 5 of 6, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
bluejeans wrote:

EDIT: that worked fine, thanks!

Nice to know my memory isn't failing me, because I couldn't remember if the DX drivers worked or if I had found a working driver on an obscure FTP or if I used one of those questionable driver downloads that includes adware (driverguide I'm looking in your direction.)

Reply 6 of 6, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
i486_inside wrote:
bluejeans wrote:

EDIT: that worked fine, thanks!

Nice to know my memory isn't failing me, because I couldn't remember if the DX drivers worked or if I had found a working driver on an obscure FTP or if I used one of those questionable driver downloads that includes adware (driverguide I'm looking in your direction.)

So duke3d doesn't care how little video ram you have, as long as the card is vlb? Can't even remember if it has more than one resolution now.