VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Plucked it out of a machine today, at first thought "damn, I already got a vlb card for $50 from ebay that's not here yet" - went looking for drivers, can't find one for 95. Installed what must be a 3.1 one without realizing, it had a ton of inf drivers for every color and resolution combination (along with small and large fonts) - installed them, windows said it couldn't figure out what res to use and I got an interlaced picture. I thought that just about any card that's vlb would work fine on 95! Apparently not!

Reply 1 of 10, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would think that the drivers for that card come built in to Windows 95, May be try installing a Direct X 6.1 It contains some updated cirrus drivers, http://www.falconfly.de/directx.htm

Reply 2 of 10, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
i486_inside wrote:

I would think that the drivers for that card come built in to Windows 95, May be try installing a Direct X 6.1 It contains some updated cirrus drivers, http://www.falconfly.de/directx.htm

Went to remove my current driver, now the card isn't in device manager yet it comes up in advanced display properties - with change greyed out. I deleted the two driver files, that still didn't work, even putting a totally different video card in didn't work, going to reinstall windows. Also, running the setup for directx 6.1 prompted me to reinstall - haven't installed it before, and I'm on win95a.

Reply 3 of 10, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try installing the driver through device manager, use the DXCIRRUS.INF from the drivers folder, Now that I think about it I think I had some issues with the display on my Packard Bell P60 machine that uses a Cirrus card and I think that I used the driver with DirectX to fix it but that was 3 years ago and it was something I did after at like 5am after I had been up all night so I don't remember exactly what I did.

Reply 4 of 10, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
i486_inside wrote:

Try installing the driver through device manager, use the DXCIRRUS.INF from the drivers folder, Now that I think about it I think I had some issues with the display on my Packard Bell P60 machine that uses a Cirrus card and I think that I used the driver with DirectX to fix it but that was 3 years ago and it was something I did after at like 5am after I had been up all night so I don't remember exactly what I did.

I think I'll just wait for my cirrus vlb to come from ebay that has a native 95 driver.

EDIT: that worked fine, thanks!

Reply 5 of 10, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bluejeans wrote:

Nice to know my memory isn't failing me, because I couldn't remember if the DX drivers worked or if I had found a working driver on an obscure FTP or if I used one of those questionable driver downloads that includes adware (driverguide I'm looking in your direction.)

Reply 6 of 10, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
i486_inside wrote:
bluejeans wrote:

Nice to know my memory isn't failing me, because I couldn't remember if the DX drivers worked or if I had found a working driver on an obscure FTP or if I used one of those questionable driver downloads that includes adware (driverguide I'm looking in your direction.)

So duke3d doesn't care how little video ram you have, as long as the card is vlb? Can't even remember if it has more than one resolution now.

Reply 7 of 10, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just double checked the directx6 content and the updated drivers seem to be just for gd5429 and upwards.

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 / 386SX25@30 / 16MB / CL-GD5434 / CT2830/ SCC-1&MT32 / Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320
2) SIS486 / 486DX/2 66(@80) / 32MB / TGUI9440 / LAPC-I

Reply 8 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bluejeans wrote on 2017-06-28, 12:43:
i486_inside wrote:
bluejeans wrote:

So duke3d doesn't care how little video ram you have, as long as the card is vlb? Can't even remember if it has more than one resolution now.

Duke3D is a dos game so doesn't care about DX or windows drivers at all.

No game cares if your using ISA, VLB, PCI, AGP, PCIE or whatever else. Newer connectors allow for faster I/O but doesn't always mean a faster card.
e.g. a PCI GF2 will still outperform a AGP TNT card.

Dos games only care about VESA mode which is handled by the card in hardware, no drivers needed.

The memory allows for different resolutions both Dos games and Windows desktop.
eg 1024x768 16 colour requires 1.5MB or 2.25 if you want to change that to 24 bit colour
This link has a full table of how much memory is needed per resolution.
https://www.danielsevo.com/bocg/bocg_screenres.htm

Reply 9 of 10, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Marco wrote on 2024-03-05, 22:34:

Just double checked the directx6 content and the updated drivers seem to be just for gd5429 and upwards.

5429 was the fist in the "Alpine" series of Cirrus Logic chips. It was the first PCI/VLB chip. The 5428 was VLB/ISA. Microsoft probably didn't bother with ISA chipsets.

Reply 10 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah looked thru the Win95 MDN and WDL drivers (those not included internally in Win95) and no Cirrus 5426.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun