VOGONS

Lets make new M919 Cache sticks?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 115, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
turbooo wrote on 2022-01-25, 06:40:

I bought one of your 256k sticks at the beginning of the month (should have checked this thread first, whoops) and it’s working great so far. A 1MB stick does sound tempting though…

What kind of performance increase do you see in Windows with the bump in cache size?

I haven't done much performance comparison between cache sizes in Windows, just DOS so far (and some stability testing in Windows.) Any suggestions of things you want me to test? I'm usually using Win9x on much faster systems so I'm coming up blank on what to run on '95 on a 486.

Reply 61 of 115, by turbooo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pancakepuppy wrote on 2022-01-25, 06:46:

I haven't done much performance comparison between cache sizes in Windows, just DOS so far (and some stability testing in Windows.) Any suggestions of things you want me to test? I'm usually using Win9x on much faster systems so I'm coming up blank on what to run on '95 on a 486.

Hmm good question, I guess there isn’t such a thing as Phil’s Windows benchmark pack for easy data collection. I recall reading somewhere on the forum that the cache boost would be more beneficial in Windows than in DOS so I was curious if that actually panned out.

Reply 62 of 115, by crazytiti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe doing some winzip compression.
Another vogons thread suggest Winstone and Winbench 96 availiable here :
https://archive.org/details/PCMagBenchmark
Also i've got this old CPUmark 99 version 1.0 that made 725 points on my R5 3600 @ 4.3ghz.
Should work on W95
http://crazytiti.free.fr/divers/CPUmark.exe

Reply 65 of 115, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

256KB
5x86_256kb_cpuz.JPG
1MB
5x86_1mb_cpuz.JPG
CPU-Z doesn't seem to care

256KB
5x86_256kb_cpumark99.JPG
1MB
5x86_1mb_cpumark99.JPG
CPUmark 99 increases 10%

256KB
5x86_256kb_winstone96.JPG
1MB
5x86_1mb_winstone96.JPG
Overall Winstone 96 up about 5.5%

https://github.com/pancakepuppy/M919_3.3V_1MB_cachestick
Github for the 1MB 3.3V design. If you want to have your own boards made, change the silkscreen art on it, maybe have it built in a fun color, go nuts! I have 19 more PCBs and will be working on soldering them up. Those who have messaged me, I will get in touch with you when I have one ready for you 😀

Reply 66 of 115, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looked at your schematics, it's really good that A18 and A19 lines are present in the slot. Makes things much easier.

Is there any reason for choosing 3.3V SRAM chips other than general availability? I mean UM8881F is a 5V chip and probably expecting 5V signal levels. Should be fine this way at regular speeds like 33MHz and 40MHz, but I'm talking about 60MHz and 66MHz.

Another thing, 3.3V is generated by a single LDO that feeds the CPU and the board is really short on capacitors, ceramic ones especially. I don't think voltage stability is great on this rail as it is, and we're putting additional load. Could be a good idea to place a 3.3V LDO right on the cache stick PCB. Something like LM1117 or TLV1117 in SOT-223 as it doesn't take much space.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 67 of 115, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ph4nt0m wrote on 2022-01-27, 14:05:

Looked at your schematics, it's really good that A18 and A19 lines are present in the slot. Makes things much easier.

Is there any reason for choosing 3.3V SRAM chips other than general availability? I mean UM8881F is a 5V chip and probably expecting 5V signal levels. Should be fine this way at regular speeds like 33MHz and 40MHz, but I'm talking about 60MHz and 66MHz.

Another thing, 3.3V is generated by a single LDO that feeds the CPU and the board is really short on capacitors, ceramic ones especially. I don't think voltage stability is great on this rail as it is, and we're putting additional load. Could be a good idea to place a 3.3V LDO right on the cache stick PCB. Something like LM1117 or TLV1117 in SOT-223 as it doesn't take much space.

I went with parts I could get easily and didn't much care for having it work with 5V CPUs. Figured if the power situation was good enough for the original 3.3V cache sticks, should be fine for mine with more capacitance close to the SRAM power pins and more modern chips using a pinout optimized for power integrity. Operating above the spec 486 bus speeds wasn't a design criteria for me but if you want to make a revised PCB and leverage on-board regulation, go for it I say! I was aiming more at a "production optimized" design with as few parts as possible.

Reply 68 of 115, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure thing it will do the job without much overclocking. Just checked, those IDT71V124SA12Y chips you put in are rated at 130mA each. That's 1.2A additional current on that LDO regulator. It doesn't seem real tough, could be an issue.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 69 of 115, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ph4nt0m wrote on 2022-01-27, 17:11:

Sure thing it will do the job without much overclocking. Just checked, those IDT71V124SA12Y chips you put in are rated at 130mA each. That's 1.2A additional current on that LDO regulator. It doesn't seem real tough, could be an issue.

130mA operating at maximum frequency, sure. May be an issue in your cases of high bus speeds but for normal speeds, I'm not concerned with the chipset trying to access them nearly that fast/often. Would be more worried if the 3.3V pass transistors got more than slightly warm or if I had stability problems.

Edit: If you're looking for things to optimize, the address/data routing is less than optimal. Some rearranging of the data and address lines could probably make it a bit cleaner. I look forward to seeing your version! Have fun 😀

Reply 71 of 115, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
crazytiti wrote on 2022-03-22, 23:08:

Hello, any news about making the cache sticks ?

Been working on getting them sent out to interested parties, I'll message you before too long 😀

Reply 72 of 115, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ran some simple analysis on the M919 v3.4 and the 1024K module. These modules save the board. It looks like there is some performance bug around the 64 MB mark, which was limiting us to 32 MB of RAM. It looks like we now can jump up to 128 MB of RAM or 256 MB of RAM, not suffer from the "64MB bug", and still have all L2 cached. Table and analysis here: Re: 3 (+3 more) retro battle stations

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 73 of 115, by crazytiti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,
I've got the 1Mb stick from Pancake puppy.
Very nice stick, well assembled.
I had to switch the memory from "normal" to "EDO" to get it booting, otherwise it would hang after the table.
It's working fine.
Putting 14 fps in quake bench with AMD 486 dx4 120
and 15.2 fps with intel dx4 100 @120 !
All memory timings at the lowest.
I'm wondering if i have one of the fastest 486 ?

Reply 75 of 115, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've noticed my short distance starting to worsen in the last 2 years. I find reading glasses can help when working on electronics. Makes you feel old though.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 76 of 115, by mr-spain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pancakepuppy wrote on 2022-03-22, 23:29:

Been working on getting them sent out to interested parties, I'll message you before too long 😀

Know anyone that can design a 72 pin simm? I'm looking to make some 50ns fpm sticks and just cant find any reference kicad files whatsoever 🤣.

Reply 78 of 115, by rtstaley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Pancakepuppy,
do you have any left in stock?

Reply 79 of 115, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rtstaley wrote on 2022-11-19, 21:18:

Hello Pancakepuppy,
do you have any left in stock?

Nope, sorry. All out for now.