VOGONS

First post, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just wanted to make sure before I end up making a big deal out of this.

I got my MSI-6905 Master w/ socket 370 CPU today. Ran CPU-Z on it, and it identifies as a Pentium III EB 733Mhz, although the auction description listed it as a 1Ghz chip. Right now its running at 550Mhz as per mobo FSB but obviously not showing up as a 1ghz chip either way. (POST screens caps at 500Mhz)

I suppose short of taking the HSF off there is no way to really tell for sure, but I I'm curious about ebayers who have had to deal with auctions sold "as is" yet with incorrect information like this.

Reply 1 of 10, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

cpu-z will use CPUID instruction to identify the actual cpu + and its capabilities. you can take its results and go look them up if you dont trust CPU-Z

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 3 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I might be wrong but as I understand all pentium III cpus are multiplier locked, so if multiplier of your cpu is 5.5x, it would be 550Mhz at 100Mhz FSB and 733Mhz at FSB of 133Mhz and that would make it a 733Mhz cpu.
If I am wrong, I am sure someone corrects me.

Reply 5 of 10, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

I might be wrong but as I understand all pentium III cpus are multiplier locked, so if multiplier of your cpu is 5.5x, it would be 550Mhz at 100Mhz FSB and 733Mhz at FSB of 133Mhz and that would make it a 733Mhz cpu.
If I am wrong, I am sure someone corrects me.

I'm not positive about the lock (but pretty sure you're right) but yes there are 100mhz and 133mhz bus flavors. As said above, there is a CPUID instruction on processors going all the way back to the original pentium that cpu-z is "calling" which returns everything about the CPU including it's stepping, model, type, etc. If his motherboard is running at 100 bus a 1ghz cpu would run at 733mhz as you say(unless there is something up with the board or it doesn't support his model? or its running at 66mhz bus?? ). I suspect we're also talking about a P3 733 here though.

I do think CPU-Z shows the current operating speed but the specification up top should show more exact information. Is there any kind of Model showing in cpu-z you can go ahead and paste in google to check? Otherwise, I would pull the heatsink and check, it wouldn't hurt to put some fresh thermal compound on it anyway in the process of verifying seller didn't lie to you.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 6 of 10, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

here ya go.

edit: ugh I don't know why this board software always shows it rotated when the full size is shown proper orientation... plz click on it, thanks

IMG_0132 (Large).JPG
Filename
IMG_0132 (Large).JPG
File size
515.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 10, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah given that information and your bus speed I'm confident you have a 733.

Looks like the first stepping too
www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium-III/Inte ... 256E).html

On the black part at the bottom of the die you would probably see QM51, SL3T4, or SL3VM.

It's hard to know if ebayer is just guessing or lying.. I bought a machine last year that said it had an MMX 133 or some slow model but it ended up being a 233. So it can go either way =\

Reply 8 of 10, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just hate how ebay forces you to request a refund/return in these situations.... like, OK so maybe I got a CPU that wasn't what it was. What if he just wanted to offer me a partial refund I'd be happy to accept as deference? Just makes me feel like I'm being a dick. idk, I'm weird that way.

Reply 9 of 10, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neco wrote:

I just hate how ebay forces you to request a refund/return in these situations.... like, OK so maybe I got a CPU that wasn't what it was. What if he just wanted to offer me a partial refund I'd be happy to accept as deference? Just makes me feel like I'm being a dick. idk, I'm weird that way.

No you're not weird at all. I bought a VLB video card advertised as working last year and when I messaged the guy about if he really tested it or not he replied saying he tested it (I later found out the bios ROM was a dud), I went ahead and asked for a partial refund because I didn't feel like returning it. Reality was I just felt kinda bad because I've had people complain 'broken' to me about things that I sold them when I'm meticulous in testing, documenting, packaging, and being honest in my listings.

Maybe it broke in shipping. Maybe he needs this $30 to feed his kids.

Having a conscience can be bad in this world, because there are abusive people out there too 😒

Reply 10 of 10, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was offered and accepted a $15 partial refund. now I gotta decide what I'm gonna do with it, 🤣. I guess I could just keep it in this machine for now and hang on to it for historical reasons.

I've never owned a 1st stepping CPU before.