VOGONS

First post, by Compo Simmonite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, new member and straight in with a question if i may.

I was given a Compaq deskpro 2000 as well as the original ps2 keyboard and mouse the other day, that had spent its life in a cupboard as a barcode reader for clock cards and so physically is in very good condition. It was running win 2000, i have changed this to 98se and managed to keep the on disk bios intact.

The 2 gig disk though sounds like it is on its last legs, and i have tried fitting a larger disk to no avail - just throws up an error even with the 8 gig limit jumper fitted.

Also tried a 2 gig cf card in an adapter but also gives errors as you can only choose master or slave on the adapter, the hdd fitted is jumpered for cable select.

Any ideas please?

Will post up some pictures in due course.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by Compo Simmonite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Partial success, it seems that you cant (unless there's another way I didnt try) use drive overlay software which I need to get the BIOS to accept the drive (although it still needs an F1 press to boot) in conjunction with the Compaq setup floppies to retain the on disk setup utility.

Sacrificed the setup, Windows 98 installed, paired it with one of the monitors I got today until I can find a CRT. CD rom needs replacing for more appropriate type, and keyboard needs a good retrobrighting.

Pic..

20181103-174458.jpg

Reply 2 of 4, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice! I'm sorry I overlooked your first post. I use a hard disk reader (IDE2USB) combined with AOMEI Backupper Standard to clone the partition of my old hard disk to a CF-card. It doesn't always work, but many times I have succeeded this way. 😀

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 3 of 4, by Compo Simmonite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried cloning hdd to cf using dd in ubuntu, clone was successful but the compaq wont boot with anything other than cable select on the ide. My cf to ide adaptors both only have master/slave jumper so it was a no go, unless they are available with cs?

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SP4711.EXE or SP2579.EXE are the files you need to create the bios boot disk and seem to remember allowed you to create a bios partition on the HDD.
I'm not sure what the difference is between them though.