VOGONS

First post, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have problems with stability and performance on this one.

ALI-0.jpg

This motherboard seems interesting to me since it is one of the last chipsets that natively supports Tualatin processors, it has DDR and SDR slots and only ASUS produced them, and since ASUS makes solid boards I thought this one will give some good results in benchmarks.

ali-1.jpg

My configuration of this board is:
- ASUS TUA266 with DDR/SDR memory (512MB/512MB)
- Pentium3 1400-S Tualatin (SL6BY)
- GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128 MB AGP by Albatron (44.03 drivers)
- Windows 98 SE
- ALI AGP 1.90 drivers.
- 120GB HDD
- Fortron 300W PSU

When it comes to stabilty, I thought at first that this MOBO is broken since I got crashes all the time in most Direct 3D applications.
Installing different verions of ALI AGP drivers, and trying many drivers for VGA card didn’t help to solve that problem in any way.
Finally, I discovered that disabling the PCI ENHANCED MODE in BIOS solves the problem with stabilty, but still the performance is very bad... I got only 9054 points in 3D mark, while I was expecting to reach around 9500 at least.

TUA266-DDR-2001se.jpg

The second thing is performance. It seems that the memory timings and their read/write results are holding this mobo back. I tried both, DDR and SDR as well and the performance was always bad, with SDR it was even worse. I can’t tighten the memory timings in the BIOS (even though I set the CAS Latency to 2 in the BIOS it still remains 3, tRAS should also be 5 not 6.) to get some better results. It should be 2-2-2-5.
I heard that this motherboard does not support memory interleaving, that is why the memory read/write results are bad.

TUA266-SDR-2001se.jpg

My questions are:
- Does anyone here have experience with this board and encountered the same problems as I did?
- Which software should I use to tighten the memory timings?
- Is there a patch for enabling the memory interleaving (something similar to the one that was made for VIA chipset based boards)?

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 1 of 2, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried with Voodoo 5 5500 AGP - no problems so far in any applications, no matter what settings are used in the BIOS. I maxed everything that was possible in the BIOS and everything was stable. It it seems that the AGP port has problems with graphics cards that require more power consumption.

I also tried some PCI cards - GeForce 5 fx 5200 PCI was unstable in many application (non of the 3D MARKS worked) and Radeon 9200 PCI was unstable in everything...
It seems that this board does not like PCI cards, even Voodoo 2 was unstable....

GeForce 5 FX 5950 ULTRA behaves the same way that Ti 4600 does (you have to disable the PCI Enhancement mode to make it work "correctly")

Still I have not managed to lower the memory timings...

All in all this motherboard sucks, unless you want to use it with some old AGP graphics that does not require much power.... Nevertheless, the performance is always bad.

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 2 of 2, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like ALi chipsets of that era were overall not so good.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.