VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
i suppose that lots people here have some problem as i, too many cables.. and problem with their identification, are using some marking system, which one?

Im searching for something like this:
- cheap and available markers available world wide on eBay
- different size, or some solution of different cables thickness (diametrs)
- possibility to write some note on marker
- something durable, better than some paper stickers.. some paper / plastic combination is fine
- various colors
- nothing too big to block manipulation with cables

So far im using at less these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Newest-100pcs-RJ45-R … a1rNA:rk:1:pf:0
- problem - no notes, problems with too thin or too thich cables, only difference is only color numbers are the same on every item of same color 🙁 I didnt spend too much time on research of this stuff, i just used first thing which seems usable..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 6, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a handheld electronic label printer similar to this:

81SL-vPTP4L._SL1500_.jpg
Filename
81SL-vPTP4L._SL1500_.jpg
File size
123.14 KiB
Views
File comment
Label maker
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It prints on plastic "M-Tape" that you peel off the back to expose some adhesive. M-Tape should be easy to find at any office supply website or store, and depending on the model of label maker you get, is available in many different colors and widths (I just use plain white though since it's as common as dirt).

What I'll do is type what I want the label to say, followed by a bunch of blank space, and then repeat the same text a second time. That way after I print the label off, I can just peel off the back, loop it around the cable and stick it to itself, creating a little tag that has the same text on both sides, like this:

IMG_20181223_123643.jpg
Filename
IMG_20181223_123643.jpg
File size
96.94 KiB
Views
File comment
Label made
File license
IMG_20181223_124300.jpg
Filename
IMG_20181223_124300.jpg
File size
89.08 KiB
Views
File comment
Label on cable
File license

The labels by themselves are fairly durable, but for extra durability, you can also loop some clear packaging/scotch tape around them if you desire.

Probably the only downside to these tags is that if they're exposed to direct sunlight or bright UV light (fluorescent lighting), they can fade after a couple years, requiring the labels to be replaced. Otherwise, in dark or not overly-bright areas, they can last years.

If I'm in a hurry and don't have my label maker with me, I can do the same thing by hand-writing on a small scrap of paper in the same manner (label twice with lots of space in between), and use scotch tape to loop it around the cable in the same manner as the M-Tape labels. Good thing about paper is that you can easily make different colored tags and text using different markers if desired. It's also cheap and quick. I personally prefer using the label maker and M-Tape though because my handwriting is atrocious and sometimes have trouble reading my own handwriting long after the fact. 😜

Reply 2 of 6, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its good idea, how much for printer and tapes?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have used white insulation tape and just written what the cable is, or sometimes a white sticker on a cable where I write what the cable is. If I had a label printer I would use one instead.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 6, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would use sharpies to mark light-colored cables if I had any real need to ID which equipment belonged to a particular cable. No decomposing adhesives becoming a gummy mess over the years.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 5 of 6, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote:

Its good idea, how much for printer and tapes?

Around $25-$50 for the label maker, depending on model and features, plus about $5 per roll of the M-Tape for plain white (I imagine different colors would be about the same). Also need batteries for it, some use AA while others use AAA, typically around $3-$5 per pack of 4 batteries. These are US Dollars, so prices where you are may vary. I've never tried it with mine, but it might also be possible to use rechargeable batteries with it if you have some of the right size.

I've never had trouble with M-Tape labels leaving behind any "sticky residue", but on the other hand I've never had need to remove them. The few times where I've had to replace a label (either due to fading or reassignment of the cable), I simply stuck the new label over top of the old one.

Reply 6 of 6, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
i got 1 this machine - its quite batteries eater - in needs additional 6 AA, its working fine, i had not time / mood too much reading the manual.

Its possible somehow set small waste tape margin for printing? Its quite big.

2019-02-10 19.11.27-BrotcherPrinter.jpg
Filename
2019-02-10 19.11.27-BrotcherPrinter.jpg
File size
274.85 KiB
Views
File license