VOGONS

First post, by Tatsuya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I'm trying to install nfs1se on my 98 computer, but the Windows installer will not launch at all. It keeps giving me a memory address error. The error is "The instruction at 0041d285 referenced a memory at ffffffff"
I've reinstalled the OS about seven times at this point I can't do anything to get around it.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• win98.PNG
    Filename
    win98.PNG
    File size
    178.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 11, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tatsuya wrote:

Hi. I'm trying to install nfs1se on my 98 computer, but the Windows installer will not launch at all. It keeps giving me a memory address error. The error is "The instruction at 0041d285 referenced a memory at ffffffff"
I've reinstalled the OS about seven times at this point I can't do anything to get around it.

Any suggestions?

I had problems installing this too on my 95 machine but I think the error was a bit different. I'd also be interested in how to install this properly.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 3 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, did you try compatibility tab (640x480 res., 256 col. checkboxes) already ?

- Software that old may have problems with such gigantic resolutions and the widescreen aspect-ratio.
I have had a similar issue with Soft Windows on Mac OS once. No graphics were drawn until I lowered resolution.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 11, by Tatsuya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Hi, did you try compatibility tab (640x480 res., 256 col. checkboxes) already ?

- Software that old may have problems with such gigantic resolutions and the widescreen aspect-ratio.
I have had a similar issue with Soft Windows on Mac OS once. No graphics were drawn until I lowered resolution.

I tried messing with the compat settings on KernelEX to no avail. I also tried lowering my resolution to 640x480 and it didn't work either.

Reply 6 of 11, by Tatsuya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ninkeo wrote:

Try installing the DOS version if you can, the windows version doesn't work correctly with directx versions past 5.0 as NFS:SE uses DX2 originally.

I tried to install the DOS version but for some reason I can't get the CD drive detected in MS-DOS mode.

Reply 8 of 11, by Nicknine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bumping an old thread since this bit of information is not found anywhere else.
On Windows 98, this game crashes if you have DX8 or higher installed and have a DX8+ graphics card (i.e. GeForce3 or newer). So the solution is to stay on DX7 which I highly recommend since there are numerous games which break with DX8+ installed. If you're stuck on DX8+ you can get this game to work by disabling DirectDraw acceleration in dxdiag but it breaks menu transitions.

Last edited by Nicknine on 2020-08-19, 22:00. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 9 of 11, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need to disable directdraw acceleration on my voodoo3 with dx7.0a installed too, so thats probably still too new

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 10 of 11, by Nicknine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
God Of Gaming wrote:

I need to disable directdraw acceleration on my voodoo3 with dx7.0a installed too, so thats probably still too new

Curious, for me, it starts crashing if I install DX8 on GeForce4 but not on Riva TNT2. Maybe it works differently on 3dfx cards.

Reply 11 of 11, by Nicknine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been thinking about this game and wondering what could break it upon upgrading DirectX. Digging through DirectX installers shows there's nothing in there that can conceivably break backwards compatibility other than DLL files being replaced with newer versions.
Now, the issue here clearly has to do with graphics and NFS:SE is a DirectDraw game so the logical conclusion is that ddraw.dll is bugged in newer versions of DirectX. This means that it's theoretically possible to fix this game by copying ddraw.dll (and ddraw.vxd if present) from an older DirectX installer (DX7 or lower?) into game exe dir (not possible with CD installer but you can try temporarily putting dll in PATH). The game itself comes with DX2 installer but I'm not sure if DX2 libraries will work on Win98.
I have yet to try any of this, though.