VOGONS

IBM PS/1 Multimedia ( max restore ).

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 66, by Imito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Intel486dx33 thanks for posting all this

I also have a ps/1 2168 , my model also has the same motherboard that you have been posting pictures.
it is the best 486 pc design i ever saw. There is a video on Youtube about someone that did a sleeper pc with this case, i just can´t even do that with a beauty like this.

My machine:
-Sadly the person that sold it to me did not have the bottom base grey stand.
-And my model did not come with sound card, so there is no sound wheel in the front.
-It came with a dx2 50mhz and no cache installed.
-Over the past years i have been able to buy and locate other things for this pc, like the model M2 keyboard, which came in 2 versions, one with rubber and one with springs. And the original mouse.

I tried to make it work with other CPUs many years ago and i had issues, but i can´t remember if those issues were because i did not set the 33mhz jumper for overdrive 83mhz.
I did try it with an overdrive 100mhz and even with an kingston turbochip (which was having problems with the fan making a big noise), and i think i got mixed results because the system used to boot but after some time it froze, i think i had better results with the kingston turbochip than with the overdrive 100mhz. The overdrive 83 is out of my budget and difficult to find hence the price.

from your pictures now i know what kind of cache i need to buy and that the tag chip is just the same as the other cache chips, and the tag chip position is with the letters up, and the cache chips need to be installed with letters inverted.

Now does anyone know what is the correct model of monitor this pc came with? and the correct model of pc speakers this pc came with?
because when i search for ps/1 2168 i get mixed results, sometimes i see pictures with a monitor that had 2 blue wheels on the front, sometimes with a more modern monitor, and there are no pictures of the original speakers for the model that came with audio

Reply 61 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See my other post For more details and box info.

Link:
IBM PS/1 Consultant 1993 with Sound blaster.

Attachments

• IMG_8173.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_8173.jpeg
    File size
    236.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 62 of 66, by Imito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2023-11-12, 09:02:

See my other post For more details and box info.

Link:
IBM PS/1 Consultant 1993 with Sound blaster.

hi, yes i saw that post but its a different model.

what i ment was that I always wanted to see a true picture of a ps/1 2168 " tower model", that includes the original monitor and original sound speakers ( for the model with sound) that had a blue wheel near the cdrom drive bay.

It is strange that searching on google you do not get such picture, i did see like an add from a pc magazine and strangely it had some "soundblaster like" speaker models

Reply 63 of 66, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-08-25, 22:42:
Here is a link to the hardware manual: http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/aptiva/63g2028.pdf […]
Show full quote

Here is a link to the hardware manual:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/aptiva/63g2028.pdf

See My other IBM Ps/1 restore posts:
IBM PS/1 Multimedia ( max restore ).

Cache upgrade info:
I just used standard Cache ( 20ns ) 256kb ( 9 pieces , All the same cache type even for TAG ).

Hey i have a couple questions regarding your mods, and i would like to hear your experience with that overdrive DX40DPR100

I read you posted that you used 9 pieces all same even TAG, but on the pictures you used a different brand chip for TAG socket. Do you know if TAG cache chip is just the same as the rest of the cache chips? or is it an special chip? With that cache i bet the speed got increased a little bit on gaming?

How about gaming under DOS with that integrated cirrus logic card, was it good or bad? must have been better than using a trident card, but the lack of VLB slot gives you limited speed to just upgrading to a 16bit isa video card, of course there is no higher upgrade because the cirrus logic card must be like top of the line.

For me , some things are hard to remember after so many years, during the 90s i was playing DOOM and DOOM 2, on my cyrix 486 dx2 66mhz computer, And to my knowledge the game speed was fine back then, i mean ..for me it was like running how it was supposed to run and i played so many hours and never detected or felt a slow game back then. When i got my first pentium 133mhz i started to notice that the games were like crazy fast, even duke nukem 3d. About 5 years ago , i built a 486 dx2 66mhz machine and one of the first things i tried was to run Doom and damn it felt so slow, and got confused because i never felt it was slow during the 90s.

When you upgraded it to overdrive DX40DPR100, did you notice slow games? like for example playing Doom or Doom 2 ?

Reply 65 of 66, by DigitalBurrit0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
etoromu wrote on 2020-05-31, 01:57:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-05-31, 01:49:
Yes, that is the same type of PS/1 I have but there are about 7 different variants. The motherboards are different. It all depen […]
Show full quote
etoromu wrote on 2020-05-31, 01:44:

This is currently my refurbished IBM ps1 2155 CPU, I thank the user Intel486dx33 for motivating me to restore my precious computer again.

Yes, that is the same type of PS/1 I have but there are about 7 different variants. The motherboards are different.
It all depended on what store you purchased it from and what year. Different stores carried different configurations of this PS/1 computer.
It was very confusing.

Totally agree, starting with the video memory, since your board comes from the factory with 1mb of video unlike mine, which only came with 512kb and was expandable. Finding the expansion was very complicated, but I did it and I already have my pc with 1mb of video.

It was really so emotional to be able to see the screen with 16 bits of colors when all my childhood I only saw it with 256 colors.

I really need to find the ZIP-40 chip you used on your setup and where to find it... I would love to give my CL-5424 an additional 512KB on my IBM PS/1 2133A-19C. Any help from anyone on this old topic from 4 years ago? I would appreciate it.

Reply 66 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DigitalBurrit0 wrote on 2024-03-26, 20:05:
etoromu wrote on 2020-05-31, 01:57:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-05-31, 01:49:

Yes, that is the same type of PS/1 I have but there are about 7 different variants. The motherboards are different.
It all depended on what store you purchased it from and what year. Different stores carried different configurations of this PS/1 computer.
It was very confusing.

Totally agree, starting with the video memory, since your board comes from the factory with 1mb of video unlike mine, which only came with 512kb and was expandable. Finding the expansion was very complicated, but I did it and I already have my pc with 1mb of video.

It was really so emotional to be able to see the screen with 16 bits of colors when all my childhood I only saw it with 256 colors.

I really need to find the ZIP-40 chip you used on your setup and where to find it... I would love to give my CL-5424 an additional 512KB on my IBM PS/1 2133A-19C. Any help from anyone on this old topic from 4 years ago? I would appreciate it.

My PS/1 ( model #2155 ) has 1mb of onboard video RAM
But this user posted about the Zip 40
“I would try a 256K x 16 ZIP-40 chip such as MT4C16256Z or UPD424170V”

Link:
Re: Upgrading video RAM for an on-board GD5428 in an IBM PS/1?