Reply 40 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
etoromu wrote on 2020-05-31, 01:44:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-31, 01:24:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-05-30, 07:28:

Did you set the motherboard jumpers for a 486dx2-33 CPU ?

Can you show me a picture of this mythical 486dx2-33 cpu please?

This is currently my refurbished IBM ps1 2155 CPU, I thank the user Intel486dx33 for motivating me to restore my precious computer again.

Yes, that is the same type of PS/1 I have but there are about 7 different variants. The motherboards are different.
It all depended on what store you purchased it from and what year. Different stores carried different configurations of this PS/1 computer.
It was very confusing.

Reply 41 of 66, by etoromu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-05-31, 01:49:
Yes, that is the same type of PS/1 I have but there are about 7 different variants. The motherboards are different. It all depen […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-31, 01:24:

Can you show me a picture of this mythical 486dx2-33 cpu please?

This is currently my refurbished IBM ps1 2155 CPU, I thank the user Intel486dx33 for motivating me to restore my precious computer again.

Yes, that is the same type of PS/1 I have but there are about 7 different variants. The motherboards are different.
It all depended on what store you purchased it from and what year. Different stores carried different configurations of this PS/1 computer.
It was very confusing.

Totally agree, starting with the video memory, since your board comes from the factory with 1mb of video unlike mine, which only came with 512kb and was expandable. Finding the expansion was very complicated, but I did it and I already have my pc with 1mb of video.

It was really so emotional to be able to see the screen with 16 bits of colors when all my childhood I only saw it with 256 colors.

Attachments

Reply 42 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See this posts:
IBM PS/1 Consultant 1993 with Sound blaster.

You need to switch the motherboard jumpers when you add cache.
I could not find the document image but it is online somewhere.
It might be in the manual too.

Reply 43 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here it is CPU and Cache jumper settings and video ram info and how to disable onboard video so you can add your own video card.
Also the Multimedia version of these PS/1 computers came with a Sound Blaster CT1770 or CT1740

Attachments

Reply 44 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried an IBM 486dx2-66 “Blue Lighting” CPU in this computer and it worked.
The Bios showed it as a “Cyrix” CPU.

Attachments

Reply 45 of 66, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
etoromu wrote on 2020-05-31, 01:57:
Yes, that is the same type of PS/1 I have but there are about 7 different variants. The motherboards are different. It all depen […]
Show full quote

It was very confusing.

Totally agree, starting with the video memory, since your board comes from the factory with 1mb of video unlike mine, which only came with 512kb and was expandable. Finding the expansion was very complicated, but I did it and I already have my pc with 1mb of video.

It was really so emotional to be able to see the screen with 16 bits of colors when all my childhood I only saw it with 256 colors.

Hi, I admire the work you have done, I love old IBM home computers. At the moment I'm working on restoring a PS1 2133-540 (my first ms-dos computer, it's a recent purchase since my old pc is lost adnato) and I was looking for a video memory upgrade: could you tell me how / where did you find it? Thank you so much for the time you want to dedicate to me

Reply 46 of 66, by Lyawon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
etoromu wrote on 2020-05-30, 22:22:
etoromu wrote on 2020-05-30, 22:18:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-05-30, 07:28:
Did you set the motherboard jumpers for a 486dx2-33 CPU ? Did you change the cache jumpers for the amount of cache you are using […]
Show full quote

Did you set the motherboard jumpers for a 486dx2-33 CPU ?
Did you change the cache jumpers for the amount of cache you are using ?
You also need to enable/disable cache in bios settings.
See manual for your motherboard type and jumper settings
http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/aptiva/63g2028.pdf

Thank you very much for the help, I have followed the manuals and I have even supported myself with the configuration of jumpers on your board. however the problem persists. I have taken pictures with the cache installed and others where I only removed the tag memory and setting the cache to 0, the processor and the bus work perfectly. I really don't know what else I could do.

The images without tag memory

I think the problem is in BIOS. The CMOS setup in your machine reported 8k internal (L1) cache while test software reported 16k of L1 cache (and this is true for DX4 processors).
The BIOS dated 12/16/93 but DX4 processors (with 16k L1) released since middle 1994.
I've got same issue on my PS/1 machine type 2168 model 452 when I've installed DX4ODP75 CPU with 16k L1. So I've go back to DX2 CPU with 8k L1.

Does anyone have ROM BIOS dump dated 1994 or later for this PS/1?

Last edited by Lyawon on 2021-03-13, 22:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 47 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone have the owners manual for this PS/1 with “rapid resume”
I am trying to figure out exactly how it works.
And the bios settings ?

When I enable this option the computer will only go into standby mode and not turn off.
It always stays on. It just goes in a loop from “ON to Standby”.

If I disable this option in bios. I can turn the computer on and off using the power button.

Attachments

Reply 48 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is a link to the hardware manual:

See My other IBM Ps/1 restore posts:
IBM PS/1 Multimedia ( max restore ).

Cache upgrade info:
I just used standard Cache ( 20ns ) 256kb ( 9 pieces , All the same cache type even for TAG ).

CPU upgrade info:
Check the hardware manual for your motherboard type because there were many IBM PS/1 versions produced and
It all depended on where you purchased the PS/1 they all had a different version of motherboard.
This was a marketing scheme by IBM.

But there is a jumper on the motherboard to switch the BUS speed from 25mhz or 33mhz.
For a 486-25 or a 486-50 you need to use a 25mhz bus speed.
For all other 486 CPU’s including Overdrive CPU’s you need to switch the BUS speed to 33mhz.

Attachments

Reply 49 of 66, by AtomicPlayboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote

It was very confusing.

@etoromu: I've just poked around under the hood of my IBM PS/1 Expert 2168-33T and have found what appears to be a 40-pin video memory expansion slot like they one you used to upgrade your machine. I'd like to upgrade to 2MB video ram. Can you provide a link to the chips you used for your upgrade? None of this stuff appears to be documented in the IBM manuals. Thanks.

Reply 50 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AtomicPlayboy wrote on 2022-01-17, 16:47:

It was very confusing.

@etoromu: I've just poked around under the hood of my IBM PS/1 Expert 2168-33T and have found what appears to be a 40-pin video memory expansion slot like they one you used to upgrade your machine. I'd like to upgrade to 2MB video ram. Can you provide a link to the chips you used for your upgrade? None of this stuff appears to be documented in the IBM manuals. Thanks.

I could not find much info on this “video feature component”. That what IBM called it is a “video feature”.
Manual link:

I think the best thing to do is add a video card.

IBM liked to use ET4000 in 486 PS/1 computers
And Cirrus Logic 5428 and 5430 video chips.
Or maybe S3 video card ?

I don’t know if it’s worth it to upgrade to 2mb.
1mb is fine for most DOS games

I would put my MONEY on a CPU upgrade instead.
If you have a 486dx2-50 then leave it alone. Good enough for most DOS games.
But if you really want to upgrade then get an Intel Pentium 83mhz Overdrive CPU.
Otherwise you are waisting your time and money.

Attachments

Reply 51 of 66, by AtomicPlayboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-01-17, 22:45:
I could not find much info on this “video feature component”. That what IBM called it is a “video feature”. Manual link: http:// […]
Show full quote

I could not find much info on this “video feature component”. That what IBM called it is a “video feature”.
Manual link:

Or maybe S3 video card ?

But if you really want to upgrade then get an Intel Pentium 83mhz Overdrive CPU.

Thanks for replying, but this isn't what I was asking for help with.
The video feature you mention is an optional video capture card, unrelated to what I'm looking to do.
Re your suggestion that I do something completely different from what I asked about: I'm not wasting my time or money on what I'm trying to do, as it will directly improve the resolution/color for Win and OS/2, as I mentioned, nothing to do with DOS gaming.
And I have no interest in upgrading any of the rest of the machine, which I chose for its 486 vintage. I'm simply looking to improve the display quality, if that's possible via this VRAM upgrade.

Anyone else have any useful suggestions for the actual issue I'm trying to resolve?

Reply 52 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AtomicPlayboy wrote on 2022-01-17, 22:57:
Thanks for replying, but this isn't what I was asking for help with. The video feature you mention is an optional video capture […]
Show full quote
I could not find much info on this “video feature component”. That what IBM called it is a “video feature”. Manual link: http:// […]
Show full quote

Manual link:

Or maybe S3 video card ?

The video feature you mention is an optional video capture card, unrelated to what I'm looking to do.
Re your suggestion that I do something completely different from what I asked about: I'm not wasting my time or money on what I'm trying to do, as it will directly improve the resolution/color for Win and OS/2, as I mentioned, nothing to do with DOS gaming.
And I have no interest in upgrading any of the rest of the machine, which I chose for its 486 vintage. I'm simply looking to improve the display quality, if that's possible via this VRAM upgrade.

Anyone else have any useful suggestions for the actual issue I'm trying to resolve?

What video chip and how much video ram is your PS/1 currently using and what type of monitor are you using ?
Then I can give you my advice on video upgrade.
I have (3) PS/1 computers that I have upgraded and benchmarked.
I can give you on honest suggestion from my experience and research.
And I have built and worked on countless 386, 486, and Pentium computers.

Reply 53 of 66, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thanks for replying, but this isn't what I was asking for help with. The video feature you mention is an optional video capture […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Manual link:

Or maybe S3 video card ?

Re: Upgrading video RAM for an on-board GD5428 in an IBM PS/1?

Reply 54 of 66, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Plasma wrote on 2022-01-17, 23:57:
Show full quote
Show full quote

Manual link:

Or maybe S3 video card ?

Re: Upgrading video RAM for an on-board GD5428 in an IBM PS/1?

Is it the same “video feature connector” for the IBM type-2168 tower and the type-2155 desktop ?

Reply 55 of 66, by totio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a PS1 2133-571 with a kingston turbochip.
My bios dated 09/01/93 can handle HDD only under 528MB so I installed EZ-Drive to support a 2GB CF.

Intel486dx33 wrote on 2019-08-09, 19:42:
Okay, I have installed the Intel 486dx4-100 Overdrive CPU and IBM 730mb hard-drive. And all is working fine. I am still waiting […]
Show full quote

Okay, I have installed the Intel 486dx4-100 Overdrive CPU and IBM 730mb hard-drive.
And all is working fine.
I am still waiting for the RAM to arrive.
I could NOT get the cache to work because I do not know the jumper settings to this motherboard.
Does anyone know the jumper settings to this motherboard ?

Update:
I just received the 64mb of ram and it works fine just like the IBM hardware label reads

Attachments

Reply 56 of 66, by totio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tested my PS1 2133-571 with several CPU, original IBM DX-33, Intel DX2-66, AMD Am486 DX4-100SV8B (5V tolerant but very instable with a heatsink), Kingston TurboChip tc5x86/133 and finally a Pentium Overdrive PODP5V63 that doesn't boot (CPU not working or just FSB problem ?).
I hope to find a cheap PODP5V83 in future! 😁
Here some old benchmarks pictures.

Attachments

Reply 57 of 66, by totio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

->

Attachments

Reply 58 of 66, by totio

User metadata
Rank Newbie