HWiNFO support of vintage hardware

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: HWiNFO support of vintage hardware

Postby vutt » 2019-9-29 @ 16:29

WOW! That was fast!

Yes startup problem is fixed. HW info in my case is showing up correctly.

However it looks like it gets confused by my "SINTECHI HighSpeed SD to IDE" adapter. I'm running entire system off the SD card without physical HDD.
In benchmark section my Disk bench option is disabled. Rest of the benchmark runs well. It shows me results window. I was even able to use Save Report feature, but when I press "close" button I'm getting blue screen. Only Ctrl-Alt-Del helps.
I tried to turn on logging, but it appears that Benchmark feature does not log anything. Or because disc buffers were not saved on disk before with soft reset.
Sensors section works fine as well.

I have abused my win98 a lot over past 4-5 months. A lot of software and hardware installs and removals. So some blue screens might be natural. I'm planning at some point to do fresh install. So I will revisit this issue then again.
vutt

Postby Mumak » 2019-9-29 @ 17:22

vutt wrote:WOW! That was fast!

Yes startup problem is fixed. HW info in my case is showing up correctly.

However it looks like it gets confused by my "SINTECHI HighSpeed SD to IDE" adapter. I'm running entire system off the SD card without physical HDD.
In benchmark section my Disk bench option is disabled. Rest of the benchmark runs well. It shows me results window. I was even able to use Save Report feature, but when I press "close" button I'm getting blue screen. Only Ctrl-Alt-Del helps.
I tried to turn on logging, but it appears that Benchmark feature does not log anything. Or because disc buffers were not saved on disk before with soft reset.
Sensors section works fine as well.

I have abused my win98 a lot over past 4-5 months. A lot of software and hardware installs and removals. So some blue screens might be natural. I'm planning at some point to do fresh install. So I will revisit this issue then again.

Thanks for the feedback. Well, that BSOD is really weird as the entire benchmark and closing that window is not doing anything at such low level, so there's no reason to cause a system crash.
We'll see if it happens after your reinstall.
Mumak

Postby Vynix » 2019-10-17 @ 17:25

Let's see how my weird HP laptop will fare, it's not really that ancient per se, but that's about what I can do right now, as the P133 rig is undergoing repairs (need to get one of the mobo's VRMs "replaced"):
Attachments
Omnibook2KVynix.png
Summuary
HVynix.zip
HWInfo Report: Debug file included
(399.71 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]
Vynix

Postby Mumak » 2019-10-17 @ 17:38

Vynix wrote:Let's see how my weird HP laptop will fare, it's not really that ancient per se, but that's about what I can do right now, as the P133 rig is undergoing repairs (need to get one of the mobo's VRMs "replaced"):

Looks quite well to me, need to adjust some minor things only.
Thanks for the feedback!
Mumak

Postby aka286dos » 2019-11-23 @ 08:59

Windows 98SE running on one of these thin clients: https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5710/ w/ PCI Yamaha DS-XG 724F-V. I'm also using a sintechi SD card adapter for a hard drive.
Attachments
HWiNFO32.DBG.zip
(11.4 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
ss.png
aka286dos

Postby Mumak » 2019-11-23 @ 13:34

Wow, thank you for this unique report!
I will adjust a few things to improve reporting.
Mumak

Postby xefe » 2019-12-06 @ 18:06

I can't get cpu temps using a 2.0 GHz Northwood on a MSI 645E-Max U (SIS 645DX) on Windows 98. Using latest hwinfo32.
xefe

Postby Mumak » 2019-12-06 @ 18:17

xefe wrote:I can't get cpu temps using a 2.0 GHz Northwood on a MSI 645E-Max U (SIS 645DX) on Windows 98. Using latest hwinfo32.

I don't think the Northwood supports internal CPU temperature sensor (DTS). There might be however a CPU sensor in the socket reported via the mainboard SIO/sensor.
Mumak

Previous

Return to General Old Hardware