VOGONS

First post, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been doing some bench marking on my socket 3 motherboards and I am consistently getting low memory bandwidth from speedsys. I am using mostly the same components when testing these boards.

Example, the MS-4144, I was using a 100MHZ OD Intel and decided to try the POD83 and it made no difference. I've been trying different settings in the bios, mostly 0WS and 1 CLK sometimes 2 if the board hangs at boot.
I've been using a 16MB stick of FPM. I tried a few different sticks and see no real difference. I got roughly the same results on an ASUS and a Lucky Star LS486E and Soyo 4SAW2

I did notice on some boards where the cache is disabled I'll get over 100 MB/s on the bandwidth. I have also tried different brands of 15NS and 20NS cache sticks always testing with 256K.

I have MS-DOS 6.22 loaded on a 8GB hard drive.

Attachments

• DSC04363.JPG
    Filename
    DSC04363.JPG
    File size
    1.58 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSC04362.JPG
    Filename
    DSC04362.JPG
    File size
    1.44 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 16, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depending on motherboard chipsets, you may have to install matched pairs of memory sticks as they may require interleaving. I noticed you mentioned just using a single memory stick?

Reply 2 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah.. use two sticks and turn interleaving on. That should help quite a bit.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 16, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using a paired set of ram sticks made no change on the bandwidth results. I tried disabling the cache and did another speedsys and the bandwidth went up to 110 MB/s.

Reply 5 of 16, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have also seen the situation where memory benchmarks are higher when cache is disabled. Some chipsets suffer extra latency when there is a cache miss. But sometimes this only happens when the L2 is set to Write-Back, but not on Write-Through.

100MB/s is pretty high for socket 3.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 6 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What happens when you enable "DRAM Slow Refresh"? Contrary to how it sounds, it should actually increase the throughput and lower the latency. The more time between the forced refreshes, the less wait their will be between reads and writes. It just depends on if your RAM will handle the longer time between forced refreshes.

What about "CPU Burst Write"?

What about trying "Write Through" on the CPU Internal Cache and /or the L2 Cache Policy?

I don't actually see anything about interleaving on that BIOS screen.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 16, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to chip in, i have a Soyo SY-25P2 with AMD486@100MHz, 2x32MB 60ns RAM.

When the cache is set to Write-Back, i get memory throughput under 40MB/s. When cache is set to Write-Through, i get ~100MB/s.
If anything, Write-Back should be faster, but...

On some random dos benchmarks, the speed was mostly not affected. Some tests were maybe 5% faster, some 5% slower between those 2 settings. So i'm also kinda confused and will keep an eye on this topic. 😀

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 8 of 16, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update on the testing. Setting the CPU to WT had no effect. CPU burst mode on the mobo would hang every time even with different settings in the bios so that stays off.

Setting the cache on the mobo to WT......
Bandwidth now at - 110.06!
L1 - 161.51
L2 - 44.48
Throughput - 37.64

I put the CPU back in WB, that had no effect on the speed. Setting the Dram to slow refresh had a small increase.
Bandwith 112.08
L1 - 45.32
L2 - 38.20

I tried both a pair of sticks and one stick that had no change on the speed. Also before the FPS in 3Dbench went from 64.1 to 71.2 now with the cache on the mobo to WT.

I thought WB was supposed to be faster? would that be effect be chipset specific? One thing to think about, these 4 motherboards that I was testing are all SIS, I wonder if that is why?

Reply 10 of 16, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did try changing the 8 to 7 bits that made no difference.

I just tried my 486-PIO3 that has poor bandwidth as well. 27.41 but there is no WT - WB options in the bios. I turned the cache off and it went up to 82.37 bandwidth.

I found this thread here having the same poor bandwidth. FIC 486-PIO3 mobo - why's it so slow?

Is there a way to have the bios modded to add WT - WB options?

3D Bench has 71.72 FPS with the cache on and 56.60 with the cache off.

FIC 486-PIO3 mobo

I just found this thread ^ when searching from the same OP, he has his MS-4144 set to WB and he is getting about the same performance as I just got with it in WT. But I don't understand why his board is getting full bandwidth in WB and I am not.

Reply 11 of 16, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ It's quite conceivable that the BIOS writers mislabelled the WT/ WB options and these are actually swapped. If you can't find these BIOS options, try looking for a jumper on the board that is equivalent.

Reply 12 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What happens if the board physically doesn't have the L2 cache chips installed? Does it act the same way as if it is disabled in the BIOS?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 16, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now what I'm really questioning is the usefulness of this "memory bandwidth" which basically only seems right in the opening post and wrong by a long shot every other time (including my own benchmark results from many systems), or completely made up in the case of 486s.

An example could be ?my? (I'm still hesitating whether I should keep it or not) PCChips M919. Let's see the numbers from the .txt file it saved:

┌──────────────┬──────────────┬──────────────┬──────────────┐
│ Read │ Write │ Move │ Average │
┌───────────────┼──────────────┼──────────────┼──────────────┼──────────────┤
│ Cache Level 1 │ 151.69 MB/s│ 75.38 MB/s│ 195.95 MB/s│ 141.00 MB/s│
│ Cache Level 2 │ 68.17 MB/s│ 75.20 MB/s│ 34.07 MB/s│ 59.15 MB/s│
│ Memory │ 43.33 MB/s│ 75.43 MB/s│ 16.56 MB/s│ 45.11 MB/s│
└───────────────┴──────────────┴──────────────┴──────────────┴──────────────┘

It looks like this on screen:

s8cqYxZ.png

So the fastest way for the CPU to access the memory is sustained write, at 75.43 MB/s. Read is slower and if you try to combine them in the hope of squeezing out a bit more of the memory subsystem (like it apparently works for L1 cache) you get a way slower 16.56MB/s result. Where on Earth that 120.53MB/s figure comes then? Apparently there's no way for the CPU reach this bandwidth to/from memory. Is this a measurement at all?

(And slightly off topic, the reason I'm hesitant to keep this board is an x-file. I have a Shuttle HOT-433 with the same chipset, the same memory benchmarks and the same quirk (have to POST at 33MHz then switch to 40MHz if I don't want the hideous 20MHz PCI clock seriously impair the performance). It even works with the Shuttle BIOS. But the VGA speed and many even loosely related (like 3dbench or game) benchmarks are all slower (except for speedsys which shows a very healthy video speed). So should I just use it with a copied Shuttle BIOS? Well, no, because it's just as slow with the swapped BIOS. HOT-433 landmark VGA: 25MB/s. M919 landmark VGA: 17MB/s. HOT-433 3dbench: ~98fps. M919 3dbench: ~93. Same VGA, same BIOS, same settings. The hell is happening here? 😲 )

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 14 of 16, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

alvaro84, I was wondering if it matters from what you said, I did more testing and found that it does. This can be seen in cachechk to confirm and doom.

Another Asus mobo, using all the same peripherals with the L2 cache on WB in the bios

Memory bandwidth 37.55 MB/s
L1 - 155.53 MB/s
L2 - 38.00 MB/s
Memory Throughput - 30.97 MB/s
Memory speed in cachechk 16.8 MB/s
Doom FPS 38.0

L2 Cache set to WT in the bios

Memory bandwidth 112.16 MB/s
L1 - 162.54 MB/s
L2 - 45.01 MB/s
Memory Throughput 38.00 MB/s
Memory speed in cachechk 36.6 MB/s
Doom FPS 40.6

From what I am experiencing L2 cache on certain mobos being set to WT is faster then WB. I'm not sure what else could be tested to see the impact on performance.

Reply 15 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the performance between WB and WT is also going to depend on the program being run.

See this thread for a bit more explanation of WB vs WT:
Identify 486 L1 WT or WB Cache?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 16, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It can be a missing „dirty tag“. Without dirty tag the cache in WB can be slower than in WT.

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE