VOGONS

First post, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been having fun building a Socket 7 system since I found one in a dumpster. I bought a Biostar MB-8500TTD (at a reasonable price, too rare on Ebay these days) as an upgrade for the FX chipset board it had in it. Today I received the K6-2+ 550 I ordered, and was eagerly looking forward to installing it and testing it, but I hit a roadblock; two of the jumpers I need to close for the correct voltage and FSB are just dots on the motherboard. I think the easiest solution would be conductive paint, but in all of my years of fooling with computers, I've never used any before. Any recommendations?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We used to use the auto rear window defroster repair kits that you can get at any auto parts store.

Easy to undo as well.. just not sure if you need something to actually handle any amount of power going through it or not.

If it were me, I would just add the jumpers and be done with it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Jumpers for correct voltage not implemented... are you sure that's all that's missing? If the voltage regulator they connect to is also absent it won't help to connect the dots, regardless of how you do it 😮

Reply 4 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Jumpers for correct voltage not implemented... are you sure that's all that's missing? If the voltage regulator they connect to is also absent it won't help to connect the dots, regardless of how you do it 😮

For the core voltage, the last jumper is missing out of the block of four, but the position is clearly there. Without being able to close that one, the lowest core voltage is 2.8 - fine for an Intel 233 MMX, not so good for a K6-2+.

Reply 6 of 11, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote:
dionb wrote:

For the core voltage, the last jumper is missing out of the block of four, but the position is clearly there. Without being able to close that one, the lowest core voltage is 2.8 - fine for an Intel 233 MMX, not so good for a K6-2+.

Simply having solder spots and traces does not mean you have the correct voltage regulator. Personally I'd look up the datasheet and test voltages before inserting a K6-Plus CPU.

Reply 7 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

We used to use the auto rear window defroster repair kits that you can get at any auto parts store.

Easy to undo as well.. just not sure if you need something to actually handle any amount of power going through it or not.

If it were me, I would just add the jumpers and be done with it.

I hadn't replaced my soldering iron after the fire, but this is a good excuse, so I just ordered one. And I just picked up a donor motherboard from the overflow heap at my nearby E waste facility.

Reply 9 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As in "it boots" or "I tested voltage with multimeter and it corresponds to setting"?

P55C CPUs will generally run at 3.3V, but they get excessively hot, which is not conducive to a long healthy life.