VOGONS

USB2 PCI CARD

Topic actions

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello. I already have a PCI Card installed in my system. It provides two USB2 Ports and two PS/2 Ports and runs well. I don't need the PS/2 ports. So I searched for a new card that has USB ports at the back and an internal header. I found one manufactured by Lindy. It arrived yesterday and seems to be incompatible with my system. Although it looks like a universal PCI card and usb sticks gets power, the card itself is not recognized or installed. Maybe it works with the Mainboard but isn't compatible with Windows 98. I searched for other cards that are pci2.2 and compatible with Windows 98. They seem to be very rare. Any suggestions?

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 3 of 18, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lazar81 wrote:

Hello. I already have a PCI Card installed in my system. It provides two USB2 Ports and two PS/2 Ports and runs well. I don't need the PS/2 ports. So I searched for a new card that has USB ports at the back and an internal header. I found one manufactured by Lindy. It arrived yesterday and seems to be incompatible with my system. Although it looks like a universal PCI card and usb sticks gets power, the card itself is not recognized or installed. Maybe it works with the Mainboard but isn't compatible with Windows 98. I searched for other cards that are pci2.2 and compatible with Windows 98. They seem to be very rare. Any suggestions?

Which USB controller does it have?

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 5 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both the USB controller and the board's chipset are PCI 2.2 specified.
I would rather guess this is due to VIAs shoddy PCI implementation or a defective USB controller card. 😒

What exact chip does that NEC card have? Are those real PS/2 ports or are they using USB on those ports for HIDs that support USB as well as PS/2?

Reply 6 of 18, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The built-in is NEC D720102 + Chesen CSC0101
About PS/2 I can't tell. I never cared because I don't need them

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 9 of 18, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VIA VT6212L is Win98 compatible -- drivers are available for these cards (google "VIA USB 2.0 Host Controller Driver"). I have two of them removed from some PCs I bought and both were working under Win98 in these machines.

Edit: http://download.viatech.com/DownloadDriverSvl?driver_id=2105

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 10 of 18, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lazar81 wrote:

Maybe it works with the Mainboard but isn't compatible with Windows 98. I searched for other cards that are pci2.2 and compatible with Windows 98. They seem to be very rare. Any suggestions?

There is a Digitus usb controller on offer by Conrad but it does not mention if it has Windows 9x support (which may well be your problem).
https://www.conrad.nl/p/digitus-5-poorten-usb … -20-pci-1909727
You can find photo here:
https://www.digitus.info/en/products/computer … rds/ds-33221-1/
I use a 5-port Q-Teq controller here that works fine on a socket 7 mobo with Windows ME (have not tried Win 98).

Q-tec.jpg
Filename
Q-tec.jpg
File size
320.74 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 18, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Folks... I got it.
I just erased the drivers for the nec controller. Then I put out the card and build in the Lindy card. It works. 😀

Reply 15 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lazar81 wrote:

This one has also just an internal port. No header ... But thanks. The new card is functioning now

Goot thing your card is working now 😀 but I must insist there's a header for a single USB port on the card I posted.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
190.87 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 17 of 18, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is quite simple to replace the header on a cable that plugs into a motherboard with a standard USB plug. I had to customize a standard cable to make it fit with a non-standard SHS frontpanel socket. And you know what ? It's more fun this way 😀. But nice that you got it working.

cable.JPG
Filename
cable.JPG
File size
442.88 KiB
Views
File license