VOGONS

USB2 PCI CARD

Topic actions

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello. I already have a PCI Card installed in my system. It provides two USB2 Ports and two PS/2 Ports and runs well. I don't need the PS/2 ports. So I searched for a new card that has USB ports at the back and an internal header. I found one manufactured by Lindy. It arrived yesterday and seems to be incompatible with my system. Although it looks like a universal PCI card and usb sticks gets power, the card itself is not recognized or installed. Maybe it works with the Mainboard but isn't compatible with Windows 98. I searched for other cards that are pci2.2 and compatible with Windows 98. They seem to be very rare. Any suggestions?

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you post the system specs?
Also can you post pictures of that USB + PS/2 card? 😀 I've never seen something like this.

Reply 3 of 18, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lazar81 wrote:

Hello. I already have a PCI Card installed in my system. It provides two USB2 Ports and two PS/2 Ports and runs well. I don't need the PS/2 ports. So I searched for a new card that has USB ports at the back and an internal header. I found one manufactured by Lindy. It arrived yesterday and seems to be incompatible with my system. Although it looks like a universal PCI card and usb sticks gets power, the card itself is not recognized or installed. Maybe it works with the Mainboard but isn't compatible with Windows 98. I searched for other cards that are pci2.2 and compatible with Windows 98. They seem to be very rare. Any suggestions?

Which USB controller does it have?

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 4 of 18, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The new one has a VIA VT6212L. The one which is build in momentarily has an NEC chip.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 5 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both the USB controller and the board's chipset are PCI 2.2 specified.
I would rather guess this is due to VIAs shoddy PCI implementation or a defective USB controller card. 😒

What exact chip does that NEC card have? Are those real PS/2 ports or are they using USB on those ports for HIDs that support USB as well as PS/2?

Reply 6 of 18, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The built-in is NEC D720102 + Chesen CSC0101
About PS/2 I can't tell. I never cared because I don't need them

Reply 7 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lazar81 wrote:

Chesen CSC0101

That's really a PS/2 USB cata converter controller. Nice card! 😀

Reply 8 of 18, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Under certain circumstances it is

Reply 9 of 18, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VIA VT6212L is Win98 compatible -- drivers are available for these cards (google "VIA USB 2.0 Host Controller Driver"). I have two of them removed from some PCs I bought and both were working under Win98 in these machines.

Edit: http://download.viatech.com/DownloadDriverSvl?driver_id=2105

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 10 of 18, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lazar81 wrote:

Maybe it works with the Mainboard but isn't compatible with Windows 98. I searched for other cards that are pci2.2 and compatible with Windows 98. They seem to be very rare. Any suggestions?

There is a Digitus usb controller on offer by Conrad but it does not mention if it has Windows 9x support (which may well be your problem).
https://www.conrad.nl/p/digitus-5-poorten-usb … -20-pci-1909727
You can find photo here:
https://www.digitus.info/en/products/computer … rds/ds-33221-1/
I use a 5-port Q-Teq controller here that works fine on a socket 7 mobo with Windows ME (have not tried Win 98).

Q-tec.jpg

Reply 11 of 18, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. Nice card. But i am searching for one with a usb2 internal header. No internal usb port

Reply 12 of 18, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Folks... I got it.
I just erased the drivers for the nec controller. Then I put out the card and build in the Lindy card. It works. 😀

Reply 14 of 18, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This one has also just an internal port. No header ... But thanks. The new card is functioning now

Reply 15 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lazar81 wrote:

This one has also just an internal port. No header ... But thanks. The new card is functioning now

Goot thing your card is working now 😀 but I must insist there's a header for a single USB port on the card I posted.

s-l1600.jpg

Reply 16 of 18, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mea culpa... I oversaw this tiny one...

Reply 17 of 18, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is quite simple to replace the header on a cable that plugs into a motherboard with a standard USB plug. I had to customize a standard cable to make it fit with a non-standard SHS frontpanel socket. And you know what ? It's more fun this way 😀. But nice that you got it working.

cable.JPG

Reply 18 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lazar81 wrote:

Mea culpa... I oversaw this tiny one...

It's all good. I just didn't want to be the guy that keeps suggesting the wrong kind of card. 😉