VOGONS

Reply 80 of 95, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My prized 486 laptop: a Toshiba Satellite Pro T2150CDT.

16MB RAM
DX4-75 CPU
TFT Active display
ES688 + YMF-262M
410CDT external floppy drive (the original broke)
2x CD-ROM drive integrated
527MB HDD (clicks every 5-10 seconds, will install an SSD method via CF-IDE)
Running MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 with all of the drivers, utilities, and a couple of games

IMG_20210803_022829103_HDR.jpg
Filename
File size
615.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Unfortunately, I cannot get the PCMCIA to work on this thing and I might have the incorrect drivers set for it.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to FX-8350
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 81 of 95, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-08-07, 00:06:
My prized 486 laptop: a Toshiba Satellite Pro T2150CDT. […]
Show full quote

16MB RAM
DX4-75 CPU
TFT Active display
ES688 + YMF-262M
Running MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 with all of the drivers, utilities, and a couple of games

Unfortunately, I cannot get the PCMCIA to work on this thing and I might have the incorrect drivers set for it.

Yep - as a former owner of the T2135/50/55 series, I can totally attest that they are good, solid machines for the 486 era.

Reply 82 of 95, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-08-07, 00:06:
My prized 486 laptop: a Toshiba Satellite Pro T2150CDT. […]
Show full quote

16MB RAM
DX4-75 CPU
TFT Active display
ES688 + YMF-262M

I think Toshiba laptops came with Phoenix CardManager software. Did you try it?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 83 of 95, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found the PCMCIA drivers from the T1950CT archive and got it installed.

Reply 84 of 95, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to pick up a Thinkpad 755CD with floppy drive and original manual at a good price ($60). Upon boot up it displays a floppy disk icon and indicates the F1 key to be pressed - nothing happens of course as the hard drive has been pulled! It’s also missing its original AC power adapter.

Apart from a new HDD and power adapter, is there anything else apart from a leaky CMOS battery I should look out for with this unit? Cosmetics look pretty decent for its age but the battery of course doesn’t hold a charge.

Can one still find new / third party power adapters and batteries for the 755CD?

This will be the oldest lap-computer in my entire collection if I can get it working.

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Test bench: Asus P3B-F | 1.3Ghz Tualeron w/ Powerleap | Geforce 2 Ti500 | SB Live! 5.1 CT4760

Reply 85 of 95, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-08-08, 09:17:
I managed to pick up a Thinkpad 755CD with floppy drive and original manual at a good price ($60). Upon boot up it displays a fl […]
Show full quote

I managed to pick up a Thinkpad 755CD with floppy drive and original manual at a good price ($60). Upon boot up it displays a floppy disk icon and indicates the F1 key to be pressed - nothing happens of course as the hard drive has been pulled! It’s also missing its original AC power adapter.

Apart from a new HDD and power adapter, is there anything else apart from a leaky CMOS battery I should look out for with this unit? Cosmetics look pretty decent for its age but the battery of course doesn’t hold a charge.

Can one still find new / third party power adapters and batteries for the 755CD?

This will be the oldest lap-computer in my entire collection if I can get it working.

I used one as my main machine in the mid 2000's. I had an iGo generic power supply for it at the time I bought at Radio Shack for like, $80. There might be some decent Chinese replacements or used OEM units. You kind of have to hunt for them though because ThinkPad stuff tends to go for a bit these days, usually.

If you want a battery I'd look for that Lithium Ion version, they made these with NiMH and Lithium Ion (I put a new Lithium Ion battery in mine when I got it, 2 hours time). - Just for a cross reference for part numbers - http://www.elec-shopping.com/laptop-batteries … nkPad%20755.htm - $62 at that site, might find better on e-bay or elsewhere.

As for what I use now...currently I'm trying to tweak and tune my NEC Versa M/75 into something that did not exist - the NEC Versa M/75HCP - a High Resolution Color (800x600) with Touch/Pen. And I just ordered a Panasonic Sound/SCSI card for it to give me at least OPL sound for the DOS Games that use it. It'll be really cool to use this thing for pixel art with a pen, as well as play old DOS games on the go since the battery works, and I've also brought one of the 30 year old NEC ones back to life (and the runtime keeps getting longer the more I use it). I might also put new cells in the other two I have if they don't keep growing in runtime as well (complete drain then re-charge). A touch-screen convertible laptop with WiFi, OPL, WSS, and SB Support w/ a SCSI feature, and a dock - were basically looking at the Microsoft Surface of 1994 here. I use Cisco Aironet WiFi cards tethered to my phone for internet when on the go, and it uses so little of my data plan I can use it like that a lot in a month.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/

Reply 86 of 95, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From what I understand from the Thinkpad forums, the Li-on battery can only be used with the Pentium 75 version of the 755CD - without some tweaking that is beyond me.

I can’t remember the model but my dad had something from the 1994-1996 Thinkpad line when I was a teenager growing up in Hong Kong and it was one of the defining moments of my computing obsession.

I’m hoping to find a nearby Thinkpad maestro who might be willing to have a tinker and restore the unit for me. It’s a bit out of my comfort zone but I’d love to have a working copy.

Your project sounds like a fun one, I lean towards replicating the original experience as closely as possible and in your NEC case - why not if you have access to the parts!

Test bench: Asus P3B-F | 1.3Ghz Tualeron w/ Powerleap | Geforce 2 Ti500 | SB Live! 5.1 CT4760

Reply 87 of 95, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-08-09, 11:17:
From what I understand from the Thinkpad forums, the Li-on battery can only be used with the Pentium 75 version of the 755CD - w […]
Show full quote

From what I understand from the Thinkpad forums, the Li-on battery can only be used with the Pentium 75 version of the 755CD - without some tweaking that is beyond me.

I can’t remember the model but my dad had something from the 1994-1996 Thinkpad line when I was a teenager growing up in Hong Kong and it was one of the defining moments of my computing obsession.

I’m hoping to find a nearby Thinkpad maestro who might be willing to have a tinker and restore the unit for me. It’s a bit out of my comfort zone but I’d love to have a working copy.

Your project sounds like a fun one, I lean towards replicating the original experience as closely as possible and in your NEC case - why not if you have access to the parts!

Hmmm…take a look at the Thinkpad release history on:
https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_History
And see if any of the models seem familiar. The hardware maintenance/service manuals for most are still out there and easily obtainable.

Chances are - if you can read Chinese (simplified or Traditional) there are gurus north of the border with a thing for those oldies posting off sites like 51nb.com, and it’s just a question of whether you trust them or not. The issue here is that for those ~25 year old ThinkPads even the NOS spare parts are probably long gone and dead. That being said, you can often find old laptops for cheap from Japan, often machines that are very well taken care of- you just have to use a service like Buyee to deal with something like Yahoo auctions.

Reply 88 of 95, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to update this thread, the Thinkpad 755CD I thought I had bought turned out to be a 755CX with Pentium 75. Apart from the lack of CD-ROM, I’m pretty happy with it. Love the chunky design, form factor, keyboard hinge and once I get my CF card reader PCMCIA I should be able to do much more with it. If that fails, I have my eye on a copy of the original external IBM CD-ROM.

I have a Compaq LTE 5200 with a cracked display lid (transit bash) which has a somehow fubared the display - a spare 10.4” LCD sits awaiting surgery.

I was hoping the 755 would be a DX to differentiate between the LTE 5200 but it turned out they’re both Pentium - albeit the LTE has the faster 120mhz Pentium.

One of them has to go but I’m not sure which one - perhaps the one I can find a dock for?

Reply 89 of 95, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-10-01, 10:44:

I have a Compaq LTE 5200 with a cracked display lid (transit bash) which has a somehow fubared the display - a spare 10.4” LCD sits awaiting surgery.

This Compaq series is not very good for Dos gaming, cause cheap graphics adapter Cirrus Logic does not allow scaling to full screen. You will get games in small window with large black border around.

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 90 of 95, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-10-01, 10:44:
Just to update this thread, the Thinkpad 755CD I thought I had bought turned out to be a 755CX with Pentium 75. Apart from the l […]
Show full quote

Just to update this thread, the Thinkpad 755CD I thought I had bought turned out to be a 755CX with Pentium 75. Apart from the lack of CD-ROM, I’m pretty happy with it. Love the chunky design, form factor, keyboard hinge and once I get my CF card reader PCMCIA I should be able to do much more with it. If that fails, I have my eye on a copy of the original external IBM CD-ROM.

I was hoping the 755 would be a DX to differentiate between the LTE 5200 but it turned out they’re both Pentium - albeit the LTE has the faster 120mhz Pentium.

One of them has to go but I’m not sure which one - perhaps the one I can find a dock for?

755CX is a nice laptop as well. From my experience CD-ROM is not a very useful device, unless you already have a big games collection on CDs. Othervwise, if you use CDs occasionally, you can mount an ISO from PCMCIA-CF in DOS or Windows. CFs up to 2 Gig should work fine on it. And you can even boot form it (sometimes requires some black magic to partition the CF).
The only thing that people usually complain about is the MWAVE sound card, FM emulation, in particular. In case of 755CD (which I have BTW 😁 ) it's compensated by built in MIDI port. I don't remenber, does CX have one?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 91 of 95, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I was thinking of making do with it. It’s in good working and cosmetic shape and the main & bios batteries even hold charges so I can’t really ask for more given its age.

Reply 92 of 95, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recently acquired a Toshiba Satellite Pro 400CDT. It'll get repairs and cleaning done before I start to use it. Could use a CD-ROM drive, external floppy enclosure, and a hard drive (got a drive to test).

Reply 93 of 95, by Darktabris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an alienware m11x r1

Cpu: intel core 2 duo SU7300 oc 1.7ghz
Ram:8gb ddr3
Gpu: nvidia geforce gts350m 1gb vram
Ssd 128gb
Windows 7 (or 10)

Nice to play some games from 2011 or earlier
Nice Screen of 11 inches and backlight keyboard with rgb

A really Nice laptop

Attachments

TECH AND GAMES WORLD

Reply 94 of 95, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Darktabris wrote on 2021-11-03, 18:37:

I have an alienware m11x r1

Nice, I had my eye on one of these for a while but ended up going for an M17x R2 - something about a big, chonky bastard of an Alienware - and dual GPU to boot - gets me going at times 😉

Specs are:

CPU: i7-820
RAM: 12GB
GPU: Dual ATI Mobility 5870 1GB Crossfire
SSD: 500GB Seagate Momentus XT

This thing weighs over 12lb without its power adapter though so it's not exactly portable!

Reply 95 of 95, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I might have two:

Gericom 1st Supersonic M6-T 1200MHz

Intel Pentium III SL5GN 1200MHz Tualatin desktop chip
60GB WD Scorpio I recycled from some defunct Acer
ATi Mobility Radeon M6P 32MB AGP - basically a sort of a Radeon 7000 (R100) but mobile.
512MB PC133 SDR - factory, 98SE didn't even complain about it tho - no WPE errors or any weird juju.
Panasonic DVD/CDRW that I can't upgrade due to the faceplate being different in mounting than most units I have.
Running 98SE w/ KernelEX 4.52.

IPC/MiTAC 7521T

Intel Pentium III SL5QW 1100MHz Coppermine desktop chip
SiS 630E iGP GPU (set to 16MB share)
384MB PC100 SDRAM
20GB Fujitsu HDD (original, haven't replaced it yet)
originally had a Teac CDRW drive that I replaced with a LG T40L IDE DVDRW I had handy
Dual boots 2000 SP4 and ME 4.90.3000 currently.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB