VOGONS

First post, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

So my retro PC right now is looking for some upgrade on GPU, but my motherboard only supports agp x4 and my current card is Radeon 9600 pro. Does anyone have any recommendations for a new AGP GPU that doesn't require external power? I'm not sure if my 300w power supply even likes a powerful card

My system so far:
Pentium III 1GHz coppermine
256MB RAM
Asus cuv-4x mobo
Radeon 9600 pro on agp x4
And some 300w psu
Windows 2000 / 98

Reply 1 of 8, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just recomend a good brand PSU. The moderns ones like Corsair 400w will cover well.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 2 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll post my recommendation from this thread. Works for PIII systems too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 8, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I heard using modern PSU to retro pc is pain in the arse, what do I need to convert my psu cables beside the 4 pin molex? also will my soundblaster live value works with it without all of these -5v stuff?

Reply 4 of 8, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PSU is probably fine unless you have several harddisks in there or something. The real question is what you are running on a P3 for which a Radeon 9600 isn't good enough.

But if you can find a GeForce 7600 AGP that would be much faster in theory (totally limited by the CPU most likely) and doesn't even need any more amperage.

Reply 5 of 8, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pote2639 wrote:

I heard using modern PSU to retro pc is pain in the arse,

Not really -- unless your motherboard uses AT and not ATX.

pote2639 wrote:

what do I need to convert my psu cables beside the 4 pin molex?

You might run into the 24-pin power supply with 20-pin motherboard problem, which isn't usually much of a problem as described here:
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001384.htm

pote2639 wrote:

also will my soundblaster live value works with it without all of these -5v stuff?

I think lack of -5v is only a concern with certain ISA cards.
I haven't heard of it affecting PCI cards.

Reply 6 of 8, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bakemono wrote:

PSU is probably fine unless you have several harddisks in there or something. The real question is what you are running on a P3 for which a Radeon 9600 isn't good enough.

But if you can find a GeForce 7600 AGP that would be much faster in theory (totally limited by the CPU most likely) and doesn't even need any more amperage.

Alright thanks! maybe I'll look into that, I only have 1 hdd 1 dvd drive and 1 floppy emulator so I guess I'm fine :d I'm usually playing mid 90s DOS games to mid 2000s games. that's why I'm trying to dual boot Windows 2000 and 98SE. XP is so slow on P3 though so I skipped it.

skitters wrote:
Not really -- unless your motherboard uses AT and not ATX. […]
Show full quote
pote2639 wrote:

I heard using modern PSU to retro pc is pain in the arse,

Not really -- unless your motherboard uses AT and not ATX.

pote2639 wrote:

what do I need to convert my psu cables beside the 4 pin molex?

You might run into the 24-pin power supply with 20-pin motherboard problem, which isn't usually much of a problem as described here:
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001384.htm

pote2639 wrote:

also will my soundblaster live value works with it without all of these -5v stuff?

I think lack of -5v is only a concern with certain ISA cards.
I haven't heard of it affecting PCI cards.

I'll also looking into psu too but my psu looks fine-ish enough to play something like Splinter Cell Chao Theory and SimCity 4 for several hours, but still it is aging.

Reply 7 of 8, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You probably need to upgrade cpu before gpu, 9600 pro should already be at the point of cpu bottleneck with that P3. Also a good quality 300w psu should be able to run any AGP card just fine, not like they made any 200+ watt monsters like GTX 480 for the AGP slot...

If you will be dualbooting win9x and win2k, and want more performance for the latter, go with athlon XP or athlon 64, maybe pentium 4, if you don't care about period correctness even core 2 duo with one core disabled can work great for this task

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 8 of 8, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
God Of Gaming wrote:

You probably need to upgrade cpu before gpu, 9600 pro should already be at the point of cpu bottleneck with that P3. Also a good quality 300w psu should be able to run any AGP card just fine, not like they made any 200+ watt monsters like GTX 480 for the AGP slot...

If you will be dualbooting win9x and win2k, and want more performance for the latter, go with athlon XP or athlon 64, maybe pentium 4, if you don't care about period correctness even core 2 duo with one core disabled can work great for this task

Hmm, do you think it's still able to run anything before 2006? I don't play something huge like farcry 1 or crysis 1 on my retro PC since both of them are running fine on my modern PC already. however I know SimCity 4 does need a lot more power to run big cities but I don't know if it worth it. Chaos Theory is running fine on my system though