VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Commodore 1541 when it runs over a copy protected sector. I still make that noise in my head when I'm waiting for something that is taking far longer than it should. (Or occasionally with my mouth, depending on who I'm around and how tired/obnoxious I'm feeling.)

What, this post was about hard drives? Well, you ever drop one of those things on your foot? I have, and can confirm they're hard AF. Next question.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 21 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
beastlike wrote:

That would drive me crazy, especially from an IDE drive. Is this sound really sought after in retro systems?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 28, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Seagate ST43400N full-height SCSI drive that makes the best assortment of sounds I've ever heard from a hard drive. Similar gurgles and such as the ST225/251's make at startup, with some deep, soft, solid thunks during seeks at times. I think it might be the voice coil actuator that does it, but I'm not sure. Whatever it is, it's music to the ears 😀

Reply 23 of 28, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My favorite hard disks when it comes to noise are the ST-225, ST251, and the ST-157A. Voice coil drives can make nice noises, but the stepper motors have always been pleasing to me.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 24 of 28, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any Quantum hard drives greater than 1GB does make soft ticking sound when accessed. Same with Maxtor.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 26 of 28, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had that exact Connor drive in the 1st post and even when I upgraded 2 years later to a WD 1GB drive still preferred the sound of the Connor. It was a pleasant sound over other drives tick sound

Reply 27 of 28, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
beastlike wrote on 2019-12-26, 00:35:

I am glad mine does not grind non stop except only during heavy read/write sessions. I don't mind old hard disk sounds in an old PC but if I had to listen to a grating HDD in a modern system with SSD I'd unplug asap 🤣.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 28 of 28, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

im another in favor of the st-225. You have to hear it at least once, if you've never had the opportunity.

*press power button*

"640(k) Ram installed"

chucka-chucka-chucka-chucka-chuck-chuck
beep-beep!

*bios beep*

"Starting MS-DOS..."

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.