VOGONS

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Over the past year I've been working on trying to get one PC set up that can play almost every DOS game under the sun with proper sound and music, MT-32 or Sound Canvas music too if available.

After many hours cursing and trial & error, I found the system which seems ideal to me - and because they're quite cheaply available on eBay (I bought it off ebay for $70) I thought I'd share it here in case others can learn from it:

The main system is a HP Vectra VE 5/75 Series 2:

mIVPipx.jpg

Now, and this is very important, DO NOT GET THE SERIES 1 VERSION! for reasons I'll get into later. They look very similar and in fact I own a Series 1 - it's why I bought a series 2.

Here's the specs:

- Pentium 75/100/133 depending on the model (HP Vectra VE 5/133 = Pentium 133)
- PhoenixBIOS
- 64 bit integrated Cirrus Logic 5436 1MB (very fast in benchmarks) - you can upgrade to 2MB but good luck finding the chips
- 8-128MB 32 bit EDO RAM (mine had 32, I removed 16 since it's overkill to improve compatibility) - 6 sockets in total
- allows for either 2x 3.5" drives and 1x 5.25" at the front, or 1x 3.5" and 2x 5.25" so very flexible - I use the second 3.5" for a Gotek drive
- 1 parallel port, 2 serial ports, standard mouse & keyboard connectors (the "modern" type)
- 3x 16 bit ISA slots, 2x 32 bit PCI slots
- two PATA ports so 2 hard drives and 2 optical drives possible - the BIOS detects my 16GB Compact Flash cards fine

The sound card may vary - there was an Aztech in mine which I removed.

Now, these are solid specs for a machine of that age (1995). Now, the Series 1 which I had before, had some major weaknesses: HP BIOS (very limited), only one PATA port, no PCI slots, only one 3.5" and one 5.25" bay at the front and ... only would detect drives up to 2GB.

Here's what I added to the PC:

- I removed the original fan from the power supply with a very quiet one - the pins the PSU uses are compatible with modern fans
- I added a 3COM Etherlink III card for network transfer
- I added a Sound Blaster CT2230 - best sound blaster if you ask me
- 2x CF-to-IDE with a 2GB and a 4GB card installed (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32973215339.html <-- this model, you'll need a splitter for 2 extra floppy drive power connectors if you do it like me
- a better CD/DVD drive but that's open for personal preference
- a GoTek to properly install DOS on the CF cards (I tried doing it from a 6.22 boot disk I had but it wouldn't allow me to boot off the CF oddly enough)

I mounted the two CF-to-IDE brackets at the back for easy access to the CF cards but frankly, with 6GB of cards you won't need to do a lot of swapping unless you really want every DOS game under the sun worth playing preinstalled.
The first CF = 2GB and is a single C partition. The second CF is 2 partitions of each 2GB (D & E).
These are on the same IDE cable (the model above has a jumped for master & slave)

Now, you may wonder "but don't certain games demand D to be the CD drive" and yeah, some do. I timed it and it takes 20 seconds to reboot PC, go into BIOS, set second drive to "none"and boot DOS back up. This pushes the CD drive to drive D. Setting the second drive "online" again takes the same amount of time. I use C mainly for CD games and games that need the C drive.

The Sound Blaster 2230 is hooked up to both a Sound Canvas and a MT-32 using Serdashop's excellent DB15MIDI device (https://www.serdashop.com/DB15MIDI) allowing your gameport to "export" two MIDI signals at the same time. CT2230 is by far my favorite pick of sound card because:
- low noise
- OPL3 CT1747
- WT header (I won't need it but for a future Dreamblaster perhaps it's nice to have)
- no Vibra issues
- no serious MPU problems - slow down in a few games but that's easy to fix and all Sound Blaster cards have this problem

I first had the Yamaha Audician 32 Plus installed - REALLY not a good choice for compatibility. Over 30 tested games would not detect it including some well known ones like Cannon Fodder.

Now, here's the results of testing so far:

- 1 game won't work - black screen with coloured lines - and that's Crystal Caves. I can't for the life of me fix it - I found others who had the problem but no fix
- 2 games have small issues - Pinball Dreams 2 has corrupted flipper graphics- it's still playable though. Innocent Until Caught refuses to run with sound but I found dozens upon dozens of topics on this forum so this game is just a bitch to get working with sound it seems
- 168 (!!) games working perfectly

Combined with SoftMPU and SETMUL, I can play every game I throw at it at the correct speed with sound. Once I figured it all out this PC really surprised me. I'll continue to test games (and CD games) but so far, having just one game not working out of 170 is amazing.

For those who are interested in a rig that is very solid and highly compatible ... well here it is. And HP PCs are built like tanks + are incredibly easy to work with.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 1 of 15, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just curious... have you tested the hardest games to make work at correct speed like ultima 7, wing commander, defender, battlezone.. etc?
it isn't hard to make most games work, but for some games it is difficult to make all those games to work well in a single system.

Reply 2 of 15, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red_avatar wrote on 2020-03-15, 09:44:

I first had the Yamaha Audician 32 Plus installed - REALLY not a good choice for compatibility. Over 30 tested games would not detect it including some well known ones like Cannon Fodder.

Weird. I never had a game not work with my Audician. Do those 30 games have anything in common?

I've also switched my Audician for SB (a SB16 Vibra), but only because it has a PC speaker header and the Audician does not. And I did that exactly for one game: Wizardry 6, which didn't have proper support for Adlib/SB.

Regarding Baoran's question, you will be out of luck for Ultima 7 because it dynamically re-enables L1 when you disable it on a regular Pentium. However, with an MMX, you can use Setmul's Test Registers CCD+DCD to get ~24fps in Ultima 7. See: Measuring Performance in Ultima VII : The Black Gate

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 15, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2020-03-15, 17:21:

Regarding Baoran's question, you will be out of luck for Ultima 7 because it dynamically re-enables L1 when you disable it on a regular Pentium. However, with an MMX, you can use Setmul's Test Registers CCD+DCD to get ~24fps in Ultima 7. See: Measuring Performance in Ultima VII : The Black Gate

There's a fix for the cache issue.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 15, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like a solid machine and I agree, the CT2230 rocks (as does the 2290).

My only concern is that it would struggle with a lot of SVGA DOS games, and there’s some good stuff in that era!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 15, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote on 2020-03-15, 17:02:

Just curious... have you tested the hardest games to make work at correct speed like ultima 7, wing commander, defender, battlezone.. etc?
it isn't hard to make most games work, but for some games it is difficult to make all those games to work well in a single system.

All Ultima games work fine.
Wing Commander I just tested: works great, correct speed. CTMouse driver is jerky though, had to default to my original driver.
Defender works but is too fast - a 1983 game so no surprise. Even with slow down it's still unplayable.
Battle Zone works but is a bit too fast.

When it comes to speed, you're never going to get those really old ones to work - I have little interest in pre-1985 games anyway because they were pretty janky. Anything I tried from 1985-1995 so far seems to work though.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 6 of 15, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Weird. I never had a game not work with my Audician. Do those 30 games have anything in common?

I've also switched my Audician for SB (a SB16 Vibra), but only because it has a PC speaker header and the Audician does not. And I did that exactly for one game: Wizardry 6, which didn't have proper support for Adlib/SB.

Ultima 7 runs on the fast side but a P75 doesn't make it run crazy fast - it's just about playable. You're correct about the cache - I didn't know about the patch though, I'll try that later. EDIT: tried it, worked great!

On the Audician: no, those games had little in common. Here's a list:

- X-Com 1 & 2 - no sound at all
- Pizza Tycoon - no sound
- Cannon Fodder 1 & 2 - no sound
- Cruise for a Corpse - locked up
- Another World - locked up
- BloodNET - refused to boot unless I disabled sound
- Elvira 1-2 - refused to boot unless I disabled sound
- Heart of China - "interrupt already in use by another card"
- Pinball Illusions - no sound or music
- Syndicate - hard lock up if I enabled sound
- Superhero League of Hoboken - no sound or music

These are the "bigger" names. Then there's games like Duke Nukem 3D that didn't have stereo sound unless I lowered sound quality and even then, channels a reversed.

I replaced it with the SB16 CT2230 and all the games above suddenly worked fine. For the Audician I used Phil's drivers posted on his site (OPL3SAX).

Last edited by red_avatar on 2020-03-15, 21:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 7 of 15, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2020-03-15, 20:18:

Looks like a solid machine and I agree, the CT2230 rocks (as does the 2290).

My only concern is that it would struggle with a lot of SVGA DOS games, and there’s some good stuff in that era!

If you have any games to test, feel free to name some. I'll gladly test those and see how well it performs.

I'm not aiming for later than 1995 because I have a 1996 Pentium 233 MMX for games from 1996-1998.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 8 of 15, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red_avatar wrote on 2020-03-15, 21:04:

I'm not aiming for later than 1995 because I have a 1996 Pentium 233 MMX for games from 1996-1998.

I took "almost every DOS game under the sun" to include all of that good stuff like Duke3D / WC3 / System Shock / etc but all good if you have other machines 👍

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9 of 15, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suspect WC3 will be playable, the other two run fine. Technically I could have used mu P233 MMX as a dos gaming machine as well but the P75 is the right speed for a lot of games that would need slowdown otherwise. A P75 is just a nice middle ground

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 10 of 15, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red_avatar wrote on 2020-03-15, 21:02:
On the Audician: no, those games had little in common. Here's a list: […]
Show full quote

These are the "bigger" names. Then there's games like Duke Nukem 3D that didn't have stereo sound unless I lowered sound quality and even then, channels a reversed.

On my PC I have some of Apogee's games (Bio Menace and Keen 4-6, which all use the same engine) not detecting the Audician 32 about 50% of the time (the other 50% they work fine), but your lists seems so long that I suspect that maybe your card is faulty or not configured correctly (hard lockups and messages about interrupt being used suggest that it's more than a simple compatibility problem).

But, yes, those SBPro clones are sometimes not perfectly compatible. On my very first PC I had an ESS688 and I recall I had the same problem with Apogee's games and also Jill of the Jungle. Never hard such issues with any Creative SB16/AWE-type card.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 15, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2020-03-16, 09:35:
On the Audician: no, those games had little in common. Here's a list: […]
Show full quote

On my PC I have some of Apogee's games (Bio Menace and Keen 4-6, which all use the same engine) not detecting the Audician 32 about 50% of the time (the other 50% they work fine), but your lists seems so long that I suspect that maybe your card is faulty or not configured correctly (hard lockups and messages about interrupt being used suggest that it's more than a simple compatibility problem).

But, yes, those SBPro clones are sometimes not perfectly compatible. On my very first PC I had an ESS688 and I recall I had the same problem with Apogee's games and also Jill of the Jungle. Never hard such issues with any Creative SB16/AWE-type card.

It's odd because even when I removed the drivers from boot-up, the problems still occurred. I had to physically remove the card. I think the problem lies with the card having two sound cards in one and even if I disabled the Windows sound part, games would still grab onto it so something there was off.

And yeah, I noticed that Apogee games - also Wolfenstein 3D - would sometimes run without sound as well. All in all, it didn't feel right to me. There was also almost no software for it and the mixer was buggy as hell (I often got IO error when nothing changed). I doubt the card itself was faulty since it was pretty consistent in how it worked but perhaps the combination of BIOS and card caused specific issues with detection.

The CT2230 works painlessly though - I have the original drivers installed as well as Windows 95 drivers that also work for DOS & Windows 3.1 (had to install the original drivers first so I got all the extra software for DOS) - I just use the Win95 drivers now since they don't use up conventional memory and they work perfectly.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 12 of 15, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Off topic but I've seen this in a few threads now and it's eating at me - Can anyone explain this behavior? The game was released in 1992, which means it pre-dates Pentium hardware which sorta explains why it has issues but what is the game really trying to do?

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 13 of 15, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ultima 7 runs on the fast side but a P75 doesn't make it run crazy fast - it's just about playable. You're correct about the cac […]
Show full quote

Ultima 7 runs on the fast side but a P75 doesn't make it run crazy fast - it's just about playable. You're correct about the cache - I didn't know about the patch though, I'll try that later. EDIT: tried it, worked great!

I replaced it with the SB16 CT2230 and all the games above suddenly worked fine. For the Audician I used Phil's drivers posted on his site (OPL3SAX).

Can you post the other games that didn't work on the Audician. I am building a new P1 machine and still undecided between using an Audician or an ES1869. Was going to use the Audician because I have found a few older DOS games not working with the ES1869. You are right about creative, SB16 plays everything.

Reply 14 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AvalonH wrote on 2020-03-18, 16:24:

Can you post the other games that didn't work on the Audician. I am building a new P1 machine and still undecided between using an Audician or an ES1869. Was going to use the Audician because I have found a few older DOS games not working with the ES1869. You are right about creative, SB16 plays everything.

For reference, can you list some of them?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 15, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-03-18, 20:43:
AvalonH wrote on 2020-03-18, 16:24:

For reference, can you list some of them?

I am testing old games first over the past year, hundreds of boxed originals from 1989-1990 and so far from memory (i have missed some other games that also don't work).
Rastan
Puzznic
Bubble Bobble
Qix
Rambo 3

None of these have sound when selecting Adlib and using the ES1869. BTW these games work with the Audician and SB16.
With any of the above games, if you run them and select Adlib they also then disable the ESFM part of the card. No other game that was previously working will produce music in Adlib, you need to reset PC for the ESFM /OPL2/OPL3 to work.
The digital part of the card continues to work though. If you have an ES1868/69 try them.