VOGONS

First post, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to get DOS to see my 3COM Fast Etherlink XL 10/100Mb TX (3C905-TX) card, but no matter what driver I try to install I keep getting messages saying that it can't find any Bus Master cards in my system. Windows 98 seems to find the card just fine and it works there. Has anyone gotten this card to work in DOS? I suppose I could just go into Win 98 for my networking needs as all I really want to do is use Telnet to connect to BBSs and play DOOR games, but I'd like to get it working in DOS just out of principle.

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 1 of 9, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your NIC is probably have IRQ or PORT conflict in DOS. Pause and inspect POST messages about IRQ assignments to various devices. Next either plug in another slot and see how it changes and/or disable onboard devices to free resources. Next load 3Com DOS config utility and change eprom settings for the card to something not conflicting with others.

Reply 2 of 9, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm getting closer. Someone sent me what I believe is the correct driver for my card. I got the driver to see my card and install software for it.

Now I need to figure out how to set up MTCP. I can't figure out how to set up the packet driver. I need an address but I'm not sure what it is. My card has the following stats:

Device Number: 6
Bus Number: 0
I/O Port Address: 5000h to 503Fh

And the Packet Driver program says it the I/O Base is 20480 (0x5000) and the interrupt is 5 (0x5).

The config file wants a PacketInt variable, but I'm not sure what that would be. I would assume 0x5. So in my config file I have:

PACKETINT 0x5
HOSTNAME ATARIPC

that *should* work, but when I run DHCP it says:

Init: could not setup packet driver
Could not initialize TCP/IP stack

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 3 of 9, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tempest wrote on 2020-03-29, 15:04:
I'm getting closer. Someone sent me what I believe is the correct driver for my card. I got the driver to see my card and inst […]
Show full quote

I'm getting closer. Someone sent me what I believe is the correct driver for my card. I got the driver to see my card and install software for it.

Now I need to figure out how to set up MTCP. I can't figure out how to set up the packet driver. I need an address but I'm not sure what it is. My card has the following stats:

And the Packet Driver program says it the I/O Base is 20480 (0x5000) and the interrupt is 5 (0x5).

The config file wants a PacketInt variable, but I'm not sure what that would be. I would assume 0x5. So in my config file I have:

PACKETINT 0x5
HOSTNAME ATARIPC

Hi, maybe this will give some clue? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgATAo9WVHs

Reply 4 of 9, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tempest wrote on 2020-03-29, 15:04:
I'm getting closer. Someone sent me what I believe is the correct driver for my card. I got the driver to see my card and inst […]
Show full quote

PACKETINT 0x5
HOSTNAME ATARIPC

I responded over at VCF but will dupe it here in case you get here first ...

PACKETINT is supposed to be the software interrupt you loaded the packet driver at, not the hardware interrupt the card is using. The PDF docs go over this. If you correct that parameter to the software interrupt you told the packet driver to use then things might start working for you.

Also check out http://www.brutman.com/Dos_Networking/dos_networking.html if you want the background on how all of this works.

Reply 6 of 9, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also cannot get MTCP to work with a 3Com 3C905-TX card and the 3C90XPD Packet Driver. It has failed on both my Pentium MMX and K6-III+ systems. I am using a static IP and there is no IRQ conflicts on either system. Running PING or SNTP usually freezes. I have to use the reset button to restart the computer. I have tired it both MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 98 SE running only from the DOS prompt. It does work fine on another K6-III+ system running Windows 98 SE from the DOS prompt. That computer is using an Intel PRO/1000 GT card.

Reply 8 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tempest wrote on 2020-03-29, 20:30:

Ok I think I have that part working, but running DHCP now freezes the system.

I'm sorry to not have any better news: I did intensive research into this very problem, and the result is that the packet driver provided by 3com is a steaming pile of cr*p. The most obvious consequence are random lockups during the first transferred packets. You might get lucky with a different release of the packet driver, that would work for you by chance, but I don't know of a quality packet driver for that card yet.

Reply 9 of 9, by neoman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I do is:

1. Running "3c90xcfg.exe RUN" - this will run the tests and somehow initializes the card so MTCP tools won't crash anymore 😳
2. Run 3c90xpd.com /r /t - this seems to disable early transfer features which helped me to get it stable
3. Then run your tool of choice (ircjr, ping etc.)