Rank

Looking for SOYO SY-5TH manual.

My CPU collection - Looking for hardware in Ukraine - Ukraine vintage PC forum

Reply 2 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hope the attatched file is the manual.
You can look for old manuals, BIOS and drivers yourself using web.archive.org and selecting a website image from the time range your product was supported.
Have fun! 😀

Edit:
It would appear there's a Soyo 5TH(0/2/5) that I had the manual for. I haven't found a booard called "SY-5TH".
I also found a BIOS image using archive.org which I will also attach. Had to create an archive because the forum won't let me upload a .bin file. Check wether the manual bescribes your board before attempting to flash (at your own risk of course. 😉 )

Attachments

• Filename
    5th1021.zip
    File size
    106.66 KiB
    Downloads
    78 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    5TH10.PDF
    File size
    186.6 KiB
    Downloads
    114 downloads
    File license

Reply 3 of 15, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Soyo boards of that era go by at least three different names, for instance the 20N can be 020N, 020N2, SY-020N2 etc. SY is simply added for SoYo. I have 2 more manuals with TH5 in the name:
https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Soyo/m … /586/index.html
And 4 different bioses with th5 in the name:
https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Soyo/b … /586/index.html

If I can find time I'll extract the bios strings from them.

Reply 4 of 15, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

5TH1021.BIN : 10/21/1998-i430HX-2A59FS2DC-00
128K TH-1021
5TH0827.BIN : 08/27/97-i430HX-2A59FS2DC-00
128K TH-0827
5TH-B.BIN : 09/17/96-i430HX-2A59FS2DC-00
128K TH-B
5TH-C.BIN : 04/29/97-i430HX-2A59FS2DC-00
128K TH-C
so the 1021 seems to be the only one that is 2yk compliant. I have patched it for larger disk support (up to 128GB per disk) if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• Filename
    5th1021-patched.zip
    File size
    106.78 KiB
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File license

Reply 5 of 15, by BreakPoint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doornkaat , thank you!!!!! This is what i'm looking for.
Here are the photos:

Attachments

• IMG_0169.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0169.JPG
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0168.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0168.JPG
    File size
    1.97 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My CPU collection - Looking for hardware in Ukraine - Ukraine vintage PC forum

Reply 6 of 15, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Breakpoint can you please make a backup of your bios as we don't have that version yet. Feel free to use either Doornkaat original 1021 or the 128GB disk patched bios afterwards.

Reply 7 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
evasive wrote on 2020-05-17, 10:08:

so the 1021 seems to be the only one that is 2yk compliant. I have patched it for larger disk support (up to 128GB per disk) if anyone is interested.

That's mighty nice of you!
I always thought about looking into modding BIOS for LBA support as well. Is it rather straightforward or am I going to end up with a bunch of bookmarks and a half finished project again? 😁

Reply 8 of 15, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are two options: one is you do a request on the forums at wimsbios.com for a patched bios or two you go to rom.by and get the patcher there that also patches more multipliers and support for other CPUs in your bios. The patcher used at wimsbios is _almost_ foolproof, success rate on the rom.by patcher is near 95% and improving.

Reply 9 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
evasive wrote on 2020-05-17, 18:05:

There are two options: one is you do a request on the forums at wimsbios.com for a patched bios or two you go to rom.by and get the patcher there that also patches more multipliers and support for other CPUs in your bios. The patcher used at wimsbios is _almost_ foolproof, success rate on the rom.by patcher is near 95% and improving.

Thanks, I never knew there was a tool ready to use.👌

Reply 10 of 15, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the slight necroposting, but I just got one of these motherboards (looks really cool)!
I'm trying to collect all these socket 7 Soyos with all the different chipsets, so far I have the 5TE (FX), 5TF (HX), 5VA (VX), 5VC (VX), 5BT (TX) and now the 5TH (HX, dual).

While checking the manual (which is very very similar to the others) I noticed that it only mentions it supports Pentium and Pentium MMX processors. Now I understand that the only socket 7 processors that support SMP on the HX chipset are Intel's, so If I want to run 2 processors that would be my only choice (which matches what the manual says). But what if I want to run only 1 processor? Can I use a 6x86 or a K5 or 6?
I have checked the bios with a hex editor for traces of 6x86 or k5 strings and found nothing, but I did the same on the bios of the 5TF (same chipset, only 1 socket) and I can't find anything either, though I know it supports it (as per the manual and actual experience).

Should I just go and try one of these cpus and see if they work? Will I fry anything? Is there a safer way to find out?

Board.webp

Reply 13 of 15, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-05-17, 09:00:

It would appear there's a Soyo 5TH(0/2/5) that I had the manual for. I haven't found a booard called "SY-5TH".

No board was sold as "5TH": That board was sold as 5TH0 if no L2 was installed (soldered on this board) at the factory, it was sold as 5TH2 if 256K of L2 cache has been installed at the factory and as 5TH5 if 512K of L2 cache was installed at the factory. That's a convention Soyo used on most of their 486/586 mainboards. So the 5TH(0/2/5) manual is the correct manual for all of the three editions of the board. As the board of the OP has two UM61L3264F chips installed, the board of the OP is a 5TH5.

Reply 14 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkarcher wrote on 2021-05-29, 20:46:
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-05-17, 09:00:

No board was sold as "5TH": That board was sold as 5TH0 if no L2 was installed (soldered on this board) at the factory, it was sold as 5TH2 if 256K of L2 cache has been installed at the factory and as 5TH5 if 512K of L2 cache was installed at the factory. That's a convention Soyo used on most of their 486/586 mainboards. So the 5TH(0/2/5) manual is the correct manual for all of the three editions of the board. As the board of the OP has two UM61L3264F chips installed, the board of the OP is a 5TH5.

The documentation/files I found did not include the newer Soyo naming scheme with the SY- prefix despite the silkscreen on the board identifying the it as SY-5TH (as we found out later when the OP posted pictures). Later Soyo boards included that prefix in all documentation so I was clarifying what board the files in my post belonged to in case Baoran was right that the OP mistyped another model. I didn't want OP to end up with a bricked board due to a bad flash with files I provided.
It wasn't about the cache suffix.

Reply 15 of 15, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone been able to overclock this board?

evasive wrote on 2020-05-17, 18:05:

There is also jan, (chkcpu) 😀
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

Re: Diy modding support for k6+And 120gb hard drives into bios roms

Am386DX-40 wrote on 2021-05-28, 20:03:
Sorry for the slight necroposting, but I just got one of these motherboards (looks really cool)! I'm trying to collect all thes […]
Show full quote

Sorry for the slight necroposting, but I just got one of these motherboards (looks really cool)!
I'm trying to collect all these socket 7 Soyos with all the different chipsets, so far I have the 5TE (FX), 5TF (HX), 5VA (VX), 5VC (VX), 5BT (TX) and now the 5TH (HX, dual).

While checking the manual (which is very very similar to the others) I noticed that it only mentions it supports Pentium and Pentium MMX processors. Now I understand that the only socket 7 processors that support SMP on the HX chipset are Intel's, so If I want to run 2 processors that would be my only choice (which matches what the manual says). But what if I want to run only 1 processor? Can I use a 6x86 or a K5 or 6?
I have checked the bios with a hex editor for traces of 6x86 or k5 strings and found nothing, but I did the same on the bios of the 5TF (same chipset, only 1 socket) and I can't find anything either, though I know it supports it (as per the manual and actual experience).

Should I just go and try one of these cpus and see if they work? Will I fry anything? Is there a safer way to find out?

Board.webp

it should work, buy may require bios patching for newer models.

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-05-29, 00:31:

I know the K6,2,2+,3,3+ don't support SMP not sure about the 6X86

none of the brands or models of cpus that I have tried have worked in dual except pentium with the exception of tillamook. Those don’t work. Odly, they do work with two but only as one, but other brands just don’t post.

So recap, only pentium before tillamook.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)