VOGONS

First post, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys

I have a 1995 IBM 360CE laptop. It works well, except for the battery which does not hold charge at all. Anyway, I want to replace the original HDD (340MB, currently working with no issues) with a 500MB CF card. I already got the adapter and the CF card, tested them in another PC, they work well. The problem is, that the laptop will not boot when I replace the HDD with the adapter+CF card combo. Checking with more detail, I see the HDD is a regular one inside some type of "caddy" which connects not only the usual 44 pins of the HDD but also the additional 4 jumpers on the far right (see pic). from my googling (https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/ … -ATA2-FAST.html), these pins are used to determine the master/slave/cable select settings of the drive, however since the CF adapter does not have these pins, I guess that's why the laptop fails to boot with it. I am attaching some pics of the PC, the original HDD inside the caddy and the way the adapter connects to the caddy (missing the above-mentioned pins). Any idea what should I connect there to make the drive recognized by the laptop?

Thanks and sorry about the huge post.

Attachments

• IMG_5074.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5074.JPG
    File size
    519.72 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    CF adapter to caddy connection
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_5071.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5071.JPG
    File size
    669.4 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    HDD to caddy connection
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_5070.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5070.JPG
    File size
    525.33 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    laptop HDD without caddy
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_5069.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5069.JPG
    File size
    628.13 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    laptop HDD (caddy) disassembled
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_5066.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_5066.JPG
    File size
    601.01 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    laptop HDD (caddy) detail
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 2, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've read somewhere that one of the wires/lines on the ribbon cable has to be cut in order a CF is seen by BIOS. But I don't remember the details.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 2 of 2, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fixed. I switched the master/slave jumper on the adapter (which AFAIK was always on master, but it's not clearly labeled) and it was detected without a problem. I installed DOS 6.22 on the CF card without any issues.

Thanks!