VOGONS

First post, by WarhammerTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey people, i'm new here but i read a long time in this forum and it's very interesting and helpfull, but for my problem, i don't have found a solution.

First of all, i write my configuration of my system:

IBM PS/2 Model 30 -286

2 MB RAM (70ns Intel SIMM, with IBM PS/2 modification, 2x 1MB)
New DS 12887 A Chip because old was not working, now works fine after setting everything with IBM boot disk

ACCTON LAN Adapter EN1660 (NE2000 compatible)
IRQ: 11 I/O: 0x360 Jumperless NE2000 Medium type: Auto Detect Full Duplex Enabled
Boot Rom: 0xD000 (XTIDE BIOS)
I use Packetdriver NWPD.com from Accton

KWX-SC1630 Soundcard (ES1688)
IRQ: 10 DMA: 0 IO: 0x220 MPU401: 0x300
IDE is used with the ROM Chip XTIDE at the LAN Card and a Samsung 80 GB HDD (Only 8 GB are working)

Operating system is MS DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 (but i don’t use it at the moment)
I disabled the COM1 and LPT1 interface with the IBM boot disk to free some IRQs

Now my problems:

1st problem is LAN connection. I use mTCP to connect to my FTP server. I have connection and sometimes i can load some files without crash, but most time, in bigger files, mFTP stops loading the files (or PC hang up, but restart with CTRL ALT Del is still working), in Filezilla server i can see, that connection is lost.
Same problem is when i use Windows with NWPD and WINPKT and winsock 2.0 and cuteFTP.
I can see file download and after some time it hangs.
Maybe it could be some Memory problems but i’m not sure. I tested memory with Checkit (i add a picture) and strange problem, memory test passed, an das u see, it writes „Press any key to continue“ but it hangs up and now restart is working. I need to turn computer off.
I thougt maybe ist memory problem and i used advanced diagnostic disk from IBM and made a lot of memory tests and they passed fine (i add picture too). So no memory problem? Message 200 means no error.
Anybody know some solution?
This is my mtcp config:

packetint 0x60
HOSTNAME IBMPS2
IPADDR 192.168.178.99
NETMASK 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY 192.168.178.1
NAMESERVER 192.168.178.1
MTU 576

2nd problem is with soundcard.
In windows everything works fine, i can play wav files very good.
But i tried the Game Dune2 and i cant here any musik or effekts. But i can hear the digital voices (tank fire, „Ready“, „acknowlage“ voices)
The game filies are all OK. I testet game at my normal PC with Dosbox and all sounds / Musik work.
I think the game should work with sound at the PS2 too, i saw videos in Youtube playing Dune 2 with all sounds at 286 with 1MB.
Did the game need some special IRQ/DMA?
Is there some tool i can use to check if my soundcard is working well in DOS? Or do i need some MIDI Daughterboard fort he card?

Autoexec.bat:

C:\WINDOWS\ESSCFG.EXE /B:300 /M:E
C:\WINDOWS\ESSVOL.EXE /V:8 /l:8 /W:8 /S:8 /A:8
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS;C:\winsock;c:\winsock2;c:\bin;c:\mtcp;c:\zip
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
SET MTCPCFG=c:\mtcp\tcp.cfg
SET BLASTER=A220 I10 D0 P300 T2
lh KEYB GR,,C:\DOS\KEYBOARD.SYS
goto %config%

:Netzwerk
c:\winsock\nwpd.com 0x60 11 0x360
echo Netzwerkkonfiguration geladen
goto ende

:Standart
echo Standartconfig gelden
lh /L:0;2,3328 /s c:\ctmouse.exe
goto ende

:Windows
c:\winsock\nwpd.com 0x60 11 0x360
c:\winsock\winpkt.com 0x60
goto ende

:DosGames
echo Spielekonfiguration gelden
lh /L:0;2,3328 /s c:\ctmouse.exe
goto ende

:ende

Config.sys:

[Menu]
menuitem=Standart
menuitem=Netzwerk
menuitem=Windows
menuitem=DosGames

[common]
rem device=\dasddrvr.sys
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\EMU386S.exe
DOS=HIGH, UMB
COUNTRY=049,850,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
FILES=30

[Standart]
lastdrive=f

[DosGames]
lastdrive=f

[Netzwerk]
LASTDRIVE=Z

[Windows]
LASTDRIVE=Z

I hope i gave all neccesserry informations, if not, please ask.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by WarhammerTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, now i solved 2 of 3 problems.

1: Checkit crash after memory test: It seems like its not working when you set DOS=HIGH, UMB in config.sys, if you remove this, checkit work very well.
2. FTP Problem: its working after set config file:

mtu 1500
ftp_tcp_buffer 16384
ftp_file_buffer 32768

with this parameter, FTP works

but 3rd problem still not fixed.
No music in games, i tested other games (day of the tentacle, monkey islan) but no sound. It seems like the OPL3 / FM synth doesnt work with the es1688.

i Will make other treath only for the sound problem.

Reply 2 of 2, by Jonas-fr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you enable the loading of dasddrvr.sys (commented out in your config.sys) and see is there's any improvement? It's a hotfix for buggy PS/2 BIOS that was designed for PC-DOS 3.30 and higher but it's not clear if MS-DOS solve these issues (click here for a list of these).

If you don't have the file you'll find it enclosed with my post since it's sometimes difficult to find it on the web.

Attachments

• Filename
    DASDDRVR.zip
    File size
    806 Bytes
    Downloads
    38 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception