VOGONS

First post, by SPiKA85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! Greetings from Argentina.
Recently I took a gamble and bought a "non working" PC for just 8USD.
The PC interested me because there was an Intel D815EEA2 mainboard inside.
Luckily it just had a faulty RAM... everything else seems to work just fine.

I understand that this motherboard supports Tualatin CPUs right out the box, with no pin modifications or adapters.
Currently it has the P19 BIOS version installed.
Do I need a specific BIOS version for Tualatin?
Where can I download said BIOS? Because Intel doesn't support old mainboards in their website anymore.

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SPiKA85 wrote on 2020-07-10, 17:03:
Hello! Greetings from Argentina. Recently I took a gamble and bought a "non working" PC for just 8USD. The PC interested me beca […]
Show full quote

Hello! Greetings from Argentina.
Recently I took a gamble and bought a "non working" PC for just 8USD.
The PC interested me because there was an Intel D815EEA2 mainboard inside.
Luckily it just had a faulty RAM... everything else seems to work just fine.

I understand that this motherboard supports Tualatin CPUs right out the box, with no pin modifications or adapters.
Currently it has the P19 BIOS version installed.
Do I need a specific BIOS version for Tualatin?
Where can I download said BIOS? Because Intel doesn't support old mainboards in their website anymore.

Thank you!

A google search led me here:
BIOS P14 for D815EEA2
It's been reported that the P15 BIOS worked with Tualatin 1400 (which should be the one with 512KB cache).
The P15 was uploaded by someone in that thread, you should be able to download it from there.
Obviously all at your own risk yada yada 😜

EDIT: Please do backup the old BIOS file as it is likely the file will be impossible to find if you ever happen to need it again for whatever reason.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-07-11, 01:21. Edited 2 times in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 15, by SPiKA85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2020-07-11, 00:23:
A google search led me here: BIOS P14 for D815EEA2 It's been reported that the P15 BIOS worked with Tualatin 1400 (which should […]
Show full quote

BIOS P14 for D815EEA2
It's been reported that the P15 BIOS worked with Tualatin 1400 (which should be the one with 512KB cache).
The P15 was uploaded by someone in that thread, you should be able to download it from there.

Thank you!
In that thread I found an executable to generate a bootable floppy... but I don't have any working floppy...
Is there a way to extract the BIOS rom and flash utility to burn it to a CD?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-07-11, 01:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SPiKA85 wrote on 2020-07-11, 00:27:
Thank you! In that thread I found an executable to generate a bootable floppy... but I don't have any working floppy... Is there […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2020-07-11, 00:23:
A google search led me here: BIOS P14 for D815EEA2 It's been reported that the P15 BIOS worked with Tualatin 1400 (which should […]
Show full quote

BIOS P14 for D815EEA2

Thank you!
In that thread I found an executable to generate a bootable floppy... but I don't have any working floppy...

Please mind the edit I made in my above reply 😜

I don't know. I have a physical floppy so that's what I have used.
I can't remember if the D815EAA2 had a removable BIOS, I haven't used my D815EEA boards in years now, but if they are removable and you have the file, you could use a BIOS flasher and bypass the use of a floppy drive that way.

I don't typically update any BIOS unless I really have to.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 15, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you!

The extracted files are in the attached zip - put them on your bootable media (CD, USB) or in a directory on the system from where you can run the AUTOEXEC.BAT file from a DOS prompt (actual DOS rather than a Win 9x Command window)

Filename
Intel_D815EEA2_P15.zip
File size
542.29 KiB
Downloads
136 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 15, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

P19 doesn't support it out of the box, but p15 does?

Seems counter intuitive.

i have a d815eea2 board, i used with a p3 1.0/133fsb, the combo was rock steady stable with win2kpro.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 6 of 15, by SPiKA85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-07-11, 05:26:

Thank you!

The extracted files are in the attached zip - put them on your bootable media (CD, USB) or in a directory on the system from where you can run the AUTOEXEC.BAT file from a DOS prompt (actual DOS rather than a Win 9x Command window)

Intel_D815EEA2_P15.zip

Thank you very very much! That was really helpful.
I already flashed the P15 BIOS and it's working beautifully with a 800EB Cumine.
Now I need to find a nice Tualatin! 😁
At least I have the mainboard with the correct BIOS ready to take it.

Reply 7 of 15, by SPiKA85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cobra42898 wrote on 2020-07-11, 13:32:

Seems counter intuitive.

Yes... that sounds strange, but that's how it is.
With a newer BIOS, the PC will boot up, but you will get an error message saying that the processor isn't supported.
The same happens with some 440BX mainboards made by Intel. The board officially supports PIII up to 850MHz, but you can use a 1000MHz CPU with an older BIOS.
I guess they are trying to force you to buy a newer mainboard (?)

Reply 8 of 15, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SPiKA85 wrote on 2020-07-11, 19:57:
Yes... that sounds strange, but that's how it is. With a newer BIOS, the PC will boot up, but you will get an error message sayi […]
Show full quote
Cobra42898 wrote on 2020-07-11, 13:32:

Seems counter intuitive.

Yes... that sounds strange, but that's how it is.
With a newer BIOS, the PC will boot up, but you will get an error message saying that the processor isn't supported.
The same happens with some 440BX mainboards made by Intel. The board officially supports PIII up to 850MHz, but you can use a 1000MHz CPU with an older BIOS.
I guess they are trying to force you to buy a newer mainboard (?)

The s spec may be the issue, they likely wanted you to only run the s spec on a server class board, plus it cannibalized p4 sales do I'd think it's protectionism

Reply 12 of 15, by nosdio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-03-23, 08:53:

Attempting to run a Tualatin in an unmodified Coppermine-only board should not damage anything. The system simply won't post.

Ok thanks then i will flash the p15 and try the 1266 😀

Reply 13 of 15, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys - maybe a silly question? Not sure what I am doing wrong but I picked up a working Intel D815EEA2 motherboard, came with a regular P3. Flashed it with P15 as per the instructions in the thread, but the machine doesn't post with a 1.4ghz tualatin-s installed. The P3 still works fine. I tried putting the bios setting jumped onto 'reconfigure' but that didn't help either... surely I must be missing something basic! So strange. Any ideas appreciated thank you.

Reply 14 of 15, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mzry wrote on 2022-07-26, 18:13:

Hey guys - maybe a silly question? Not sure what I am doing wrong but I picked up a working Intel D815EEA2 motherboard, came with a regular P3. Flashed it with P15 as per the instructions in the thread, but the machine doesn't post with a 1.4ghz tualatin-s installed. The P3 still works fine. I tried putting the bios setting jumped onto 'reconfigure' but that didn't help either... surely I must be missing something basic! So strange. Any ideas appreciated thank you.

Which board revision do you have? - see the last few posts of this thread for more info Re: Intel d815EEA2 motherboard Inbound....

Reply 15 of 15, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-07-27, 13:33:
mzry wrote on 2022-07-26, 18:13:

Which board revision do you have? - see the last few posts of this thread for more info Re: Intel d815EEA2 motherboard Inbound....

Thanks, yeah it seems it wasn't the 'U' version.