VOGONS

First post, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

did anyone here ever replaced the cpu socket on a motherboard?

i just got a dual socket370 board that has the tabs broken on one of the sockets. so the cooler cannot be installed.

its easy to know why, stupid intel used some kind of coolers with plastic tabs and a lever (equal to the pentium4 ones) that create an incredible amount of force. i had never seen cpu coolers like these ones

i do own a DEsolderind station. and also an hot air station. but i see this as a hell lot of work to do , besides i. not sure if socket370 replacements are available.

intel-socket-370-cooler-set-2.gif

Reply 1 of 11, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've done it on a socket 8 machine. it REQUIRES a desoldering gun/station. I have a socket 370 board in the same situation as you, but its a project for a later day.

be patient, if you pull a single pad, the board is FUBAR. go slow, be gentle.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 11, by mt777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Desoldering from pc motherboards is usually annoying (due to tight holes and and multi-layers pcb).
Another approach: you can find heatsinks with Patent (without clips, only use screws to join heatsink with cpu) but with this way cpu is never perfectly aligned to socket.
I did it with Nexgen socket.

Reply 3 of 11, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mt777 wrote on 2020-07-24, 22:26:

Desoldering from pc motherboards is usually annoying (due to tight holes and and multi-layers pcb).
Another approach: you can find heatsinks with Patent (without clips, only use screws to join heatsink with cpu) but with this way cpu is never perfectly aligned to socket.
I did it with Nexgen socket.

hi can you show me a picture of such heatsinks?

Reply 4 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Curious if only one of the main tabs is broken ? Or are two broken ?
My socket 370 have two tabs each side meaning you can use one of two different heatsink types, one clamps on mid tabs (like your heatsink picture) other uses the offset tabs. Can you post a picture ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 11, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-07-25, 02:05:

My socket 370 have two tabs each side meaning you can use one of two different heatsink types, one clamps on mid tabs (like your heatsink picture) other uses the offset tabs. Can you post a picture ?

sadly, both broke

Reply 6 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SETBLASTER wrote on 2020-07-25, 02:10:
Horun wrote on 2020-07-25, 02:05:

sadly, both broke

Can you post a picture ? Maybe someone can come with an alternative to replacing the socket ( I see also that as the very last choice due to the chances of board damage)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 11, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A long time ago I remember an eBay seller who used to liquidate unused computer parts in bulk, and one of the items that came up was a box of something like 144 socket-370 ZIF sockets. I kind of wish I had bought that, but it seemed pointless at the time since I couldn't install them, and I still can't.

Years ago there was a post by mockingbird about pulling the plastic socket off the board, leaving the pins behind and then sticking a new socket over them.
Re: Socket 370 vs Slot 1 performance
I still need to try that, nothing really came up that provoked me to get that adventurous.
I wouldn't be brave enough to try it on something valuable like a dual CPU board though.

The easier workaround is to permanently epoxy a heatsink to the CPU and hope the socket will grip it tightly enough that it doesn't fall out. Or try epoxying the broken plastic if you still have it, as Repo Man suggested.

Reply 10 of 11, by mt777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Two different heatsinks. Pink heatsink is more designed to socket7 but I had in the past a bigger this kind version

Attachments

• 20200620_221053.jpg
    Filename
    20200620_221053.jpg
    File size
    38.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20200620_221045.jpg
    Filename
    20200620_221045.jpg
    File size
    275.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20200620_213037.jpg
    Filename
    20200620_213037.jpg
    File size
    155.12 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think a Lin Lin socket adapter would work here, but I just did a quick search, and it seems they're very difficult to find. Slocket adapters are cheap, so one of those would be a good source of a donor socket if you want to try that.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey