VOGONS

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there difference in speed between the two interfaces? (Regardless of the different bus speeds from the two) I heard that Slot 1 converted the data bit to lower sizes and was not as good as Socket 370. I've also read that Slot 1 was not as good in cooling as Socket 370 with the cpu being on a cartridge. Then again many Pentium IIIs had huge passive coolers on Slot 1, making them great choices for silent running HTPCs. 😀

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 12, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not aware of any built-in speed difference, but I can imagine that 370 might have a cleaner signal path and be more overclockable. That's just speculation though, I don't have solid evidence of that.

Slot-1 gives you some flexibility with slocket adapters though, and if you ever break the heatsink retaining clip, which happens easily on 370, then you'll only have ruined a slocket and not an entire motherboard.

Reply 2 of 12, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes and if the black Slot 1 cpu clips are broken, they are easily replaceable, unlike breaking the Socket 370 heatsink holding tabs - then you're out of a motherboard.

Reply 3 of 12, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Up to 1ghz, between Slot 1 and Socket 370 CPU's, performance is almost identical. Regardless of the bus speed which barely makes a difference...well from 100mhz to 133mhz anyway. If you have a choice though, I'd recommend going for a socket 370 board. Choice of CPU's ranging all the way up to 1.4ghz (depending on the board of course) and if the board doesn't support Tualatins, just buy a pin modded 1.4ghz Tully for $30 from eBay. I've found that as long as the board supports coppermine CPU's, the pin modded Tully will work fine. There's also many different coolers to choose from as well.

Have a look for an Asus Cubx motherboard with an ISA slot. Intel 440BX chipset, official support for up to 1ghz CPU's but will also work with the pin modded 1.4ghz Tualatin and an ISA slot for dos compatibility.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/281238323137

Reply 4 of 12, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I prefer Slot 1 since you can install an S370 CPU in a slot, but not the other way around. The faster coppermines and tualatins are available in socket form only but will work in a Slot board with a slocket/slotket adapter (whatever you want to call it; I think "slocket" sounds funny). Most slockets also have jumpers to change the CPU voltage which is not generally available on 440BX boards directly.
Slot 1 generally has better cooling options available, a silent 120mm fan fits exactly on the large heatsinks (which are really meant for passive cooling).
You can also swap Slot 1 CPUs around really quickly. Just pull it out and plug another one in, no need to replace the heatsink.

Some slot 1 boards I can highly recommend are MSI MS-6119, ASUS P2B and ASUS P3B. That last one is by far the best 440BX board I know of, but unfortunately only provides one ISA slot.

computergeek92 wrote:

Yes and if the black Slot 1 cpu clips are broken, they are easily replaceable, unlike breaking the Socket 370 heatsink holding tabs - then you're out of a motherboard.

It's not impossible to glue them back on. I did this once, still holds very well.

Reply 5 of 12, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computergeek92 wrote:

Not true.

The whole white plastic socket is not soldered on to the motherboard, it's just epoxied onto the motherboard. It can be removed and replaced. On the Asus CUSL2, Asus used a very weak glue, and it is very easy to remove the socket.

Reply 6 of 12, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:

Slot-1 gives you some flexibility with slocket adapters though, and if you ever break the heatsink retaining clip, which happens easily on 370, then you'll only have ruined a slocket and not an entire motherboard.

computergeek92 wrote:

Come on, there is such thing as thermal glue, you do not have to throw away your board.

Reply 7 of 12, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I just never had to worry about a broken Socket 370. I assumed it was completely soldered on.

Reply 8 of 12, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On Slot 1 cooling. There are plenty of low-profile heatsinks available that can have fans attached for active cooling. They're wide enough that you can actually attach twin fans to some of them.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 9 of 12, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:
shamino wrote:

computergeek92 wrote:

Come on, there is such thing as thermal glue, you do not have to throw away your board.

If you mean epoxying the broken tab, I have a hard time trusting that, but maybe it works.

You can epoxy a heatsink to the CPU, but I find that very undesirable and still consider it a ruined motherboard regardless. At that point all I can say is that it's not quite trash, but it's close.
The heatsink can never come back off.
Most 370 Coppermines only have a small die area with no heatspreader, but I suppose it's still big enough to attach to.
The weight of the heatsink is now pulling on the ZIF socket, unless it's a horizontal case.
It might be impractical to ever remove the CPU and reinstall it. I don't think I'd be able to line the pins up with the whole heatsink on top of it, but I've never tried.

I've resorted to this on a Compaq Deskpro. It now has a permanent 1.4GHz P3-S. I'd like to be able to swap it around for experiments but at this point I think I need to buy another one and just leave that CPU where it is.

mockingbird wrote:

The whole white plastic socket is not soldered on to the motherboard, it's just epoxied onto the motherboard. It can be removed and replaced. On the Asus CUSL2, Asus used a very weak glue, and it is very easy to remove the socket.

I've never heard this before. I'm confused how this can be, but I'll have to try messing with one of my broken 370s sometime and see what you mean. Sounds encouraging.
I hate that socket. Maybe this will make me hate it a little less.

Reply 10 of 12, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote:

I've never heard this before. I'm confused how this can be, but I'll have to try messing with one of my broken 370s sometime and see what you mean. Sounds encouraging.
I hate that socket. Maybe this will make me hate it a little less.

A picture is worth a thousand words (Or rather in this case, two pictures).

IMG_28692.jpg
Filename
IMG_28692.jpg
File size
114.51 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_28662.jpg
Filename
IMG_28662.jpg
File size
108.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Notice the glue on the board where the corners of the socket makes contact. Asus used very weak glue on the CUSL2. With other boards, I'd imagine you'd have an easier time if you applied heat with a heatgun beforehand.

Those three larger holes in the top left corner of the socket were made by me. I made them bigger because I wanted to cover the CPU pins with sleeving to insulate them in an attempt to run a Tualatin without a socket. It worked, but it wasn't stable.

The slotket is easily removable and I can replace it quite easily as well. If you want higher res pictures, LMK.

Reply 11 of 12, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, so literally the whole plastic comes off in one piece. So the pins can pull through the plastic and stay behind - I'm surprised, but that's excellent.
I have a ridiculous amount of junk motherboards that don't work for whatever reasons. I don't have a CUSL2 but there might be some other Asus 370 in the pile. If so I assume other Asus models might be just as easy as the CUSL2 so that would be my first candidate to get a feel for this.

Reply 12 of 12, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup.

The only downside to this is that when the motherboard is mounted vertically, the only thing holding the socket to the motherboard is the glue and the cpu pin friction with the leads on the motherboard when the socket is closed. If your case is a tower, you might need to use some epoxy when you replace the socket for some extra strength.