VOGONS

First post, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll been trying to fix this for a while but I can't figure it out.
I have a Slot 1 board (Asus P3B-F) that continuous informs me that the "Hardware Monitor found an error". I use it for a number of configurations. Regardless of what I put in it, I get a hardware error at every boot. I suppose I could ignore it, but I'm worried that it may fry something.

Should this be a concern?

Attachments

Reply 2 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree with Darry, or the -5v is truly over spec. Many late model ATX do not supply -5v. Your +12v is also above the +/- 5% "good" spec and is nearly +10%. I would try a different PSU.
Also: if you connect a floppy drive or change the floppy to none (in BIOS) that will eliminate the other error...
edit: my goof 🤣

Last edited by Horun on 2020-08-22, 19:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 13, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NEVER trust the motherboard's BIOS readings of voltages, especially on older motherboards. Most of the time those are really far off the actual values, you need to check with a multimeter.

The "Hardware Monitor found an error" is likely due to your PSU being newer and not providing -5V, but that shouldn't be a problem if the other voltages are fine.

Again, don't mind those readings and use a multimeter. Just a few days back I was testing an Athlon XP board and the BIOS reported 4.7V, 11.2 and 3.1 while measuring on a molex plug with a multimeter got me 5.0, 12.1 and 3.3.

Reply 5 of 13, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Buy a Multimeter and measure yourself.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 13, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Miphee wrote on 2020-08-22, 19:09:

The rest of the specs are bad too, throw the PSU out.

The PSU is a Cooler Master 500w RS-500-PCAR-D3 . Its fairly new

TheMobRules wrote on 2020-08-22, 19:22:

NEVER trust the motherboard's BIOS readings of voltages, especially on older motherboards. Most of the time those are really far off the actual values, you need to check with a multimeter.

The "Hardware Monitor found an error" is likely due to your PSU being newer and not providing -5V, but that shouldn't be a problem if the other voltages are fine.

Again, don't mind those readings and use a multimeter. Just a few days back I was testing an Athlon XP board and the BIOS reported 4.7V, 11.2 and 3.1 while measuring on a molex plug with a multimeter got me 5.0, 12.1 and 3.3.

noted. I'll look into getting a multimeter. I never used one before though.

Reply 7 of 13, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have a P3B-F and faced the same thing, your modern PSU doesn't have a -5V rail, which is not an issue unless you have an ISA soundcard that requires it (I don't - and I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you more info on that subject, but search around or someone else will chime in 😀 )

You can disable the -5V rail check directly from the bios. Highlight the -5V entry, press + on your keyboard, and it will change to "Ignore". Save and quit.

Don't know what CPU you're running (or plan on running) but in any case, maybe you'll be interested in this: Modified BIOSes for ASUS P3B-F, P3V4X, P3V133, CUBX, CUBX-E/L and P3C-E
I'm running a 1.4 Tualatin on a slotket using this BIOS, running perfect, that build's a beast 😀

EDIT: I wouldn't be that worried about your voltages. I'm also running a modern brand new PSU and my voltages are also measured all over the place in the bios, yet my build is 100% stable and has been for months. If you feel like learning something new and have easy access to a multimeter, go for it 😀 but I highly doubt anything is wrong there - not a guarantee, just my 2 cents based on my own similar experience.

Reply 8 of 13, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2020-08-22, 19:41:
I also have a P3B-F and faced the same thing, your modern PSU doesn't have a -5V rail, which is not an issue unless you have an […]
Show full quote

I also have a P3B-F and faced the same thing, your modern PSU doesn't have a -5V rail, which is not an issue unless you have an ISA soundcard that requires it (I don't - and I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you more info on that subject, but search around or someone else will chime in 😀 )

You can disable the -5V rail check directly from the bios. Highlight the -5V entry, press + on your keyboard, and it will change to "Ignore". Save and quit.

Don't know what CPU you're running (or plan on running) but in any case, maybe you'll be interested in this: Modified BIOSes for ASUS P3B-F, P3V4X, P3V133, CUBX, CUBX-E/L and P3C-E
I'm running a 1.4 Tualatin on a slotket using this BIOS, running perfect, that build's a beast 😀

Awesome. I didn't know I could run a Tual on it.

I'm currently running a PII 450mhz, but I was looking to upgrade to a faster PIII. Slotket may be the route to go.

I am running a Soundblaster 16, but I don't believe it draws that much power.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 13, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P3B-F are very good boards.

I really doubt the SB16 needs the -5V rail. My understanding is that it is part of the ISA specs, but only used by older sound cards on the cheaper side as better sound cards wouldn't depend on the bus but have everything onboard.

Basically, does your soundcard work and sound properly? If so it doesn't need the -5V rail.
FYI I just checked, removed the ignore in my bios and it also shows -6.14V like yours, which is probably a bogus/error value when the rail isn't present I suppose? Just set the -5V check to "ignore" in the bios and forget it 😀

About the Tualatin, you need a modified one (Korean seller on eBay, easy to find) and for slotket I used a MSI MS-6905 I found pretty cheap on eBay as well. More info there if you're interested: Link

Reply 10 of 13, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2020-08-22, 20:01:
P3B-F are very good boards. […]
Show full quote

I really doubt the SB16 needs the -5V rail. My understanding is that it is part of the ISA specs, but only used by older sound cards on the cheaper side as better sound cards wouldn't depend on the bus but have everything onboard.

Basically, does your soundcard work and sound properly? If so it doesn't need the -5V rail.
FYI I just checked, removed the ignore in my bios and it also shows -6.14V like yours, which is probably a bogus/error value when the rail isn't present I suppose? Just set the -5V check to "ignore" in the bios and forget it 😀

About the Tualatin, you need a modified one (Korean seller on eBay, easy to find) and for slotket I used a MSI MS-6905 I found pretty cheap on eBay as well. More info there if you're interested: Link

Yeah, the SB16 works fine, as far as I can tell.

I have an extra 1.4 Tual lying around. One is already in my pga370 board (which I use for 4x cards). Do I have to modify the cpu ITSELF to get it working?

Reply 12 of 13, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aublak wrote on 2020-08-22, 20:17:
Boohyaka wrote on 2020-08-22, 20:01:
P3B-F are very good boards. […]
Show full quote

Yeah, the SB16 works fine, as far as I can tell.

I have an extra 1.4 Tual lying around. One is already in my pga370 board (which I use for 4x cards). Do I have to modify the cpu ITSELF to get it working?

You can modify the slotket.