VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm about to order capacitor kits for my TRS80 Model 100 laptops.
This got me to thinking that I never checked the power supplies on my Toshiba T5200 laptops for bad capacitors.
As these are my favorite machines (I think...), I'm now kind of concerned about it. And I haven't done a capacitor replacement for anything, yet.

Is there a "standard" capacitor kit for power supplies? Has anyone recapped a T5200 power supply? Does anyone know of a list of capacitors I'm likely to need? I'd like to have my ducks in a row before I open up the laptop, if possible.

Any advice or "gotchas" I should be aware of?

Reply 1 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope. Individual designs can differ quite a lot. Open it up, read the values, then get those. Higher voltage rating is almost always fine, but capacitance need to be the same, or failing that as similar as possible.

Reply 2 of 9, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-12-21, 21:49:

Nope. Individual designs can differ quite a lot. Open it up, read the values, then get those. Higher voltage rating is almost always fine, but capacitance need to be the same, or failing that as similar as possible.

Know of a reliable source in the States?

Reply 3 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hamby wrote on 2020-12-22, 00:37:

Mouser and DigiKey are both reliable. When you select your replacements, check the size and leg spacing, to make sure they will fit, as there can be some variance

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 9, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2020-12-22, 00:47:

Mouser and DigiKey are both reliable. When you select your replacements, check the size and leg spacing, to make sure they will fit, as there can be some variance

Thanks very much for the advice and info!

Reply 5 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hamby wrote on 2020-12-22, 02:05:

Agree ! Some of the older 8mm or 10mm width bigger caps are hard to find, you need to look carefully for those.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try to select caps from compatible series. Certain applications can become unstable with ESR values too different from those they replace.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-12-23, 03:40:

Try to select caps from compatible series. Certain applications can become unstable with ESR values too different from those they replace.

Totally agree and Yes this ^
Many older AT PSU (like Antec AT PSU's) do not like newer low ESR caps because they were not designed for them. Have read and run into this myself.
Same with older XT/286 PSU, the caps were low ESR by the standards of that period but not like what is out since ATX.
"Try to select caps from compatible series" is very good advise !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-12-23, 04:24:
Totally agree and Yes this ^ Many older AT PSU (like Antec AT PSU's) do not like newer low ESR caps because they were not desig […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-12-23, 03:40:

Totally agree and Yes this ^
Many older AT PSU (like Antec AT PSU's) do not like newer low ESR caps because they were not designed for them. Have read and run into this myself.
Same with older XT/286 PSU, the caps were low ESR by the standards of that period but not like what is out since ATX.
"Try to select caps from compatible series" is very good advise !

This is specifically an issue when changing caps alters the parameters of the feedback loop for the controller.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 9, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-12-22, 03:14:
Hamby wrote on 2020-12-22, 02:05:

Agree ! Some of the older 8mm or 10mm width bigger caps are hard to find, you need to look carefully for those.

The Nichicon PM line is probably the oldest low ESR line with wide availability, those are some seriously large capacitors. I ordered those all around for my Tandy 1400LT laptop, but they were often significantly LARGER than what was originally specced to the point of barely fitting.