VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I just received a package that includes some 100v 50/60Hz equipment. Some of the equipment uses wall warts that are rated at 100V 50/60Hz AC.

I did a quick test on a couple of them plugged straight into the 110/120v outlet and then plugged into a variac set at 100v, confimed with my multimeter.

#1 rated at 9v
#1 - 17v DC
#1 with variac - 12.9v DC

#2 rated at 12v
#2 20v DC
#2 with variac - 17v DC

I'm guessing it would not be safe to use them without the variac or without a step down transformer.

These are all for different sound modules and I don't want to fry them by using the stock adapters, or in the case of some of them that have an internal power supply by plugging them straight into the wall.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, gotta test them under load, usually at least 10% of rated output watts/amps.

Two things I might try to run them and not tie up your variac... put them in series with 100W lightbulbs... or stack 110-220 and 220-110 adapters and see if the losses drop it to 100. Might work even gooderer if you find a 115-220 and put a 230-110 on it... if they're slightly off 2:1 ratios and not just 2:1 and telling you what you wanna hear.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well... one of the adapters that was sent is a 100-230v wall wart and it puts out almost exactly the rated 12v. I also tested one of my 120v Roland 9v adapters and not under load it was putting out a bit over 12v.

I don't mind using the variac for now as this is the first thing I have actually used it for. The company I used to work was giving away a bunch of stuff when they consolidated with another location and it is one of the many things I grabbed.

I'll see if I can do some under load tests.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 5, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are they switching or transformer PSU-s? And usually deviations in mains voltages are allowed. Today 2,5-5% in developing countries even 10%. but with old hardware you better not risk it.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 5 of 5, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FWIW, I've been pumping 120v through the veins of my 100v N64 for well over a decade without issue. I'm not saying that all 100v devices will be as tolerant, but some (possibly many?) seem fine at the slightly higher voltage.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!