VOGONS

First post, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

I wanted to show you to my latest project today.
Currently I am working on a clone of the Datel PC Action Replay card.
I was fascinated by the card when LGR showed it. If you haven't seen the video yet, check it out. It is really worth seeing!
The project has been with me for a while now and the card is now functional.
It is compatible with the original drivers and firmware.
A huge thank you to Rio444. He was always on hand to offer advice and assistance with questions of any kind about the Altera CPLD.

I am currently putting together the final revision of the card.
I am very happy to receive suggestions of any kind (color, name, what ever). Let me know what you think. 😃

Here are the pictures of the various stages of development:
This is revision 2. Almost complete. The final revision will be smaller.

IMG_8681_resized.jpg
Filename
IMG_8681_resized.jpg
File size
317.2 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This is the first revision. At first the plan was to use the AMD PLDs, but I quickly got off of that.
They are super sensitive, not readily available, and inconvenient to program. Simply unsuitable for a quick trial and error.

IMG_5290_resized.jpg
Filename
IMG_5290_resized.jpg
File size
360.95 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This is the development board. My Altera CPLD development board is on it. So I can quickly use it in other projects in the future.

IMG_8683_resized.jpg
Filename
IMG_8683_resized.jpg
File size
263.74 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The only thing missing is the controller. I would love to have the same case as the original.
Unfortunately, I am not particularly keen on creating CAD models.

Last edited by JimWest on 2021-06-19, 14:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oooh this is very nice, kudos!
I also saw the LGR video and wanted one but they are so rare nowdays...
when you sell them keep me in mind for one 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's pretty sweet. I used to use a software only cheat program that operated much the same way. Not sure if there were functions to save screenshots or slowmo though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

was it Game Wizard Pro cyclone3d ? I used it back then - it was helping in some situations 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I just looked up instructions for it and that sounds like it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JimWest wrote on 2021-06-11, 19:49:

I am currently putting together the final revision of the card.
I am very happy to receive suggestions of any kind (color, name, what ever). Let me know what you think. 😃

Please improve the edge connector. Ensure it is properly beveled and rounded, pull back the solder mask from it, and at a minimum use ENIG (hard gold would be 1000x better)

Reply 7 of 10, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many Thanks!

Yes, of course there are also software solutions. I can't say exactly where the difference is.
But I just like the hardware approach with a controller on my desk, a blinking LED and a button that I can press whenever I want. 😆

maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-06-12, 02:48:

Please improve the edge connector. Ensure it is properly beveled and rounded, pull back the solder mask from it, and at a minimum use ENIG (hard gold would be 1000x better)

Thanks for the comment. The final revision will definitly be at least ENIG.
What exactly do you mean by properly beveled and rounded?
And why pull back the solder mask from it?
It is a simple D-SUB male connector with 9 pins. Identical to the original. It is in the same position as a VGA connector. So you can also use the slot bracket of an old defective ISA graphics card if you want.

keropi wrote on 2021-06-11, 19:52:

oooh this is very nice, kudos!
I also saw the LGR video and wanted one but they are so rare nowdays...
when you sell them keep me in mind for one 😀

Well, I don't have enough time to build and sell copies of it. I have two little kids. Maybe you feel like it? Or dreamblaster? Or Marmes? 😄

Reply 8 of 10, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JimWest wrote on 2021-06-12, 18:31:
Thanks for the comment. The final revision will definitly be at least ENIG. What exactly do you mean by properly beveled and rou […]
Show full quote
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-06-12, 02:48:

Thanks for the comment. The final revision will definitly be at least ENIG.
What exactly do you mean by properly beveled and rounded?
And why pull back the solder mask from it?
It is a simple D-SUB male connector with 9 pins. Identical to the original. It is in the same position as a VGA connector. So you can also use the slot bracket of an old defective ISA graphics card if you want.

Oh you mean the ISA connector. Now I got it 😃

Reply 9 of 10, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JimWest wrote on 2021-06-11, 19:49:
I wanted to show you to my latest project today. Currently I am working on a clone of the Datel PC Action Replay card. I was fas […]
Show full quote

I wanted to show you to my latest project today.
Currently I am working on a clone of the Datel PC Action Replay card.
I was fascinated by the card when LGR showed it. If you haven't seen the video yet, check it out. It is really worth seeing!
The project has been with me for a while now and the card is now functional.
It is compatible with the original drivers and firmware.
A huge thank you to Rio444. He was always on hand to offer advice and assistance with questions of any kind about the Altera CPLD.

This is awesome. I am currently playing around with ISA bus and thinking about doing my own board (been doing FPGA stuff for a long time and I'd like to apply it). Do you have a build log or an explanation of your design somewhere? I see SRAM sitting right on the ISA bus I think, and I'm wondering if this is a neat trick that I should learn about.
Thanks!

Reply 10 of 10, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! 😀
Well, I don't have a real functional diagram at hand at the moment. But basically, it's very similar to this ISA card regarding the SRAM. See link: https://youtu.be/rj1CxmtXPWM

As far as I remember, he also has a more detailed description of it on his page.

If you are generally interested in an Action Rewind, you can have a look here: ACTION REWIND: a clone of the original IBM PC Action Replay card
Keropi offers the card.