VOGONS

First post, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I've found this case from EK computers that is in very bad shape and was going to salvage the parts, but for some reason after removing the radiator and seeing that it has cooper tubes, i thought that maybe this case is more interesting than it looks.
So, having very little experience with watercooling, only refilled some AIO I thought it would be a good idea to ask in the forum.
Were these cases common? It is worth the work of restoring it considering that, I do not have the side panels, the pump is AC and it does not seem to work and the power supply although it works is modified, finally, it has a control board that I don't understand what it was for.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 16, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems to have been a Spanish outfit that developed the Speedplus / Speedplus Pro systems using TEC coolers

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=aut … lo/ekspeed1.htm

Interesting looking case anyway, so shame about the rust.

Reply 4 of 16, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd just pull the liquid cooling, clean/sand/protectant coat the rust, and then throw a 386 or 486 in there since that's the vibe that case gives me.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 5 of 16, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-07-19, 15:58:

Seems to have been a Spanish outfit that developed the Speedplus / Speedplus Pro systems using TEC coolers

I had not found that article, it is interesting to know that it is from the socket A era. I have several computers from that era so I am encouraging myself to try to restore it. The difficult parts will be the support for the cpu block, the side panels that I do not have, and correctly remove the rust.

Reply 6 of 16, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hoping wrote on 2021-07-19, 16:24:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-07-19, 15:58:

I had not found that article, it is interesting to know that it is from the socket A era. I have several computers from that era so I am encouraging myself to try to restore it. The difficult parts will be the support for the cpu block, the side panels that I do not have, and correctly remove the rust.

Hope your Spanish is up to scratch

Filename
manual_montaje_kit.pdf
File size
829.74 KiB
Downloads
51 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Got it from their archived website at

https://web.archive.org/web/20010803030106/ht … ekspeedplus.asp

There's even a basic 3D Flash animation of the case - if your browser wont play it, you can download the Adobe Flash Player projector content debugger at https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/deb … _downloads.html

Filename
Speedplus.zip
File size
198.85 KiB
Downloads
37 downloads
File license

Reply 7 of 16, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wan't to know what's the worst, part of this?
I'm from Spain, I thought that it was made by EKWB because of the name EK computers, and looked for EKWB computer cases. But it seens that there's no relation between them. My english is what's not up to scrath.
Now I need to find the time to try to restore it. For now, I've found that the water pump is an simple aquarium pump, and thinking of the easiest and cheapest way to fix the rust.

Reply 8 of 16, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe one of those rust converter compounds, or just wire brush / sand it down to bare metal and apply some silver primer/topcoat. Funnily enough, the actual case metal looks almost galvanised in your pics.

Reply 9 of 16, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it looks galvanised, but it still had coolant inside the radiator and judging by color and smell, I think it was the typical green car coolant, I think that caused the rust even if the case is galvanised. Aniway, it needs a lot of work and time.
Another thin that bothers me are the side panels, I don't know how to make ones, but the rust go first, if it is to deep maybe I won't have the skills needed to fix it.

Reply 10 of 16, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Galvanized cages do rust. Its a myth that they wont. On most computers it is just a very small coat. Leave them exposed out in the weather for a few years a most of the galved case will have shown signs of rust.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 11 of 16, by teclillass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello hoping,
To remove the rust you can use vinegar and baking soda. The bicarbonate is a catalyst to speed up the process.
Later it would be interesting to give him a primer and a hand of paint. Or paint it with a spray, to protect the metal.

PS: Here is another Spanish, Greetings.

Reply 12 of 16, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update on this project, I am usually too lazy to document my projects but I am documenting this a bit, so I will share it.
Disassembled the box completely and removed all rust by hand with patience.
Then I painted it with a color that caught my attention but I have never been good at painting, and the result proves it. Part of the problem is that I didn't know that galvanized surfaces need special treatment for paint to adhere properly. Luckily the parts damaged by the rust were sanded and the paint would not fall from those areas.
The previous owner glued the lid of the reservoir with cyanoacrylate and also the copper outlets of the reservoir have cyanoacrylate on the threads. So patience is what I have left.
Also the reservor lid is deformed so with the help of my heat gun I hope to be able to straighten it.

Attachments

Reply 13 of 16, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Repaired the cpu block, new handmade rubber gaskets, no leaks. Now it leaks due to the connections of the tubes that the joints will possibly have damaged after so many years. Luckily the pump still works and gives a fairly large flow and is very silent when submerged. Now the problem is the tube connections. I want to keep the "home made" look so I'm looking for a solution, but since I don't have any experience with the subject I have to study my options. I would like to get a connection of the style that the radiator has.
So I'm looking for a connection with that thread and a smooth outlet.

Attachments

• P7310163.JPG
    Filename
    P7310163.JPG
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • P7310167.JPG
    Filename
    P7310167.JPG
    File size
    1.13 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • P7270155.JPG
    Filename
    P7270155.JPG
    File size
    1.86 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • P7280159.JPG
    Filename
    P7280159.JPG
    File size
    1.57 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • P7280158.JPG
    Filename
    P7280158.JPG
    File size
    1.59 MiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Hoping on 2021-07-31, 16:59. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 14 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just get hardware store stainless steel hose clamps for about 50 cents each.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 15 of 16, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, edited the post, I've forgot one photo, the one of the actual tube connectors, I want to replace those with something with an outlet like the ones of the radiator and if I can find pressure clamps, not the ones with the screw, I'll be happy.

Reply 16 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, I see now, air tools section may have brass nozzles that fit, automotive section may have brake lines that you can cut off and leave a sleeve to clamp a hose to.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.