VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, but I could make a custom build for you that would allow for that.

The case of using DD media in a high density 1.2MB drive is a bit odd because it requires the use of a unique data transfer rate as well as double stepping the tracks.

The main release will handle 720kB disks in a 1.44MB drive when the parameter is set to type 2 (720kB DSDD 3.5")

Reply 21 of 25, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-08-17, 19:29:

The case of using DD media in a high density 1.2MB drive is a bit odd because it requires the use of a unique data transfer rate as well as double stepping the tracks.

The main release will handle 720kB disks in a 1.44MB drive when the parameter is set to type 2 (720kB DSDD 3.5")

I see now. Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm more of theorizing here. Don't even have a 360k disk. )

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 22 of 25, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bondi wrote on 2021-08-17, 19:41:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-08-17, 19:29:

I see now. Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm more of theorizing here. Don't even have a 360k disk. )

Well don't hesitate to ask if you need to mess with some 360kB disks. IIRC making such a build would require nothing more on my part than editing some constants and hitting build

Reply 23 of 25, by Schoermie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A short update from my adventures with a second floppy controller!

I got two additional Goldstar Prime 2C controller cards for really cheap. On it's own every controller is working fine, but two together won't work, I tried different drives, different orders of the cards and drives and different options in config.sys.
But nothing works, I now gave up on the idea of using two controllers and settled on a comprise:

A hardware switch, similar to the "two drive monte" described here:
https://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/floppies.html

Attached is a photo of my little splitter I soldered up real quick.

It basically interferes with the drive select and manually switches it with a switch between the two drives attached to the splitter.
The only drawback is, that I can't use them at the same time, but that's ok, as long as it works reliably.

I didn't bother to interfere with the motor signal, so when a diskette is inserted on both drives, both spin up. But that's a good tradeoff to only have to switch around one signal. It's of course possible to switch that signal too.
(If someone needs a schematic feel free to ask!)

Thank you alot for your advice!

Attachments

Reply 25 of 25, by Schoermie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-08-23, 14:24:

I guess it was the Prime 2 that wasn't respecting the IRQ/DMA disable bit all along not the Winbond

Could be, could also be a motherboard issue, maybe my board doesn't like dual floppy controllers?

I guess we'll never know