VOGONS

First post, by kane198021

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure if this fits here, but it seems to be the closest. I took the schematics and KiCad files for the Voltage Blaster ISA by Necroware and Phil of "Phil's Computer Lab" and converted it to not occupy an expansion slot. This is mainly for computers that need the -5vDC but don't have that many slots to spare. In the spirit of the original work, I have released my modified files to GitHub. The BOM is the same as the original ISA version, just add an ATX to AT adapter cable and a PCB mounted connector ATX to that. Once an adapter cable is procured, cut the ATX part off and solder it to my PCB. If one has a dead AT power supply, the P8/P9 wires from it can be used instead. Here's the GitHub page:

https://github.com/kane198021/Voltage-Blaster_ATX

I hope this helps someone out there.

Reply 1 of 3, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not going to work.. there's no way you're going to push that many amps from the 12V and 5V rails through those tiny traces and vias. It will just smoke them.

If you want something that doesn't take up a slot, you can look at a similar design to this for ideas: Re: New solutions to the ATX -5V problem

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah tiny traces cannot handle much current. Just speaking of -5v: The -5v needs to be able to supply up to 0.3 amps, typical old AT supplies -5v were max about 0.5 amp which is a lot for some tiny traces.
Wiretaps method is good specially if the ATX can supply 0.5 amp or more of -12v that way plenty of current for both -5/-12....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The better way for an adapter is to do it like the one seller on eBay used to do. Take the ATX to AT or ATX to ATX adapter and inline the -5v injector. The circuit board ends up being tiny and it doesn't affect any of the other power lines.

The whole tiny assembly is then encased in heat-shrink tubing.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK