VOGONS

SSD not recognized on ASUS P2B 440BX

Topic actions

First post, by EpsilonP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

Running into an issue when trying to install an SSD into my new Slot 1 retro build. The motherboard is ASUS P2B 440BX. I am using a Startech SATA to IDE adapter with a 120GB SSD connected. This is a known working drive. When the machine is powered on, the devices are being enumerated and primary master is listed as SATA SSD. The boot then proceeds to AWARD SOFTWARE INC SYSTEM CONFIGURATION screen, and just hangs there. There is no option to boot from floppy or CD at any point during the process.

Things tried so far-

Flashed BIOS to most recent version from ASUS website. No change.

Changed jumper config on SATA to IDE adapter. No change.

Attempted to manually partition the drive using EaseUS Partition Master. Set two 30GB Fat32 partitions. No change.

Tried another SSD (Crucial brand - 250gb). The disk is detected, however the system only sees 7GB of available space. The system is now able to boot from Floppy or CD. I do realize the incorrect disk size issue being detected is probably due to the SSD being over 120gb in size.

The above leads me to believe that the board does not like certain SSD chips, however I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas what else to check for. The interesting thing is that I have another completed Slot 1 Build, with a 440BX Gigabyte board, using same model of Startech adapter and same model of SSD, working just fine.

Reply 3 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oops, hope he didn't give you the SCSI version... Well I've hotflashed those P2B BIOSes on socket 7 and 440LX boards before no probs, so you should have a wide range of ~96-00ish boards to choose from to flash it back to a version it likes, IIRC 1011 wasn't bad, but if there's a different version of 1014 you can confirm is for your board revision and exact config, it is the one with all the latest CPUs.

edit: oh yah, don't forget to do a CMOS clear, check it's not just invalid settings now with new BIOS.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 21, by EpsilonP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: The system seems to hang on boot now if a keyboard is plugged in. If powered on with no keyboard, boot proceeds to the error message 'no keyboard detected'. At this point the keyboard can be plugged in and works, which is strange. But..the hard drive is detected, so thanks for the file.

Reply 5 of 21, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EpsilonP wrote on 2021-09-14, 01:18:

Update: The system seems to hang on boot now if a keyboard is plugged in. If powered on with no keyboard, boot proceeds to the error message 'no keyboard detected'. At this point the keyboard can be plugged in and works, which is strange. But..the hard drive is detected, so thanks for the file.

Bad idea. PS/2 is not hot-pluggable, repeatedly plugging in the keyboard when powered on is asking for a blown fuse and dead PS/2 port.

Flash a different BIOS that doesn't require this workaround ASAP.

Reply 6 of 21, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to make sure the boot block is being flashed as well. Best way to do this is to physically flash the chip in an external programmer, but there's also a switch to do that in the command line flasher.

The BIOS posted is for the Asus P2B, specifically.

I have a P2B-S and I used this same patching tool for my BIOS and it is detecting my SSD (Intel 530) fine.

I patched everything now for you, including CPU microcodes. See if this version is any better.

1. New CPU Support           : -> fixed.
2. P3-detect error : not found.
3. New Koeffs Support :> -> fixed.
4. 32Gb-problem : not found.
5. Some HDD detect-problem : -> fixed.
6. "MB"/"GB" string search : is not needed to be fixed.
9. Error display Freq>999MHz : not found.
10.Error display Koefs>9.5x : not found.
11.New Stepping Support : -> fixed.
12.Tualatin L2-init error : not found.
13.New Freq in Setup open : not found.

Attachments

• Filename
    1014_2.zip
    File size
    151.69 KiB
    Downloads
    34 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 7 of 21, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the same issue with the bios patcher, described here: Replacing BIOS Chips

Patching the bios with bios patcher leads to the POST process hanging when detecting CPU with PS2 devices plugged in. I had to buy a TL866 to play safely with flashing.

Reply 8 of 21, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mihai wrote on 2021-09-14, 19:22:

I have the same issue with the bios patcher, described here: Replacing BIOS Chips

Patching the bios with bios patcher leads to the POST process hanging when detecting CPU with PS2 devices plugged in. I had to buy a TL866 to play safely with flashing.

I do not have this issue with my P2B-S and a fully patched BIOS.

I have also flashed two other boards (QDI and a generic BX), no issues.

I flashed it with a TL866. Maybe that's the solution.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 9 of 21, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can reproduce the issue on two 440BX boards (ECS / Lucky star), with bios patcher (both 4.x / 6.x versions), flashed with awardflash 7.xx. Hanging on CPU detection if PS2 devices are connected; reverting to stock bios - no issues.

Reply 10 of 21, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mockingbird wrote on 2021-09-14, 17:19:

I patched everything now for you, including CPU microcodes. See if this version is any better.

You have to make sure that the 8x8 ROM font isn't deleted when using that BIOS patcher utility, this affects certain DOS programs. I can tell this because I have used this program to patch a different BIOS for a Socket 7 motherboard.

Also it has a "dual-BIOS" option which executes the unpatched one in case when the keyboard doesn't respond or pressing the "-" key prior the system beep for the POST screen.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 11 of 21, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mihai wrote on 2021-09-14, 19:32:

I can reproduce the issue on two 440BX boards (ECS / Lucky star), with bios patcher (both 4.x / 6.x versions), flashed with awardflash 7.xx. Hanging on CPU detection if PS2 devices are connected; reverting to stock bios - no issues.

Send me a BIOS please, I would like to patch it myself for you to test.

Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-14, 19:34:

You have to make sure that the 8x8 ROM font isn't deleted when using that BIOS patcher utility, this affects certain DOS programs. I can tell this because I have used this program to patch a different BIOS for a Socket 7 motherboard.

Can you name an example of a program? I'd like to test that myself. Thanks

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 12 of 21, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mockingbird wrote on 2021-09-15, 04:16:

There's a Soleau Software game that uses it and it's Block-Man.

It's an old EGA game but it is the best example to test the 8x8 ROM font.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 14 of 21, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Send me a BIOS please, I would like to patch it myself for you to test.

Here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/7czzwrot9hemqk … sample.zip/file
The 440bx bios is not working with >32GB hard drives. The VIA Appolo 133 bios needs the memory patch to enable 4way interleave.

I am having 100% error rates with patched bioses from Bios Patcher. Maybe there is an errror on my setup, wrong executables (cbrom, etc), unstable betas.
All patched bioses are hanging on all my mobos (various 440bx / via apollo 133 boards), even if I skip patches such as CPU support/ new coefficients, etc.

Gmlb256 gave some great advice, if I had it before maybe I would not have destroyed several bioses 😀

If you flashed a patched bios (with Bios Patcher) and the new bios is not working with your system, then keep pressing "-" (the minus key) during boot. The system will boot using the original bios, ignoring the patches.

This is why the system is working / booting when the PS2 keyboard is removed. Alternatively, one may enable USB keyboard support in the bios and hotplug an USB keyboard after the POST.

Reply 15 of 21, by EpsilonP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2021-09-14, 17:19:
You need to make sure the boot block is being flashed as well. Best way to do this is to physically flash the chip in an extern […]
Show full quote

You need to make sure the boot block is being flashed as well. Best way to do this is to physically flash the chip in an external programmer, but there's also a switch to do that in the command line flasher.

The BIOS posted is for the Asus P2B, specifically.

I have a P2B-S and I used this same patching tool for my BIOS and it is detecting my SSD (Intel 530) fine.

1. New CPU Support           : -> fixed.
2. P3-detect error : not found.
3. New Koeffs Support :> -> fixed.
4. 32Gb-problem : not found.
5. Some HDD detect-problem : -> fixed.
6. "MB"/"GB" string search : is not needed to be fixed.
9. Error display Freq>999MHz : not found.
10.Error display Koefs>9.5x : not found.
11.New Stepping Support : -> fixed.
12.Tualatin L2-init error : not found.
13.New Freq in Setup open : not found.

Hello, I have flashed the bios version from the above quote. Now the system will boot with a PS2 keyboard plugged in, however it hangs if both a PS2 keyboard and mouse are plugged in at the same time.

Reply 16 of 21, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EpsilonP wrote on 2021-11-21, 23:24:

Hello, I have flashed the bios version from the above quote. Now the system will boot with a PS2 keyboard plugged in, however it hangs if both a PS2 keyboard and mouse are plugged in at the same time.

This board is still a WIP for me... I absolutely do not have that problem at all with this BIOS, but I am expecting a new clockgen chip because the system is completely unstable at 133Mhz FSB with the possibly counterfeit one I soldered in.

For SSD, I'm using a re-capped (important!) Ultra133 TX2 + Marvell Sata to IDE combo. This combination is stable and fast.

I will post my progress (no promises!) once I get further with this project.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 17 of 21, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-15, 04:25:

I just discovered yesterday that using BP with the /g switch disables the removal of CGA 8x8 (run with "/?" to see all switches). "/s" is also a worthwhile switch to use as it makes the mod permanent rather than an add-on module (should solve the problem on my Biostar M7VKD where the patched BIOS sometimes did not load but the original one did at random).

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 18 of 21, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mockingbird wrote on 2022-07-03, 16:28:
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-15, 04:25:

I just discovered yesterday that using BP with the /g switch disables the removal of CGA 8x8 (run with "/?" to see all switches). "/s" is also a worthwhile switch to use as it makes the mod permanent rather than an add-on module (should solve the problem on my Biostar M7VKD where the patched BIOS sometimes did not load but the original one did at random).

I recently found other examples involving this situation with MapEdit for Wolf3D (the OP on that thread was misled) and the first StarMines game by Jari Karjala. The "/g" command line switch helps but it won't solve entirely the problem around the CGA 8x8 ROM font. It should suffice in most cases though.

The other command line switch ("/s") must only be used when the patched BIOS is working correctly without any problem.

Reply 19 of 21, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-07-03, 16:54:

I recently found other examples involving this situation with MapEdit for Wolf3D (the OP on that thread was misled) and the first StarMines game by Jari Karjala. The "/g" command line switch helps but it won't solve entirely the problem around the CGA 8x8 ROM font. It should suffice in most cases though.

Please elaborate... Is that related to BP or generally with hardware compatibility?

BP's switch description lists "/g" as having the following effect:

"skip delete BIOS CGA-font 8x8 (increase size of modul.tmp)".

So are you saying that it is still in fact modifying the module in some way that interferes with 8x8 support?

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png