VOGONS

First post, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently set up MapEdit 8.4 on my AMD Athlon retro rig to do Wolf3D level editing in DOS, but I have been stymied by the fact that the 8x8 text mode font on my video card's BIOS appears to be broken! My card is an nVidia GeForce FX 5900, and MapEdit 8.4 looks like this:

SNARF000.png
Filename
SNARF000.png
File size
20.49 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The OS used is IBM PC-DOS 7.0. MapEdit 8.4's "graphics" use the 8x8 text mode system font. I checked CHCP and it reported code page 437, so my locale appears to be correct.

Here is the same program, viewing the same level, in DOSBox on my AMD Ryzen machine:

mapedit_003.png
Filename
mapedit_003.png
File size
27.66 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

(ignore the lack of dots filling the black areas, that's an option in the program to show/hide floor codes)

Is this a known issue with GeForce 5/FX cards? Is there a way to override my VBIOS 8x8 font with another one?

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D

Reply 1 of 18, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried running it on the same system with a different graphics card, or the same card with a different DOS, to be 100% sure it is definitely the card at fault?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 18, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have not yet tried it with a different card. I have a Matrox MGA 2064W available and may try it tomorrow. I have also tried MapEdit in MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows XP NTVDM and the graphical glitches appear in both. Also from looking at the actual ROM 8x8 font, MapEdit uses its own font, though it appears to be an 8x8 ASCII text mode font (the tiles themselves are ASCII characters, read from text files called OBJDATA and MAPDATA). MapEdit itself is a fullscreen graphical program--it has a graphical mouse pointer and Windows XP will not display it in a window.

1wpfky-2.png REDBOX

Reply 3 of 18, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems strange that the errors in the text panels are only the non alphabetic characters.

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 18, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you look at the map itself, some characters are outright different glyphs, like the centered yellow dots that represent flags in the DOSBox image are the character ƒ in the screenshot taken from the Athlon.

1wpfky-2.png REDBOX

Reply 5 of 18, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would have thought the map editor would be using its own characters, not the card's. I'm no gamer though, so hopefully someone will have more ideas.

Reply 7 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

8x8 ROM font can also be read from the motherboard BIOS and it's located at F000:FA6E. In that case, did you use the BIOS Patcher utility from rom.by? It can mess with the 8x8 ROM font if one is not careful.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 9 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Woolie Wool wrote on 2021-10-29, 23:11:

Yes, I did, to accommodate the 1733 MHz Thoroughbred processor.

There is a command line switch which is /g to prevent the removal of the 8x8 ROM font but it's not perfect. That means that the original BIOS should be patched once again.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 10 of 18, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-10-29, 23:16:
Woolie Wool wrote on 2021-10-29, 23:11:

Yes, I did, to accommodate the 1733 MHz Thoroughbred processor.

There is a command line switch which is /g to prevent the removal of the 8x8 ROM font but it's not perfect. That means that the original BIOS should be patched once again.

If this is the problem it's a pretty big one since I patched the BIOS to accommodate the Thoroughbred processor, and if I have to take that out I might as well not even bother trying to fix it.

1wpfky-2.png REDBOX

Reply 11 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks more like a Borland EGAVGA.BGI problem to me. This is not text mode nor is it the actual BIOS font (Borland provides their own).

Tried other games that use the same libraries in the same mode i.e. Stellar Conquest III?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2021-10-31, 10:57:

Looks more like a Borland EGAVGA.BGI problem to me. This is not text mode nor is it the actual BIOS font (Borland provides their own).

Tried other games that use the same libraries in the same mode i.e. Stellar Conquest III?

One game that could be tested is Block-Man by Soleau Software and will display the same symptoms as the MapEdit screenshot. Replacing the video card won't fix this.

The BIOS Patcher has also a virtual "dual BIOS", which allows one to temporarily switch back to the unpatched one by pressing the "-" key prior the POST screen appearing.

Reply 14 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retardware wrote on 2021-10-31, 15:25:

Just out of curiosity, aren't there any TSRs that can be used to upload fonts missing in the ROM also for the 8x8 font?

I haven't found any that can handle the 8x8 font AFAIK. The ones available are for the 8x14 font which certain later video cards remove them to gain space for the VESA implementation.

Reply 15 of 18, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2021-10-31, 10:57:

Confirmed Stellar Conquest III has the same garbage font problem.

Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-10-31, 15:02:

The BIOS Patcher has also a virtual "dual BIOS", which allows one to temporarily switch back to the unpatched one by pressing the "-" key prior the POST screen appearing.

I tried this but nothing seemed to happen. Does it show any visual confirmation? Do you have to tap the key within a certain window of time or hold it while rebooting, or what?

1wpfky-2.png REDBOX

Reply 16 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Woolie Wool wrote on 2021-11-06, 02:34:

I tried this but nothing seemed to happen. Does it show any visual confirmation?

The only visual confirmation in your case would be that the AMD Athlon CPU won't be properly recognized during POST.

Do you have to tap the key within a certain window of time or hold it while rebooting, or what?

It's within a certain window of time, but try pressing repeatedly the key just after turning on the computer or a cold boot.

Here's an excerpt related to this feature from ABOUT_BP.TXT file that comes with the BIOS Patcher 4.23.

HOW SAFE IS IT? […]
Show full quote

HOW SAFE IS IT?

Patcher has several features against failures.

1. Virtual "DUAL-BIOS"

Because of keeping changes in one file patcher can load both BIOSes - original
and fixed. This Roll Back starts if you'll press "-" on keyboard during BOOT.
Module of changes reads pressed key and in case of minus simply skips fixed
BIOS and loads old BIOS.

2. Roll Back without keyboard.

Unfortunately, there is no universal initialization of keyboard controller for
all motherboards, that is why sometimes doesn't work read of pressed key. In
this case BIOS uses absence of keyboard. If module of changes can't get signal
from keyboard (DIN or PS/2) it should load old BIOS. Afterwards you can
connect keyboard and flash your old BIOS. But I think that you shouldn't use
this case.

As I count minimal reliabity of patcher is about 95%. IMHO this figure shows
reliability and a question about reliability solved (for people who has little
practise in flashing BIOSes).

Reply 17 of 18, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Neither method works; the patched BIOS loads even with the keyboard disconnected (and at any rate, plugging a PS/2 keyboard into a powered-on system is AFAIK a big, big no-no that can damage your keyboard controller and keyboard).

However, now I'm interested in the Borland EGAVGA.BGI thing because I'm wondering if anyone else knows of problems with it and its character set.

1wpfky-2.png REDBOX

Reply 18 of 18, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Woolie Wool wrote on 2021-11-06, 21:44:

Neither method works; the patched BIOS loads even with the keyboard disconnected (and at any rate, plugging a PS/2 keyboard into a powered-on system is AFAIK a big, big no-no that can damage your keyboard controller and keyboard).

However, now I'm interested in the Borland EGAVGA.BGI thing because I'm wondering if anyone else knows of problems with it and its character set.

Seems that /s command line switch from the BIOS Patcher was used which removes that feature. Before moving on with EGAVGA.BGI (never really got problem with this though), could you patch the original BIOS again with the /g command line and perform a reflash?

For example:

BP-4_23.EXE BIOS.BIN /g

This command line switch also works with later versions.