VOGONS

First post, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The aim of this project was to find out how well Pentium III processors overclock.
I needed to select some Tualatin CPUs that overclock at least to 166 MHz.
Also, I wanted to find out if there are any Coppermine CPUs that would be able to reach 200 MHz and more.

Motivation: There is one project that I am still working on (ECS P6S5AT and 166 FSB) and I had to find as many solid and stable components (CPUs, RAM) as possible to see how they perform on that motherboard. Ultimately, I wanted to build a computer with Tualatin CPU clocked at 1750 MHz with 166 MHz, DDR1 RAM and a fast and solid AGP card (Geforce 6800Ultra) with the proper AGP/PCI divider at 166 FSB.

My experience with overclocking has not been very good so far. I would say I’m a poor overclocker since I do not use any extreme cooling and I don’t even own an electric meter 😁 But I wanted to try 😉 Previously, I had no desire to overclock before I found out that there is one socket 370 motherboard with SiS635T that has the right dividers for AGP and PCI at 166 and 200 MHz. Other than this, I don’t see a point to overclock at all besides just checking how far a given component can go. That is why I wouldn’t built a system on any other motherboard that has overclocked AGP and PCI.

Ok. Enough of that boring introdcution, let’s get to the point 😉

First of all, what is a stable overclock? For me it's when I enter windows, do all the tests (3D Mark2001SE, Everest Memorytest) stress the whole thing for 30 minutes under full load, and get no errors in MemTest86. Additionally, I also check what is the maximum FSB for the CPU to post.
For the purpose of testing I used two motherboards: ASUS TUSL2C and ABIT ST6. Personally, I think that ST6 is much better for OC. TUSL2-C allows for synchronous OC only up to 166 MHz, while ST6 has synchronous OC options up to 250 if I remember correctly.
There were two graphics cards used: GeForce 5200 AGP and GeForce 6200 AGP
Cooling was simply air, regular fan but with copper heat sink.
Volatges in most cases were set to 1,85v max(Coppermines) and 1,7,5v (Tualatins)
The key part to achieve high frequencies is of course fast, solid and stable SDR PC133 RAM - but I am gonna devote a separate topic for this 😉

Here is the group photo of the tested CPUs:
f211.jpg

The comparison results:

2bftabelkaall.jpg

celeronyupdate.jpg

As you can see the best Coppermines for overclockig are cD0 ones.
Let’s disscuss the most interesting ones:

PENTIUM III - COPPERMINE CORE!

PIII Coppermine 850 MHz - SL4Z2 (cD0)

SL4Z22.jpg

This one didn’t overclocked as I planned. The best one gives me 136 FPS but that's enough to go from 850 MHz (100 MHz) to 1133 MHz (133 FSB). It makes a good option for old BX boards that do not support Tualatins.

850beznakejki136.jpg

PIII Copperine-T 1000 MHZ - SL5QJ (cD0)

SL5QJ.jpg

One of the best out of the 1 GHz family. This is not a regular Coppermine but a CoppermineT. The maxium stable FSB was 178 MHz! That gave me CPU CLOCK = 1335MHz! Pretty close to 1,4 GHz 😉 Other cD0 from that family were also good:

178.jpg

SL5B3 – 170 MHz
SL5FQ – 172 MHz
https://u.cubeupload.com/roksana/166FSBSL5FQiSL5B3.jpg

All three of them exceeded 166 MHz so I am satisfied 😉
The one I do not recommend from the 1 GHz family is SL52R, which i my case overclocked to 165 only.
Please also notice that PIII Coppermine SL4C8 (cC0) is not a good overclocker (158 FSB MAX)

PIII Coppermine 733 MHz - SL4ZL (cD0)

SL4ZL.jpg

Now this is the one that surprised me the most 😁

The first CPU that I got running at 200 MHz was SL52p (PIII 800 cD0). I was happy to reach that level, but I wanted more 😉 So I bought one with the same stepping but a lower multiplier (5,5x) hoping to get a little bit more than 200 MHz. What I got was a total shock 😁 235 MHz Eventually!!! At first it was 233MHz, but That then I swiched to a different ABIT ST6 board and the result improved. The CPU voltage was only 1,85v! That is 75% OC!!!

235.jpg
2333RAMTEST.jpg

At the default voltage it can stably operate at 220 MHz 😉

CELERON - COPPERMINE CORE!

The whole CELERON COPPERMINE family disappointed me a lot. Maybe I just wasn't lucky and haven’t come up with the right batch, but out of 10 different CPUs of that type only 3 exceeded 150 MHz ;( none of them reached even close to 166 MHz. Perhaps someone can suggest which S-Spec is the best? SL54P (Celeron 800 MHz, D0) was the best one so far with 152 MHz stable FSB.

CELERON - TUALATIN CORE

I was much luckier with Tualatin Celerons but it required some skills to achieve my goal 😜 At first ,the results were far from satisfactory.... The best of celerons: 1300 and 1400 MHz were really, really bad(130 wasn't possible) even with the newer B1 stepping. Initially,the best result I got was 156 FSB on some regular Celeron 1100 MHz, but that was A1 stepping. I knew I had to find B1 with as small multiplier as possible, so I finally came across a SL6CB (those B1 seems much less common nowadays)

Celeron Tualatin 1000 MHZ - SL6CB (B1)

SL6CB.jpg

At last I have found a Celeron Tualatin that works properly at 166 FSB and even much more 😉
The 1750-1800 MHz seems like the regular limit for the Tualatin core. To get 1800 MHz and more you need professional cooling and volt-mods.

175.jpg

Celeron1750175FSB.jpg

PENTIUM III - TUALATIN CORE

From the whole PIII Tualatin Core family I only used the 1400 MHz ones for the most of my life. There was no purpose for me to own anything slower than 1,4 MHz until I started overclocking.

PIII Tualatin 1400 MHZ - SL6BY (tB1)

SL6BYMALAY.jpg

In the begging I had like 7 pieces of a PIII 1,4 GHz CPUs (3 x SL5XL, 2x SL657 2x SL6BY). NON of them overclocked as I wanted to. The best of them all stopped at 165! 1 MHz from the point where I wanted and needed to be 😜 finally I decided to buy 5 more of those SL6BY for a ridiculously stupid price... and 3 of them exceeded 166 MHz 😉

Now the best one works at 171 MHz!
1712001Ti4600.jpg

When it comes to other cpus from that family I was hoping to get close to 200 MHz with SL6BW, but I think I got a bad batch – the final result was only 184 MHz,
sl6bw184.jpg

Even the faster one (SL6BX) got a higher FSB:
b6ScjZF

That's it. I hope you annoyed it and had some fun.
I know there are more experienced Overclockers here so please share your results if you can.
I am also aware of the fact that most some of those scores would be definitely beaten in good hands and with proper cooling, but those results are enough for me, I have reached my goals.
I’ve got some fast 1 GHz copper mines that overclock easily to 166, some slower ones that go to 200 MHz, and the crazy one that reaches 235 MHz! But most importantly I have finally found the right batch of PIII-S 1,4GHz (SL6BY) that works flawlessly at 166 MHz with a relative small voltage increment (1,525v). So I can finally finish my “TualGOD” project 😁

Attachments

• Pentiums.jpg
    Filename
    Pentiums.jpg
    File size
    360.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Celerons.jpg
    Filename
    Celerons.jpg
    File size
    175.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 1 of 30, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ecs P6s5at seems to be a decent oc platform. I recommend Abit ST6 Raid as well, watercooling setup as well as delid that nasty tualatin heatsink and remove thermal glue. I personally use cusl2-c bp with pentium III 1.2Ghz 512kB cache not for oc, but stable purist gaming. (GeFore 2 Ti rulez!) Motherboard I use allow oc, but not as fast sl6by maxed out. Lots of p3 cpu you got in here looks like tualamaxim project going on. Also I'd recap the motherboard for stable voltage management and use cpu heatsink on sis chipset ecs motherboard you use.
Godlike

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 3 of 30, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, getting an SL4ZLM would be cool - same cD0 stepping, but lower multiplier, so might go even higher FSB 😁

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 4 of 30, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh wait, 600E and 650 was also made in cD0. SL5BR and SL5BU respectively.

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 5 of 30, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Godlike wrote on 2021-09-21, 21:26:

Ecs P6s5at seems to be a decent oc platform. I recommend Abit ST6 Raid as well, watercooling setup as well as delid that nasty tualatin heatsink and remove thermal glue. I personally use cusl2-c bp with pentium III 1.2Ghz 512kB cache not for oc, but stable purist gaming. (GeFore 2 Ti rulez!) Motherboard I use allow oc, but not as fast sl6by maxed out. Lots of p3 cpu you got in here looks like tualamaxim project going on. Also I'd recap the motherboard for stable voltage management and use cpu heatsink on sis chipset ecs motherboard you use.
Godlike

ECS P6S5AT is a nice board for ALREADY OVERCLOCKED CPUs - only when you know that your CPU is able to overclock. For checking the OC potential of a given CPU, beforce testing it on other platform, is very poor 😜 No OC options in BIOS... No voltage increase... and the only option you can have is 143, 150 and 166 MHz once you use appropriate software 😉

I have recapped one batch of my ABIT ST6 boards but that didn't help with something that happened unexpectedly... I forgot to mention, that after reaching more than 210 MHz, my PS2 port got damaged in a way... I no longer can use it - it beeps everytime I press my keyboard. Here is a video of how it behaves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2s1QfcUfyA

Sometimes it beeps all the time, even when the keyboard is not plugged in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekPXou665OE

I have damaged 3 differnet ABIT ST6 boards this way so PLEASE BE CAREFULL when you overclock 😉

H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-09-22, 08:33:

You've mentioned CPUs that operate at the 100 MHz BUS...

In my opinion those are the best options to look for:
1 800 MHz (SL52P) 133 x6
2 733 MHz (SL4ZL) 133 x5,5
3 667 MHz (SL5B6) 133 x5
4 600 MHz (SL5BR) 133 x4,5

They are all CD0s and use the 133 MHz bus.

I tried the fist two and they overclock up to 200 MHz and 235 respectivelly. Of course there some batches will be better ,some will be worse... you just have to be lucky 😉 I tried 2 different batches of SL52P, the second one went up to 181 MHz maximum...

I wonder if those with 5 and 4,5 multiplier even exist, I can't find pictures of any of those....

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 7 of 30, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2021-09-22, 14:36:

Nice project !
One question... is there a reason why you did not overvolt Coppermines beyond 1.85v ?

Thanks 😉 Yes, the answer is simple - my motherboards limited me 😁 There was no such option to go beyond that, and I did not want to make any mods... Besides, even if it was possible to go higher I would be afraid to fry something...

For now, this project is almost done. There are only several things that I want to improve:

1) Find a Tualatin CPU that overclocks beyond 200 MHz 😀
2) Find a PIII-S 1,4 GHz that overclocks obove 166 MHz at the default voltage 😜
3) Reach 250 MHz with the Coppermine CPU 😁

ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 8 of 30, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great info. Thanks.

One comment.
Memtest is misleading, almost useless in my experience.
3dmark alone is also insufficient to ensure system stability.

Still, great investigation there.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 9 of 30, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice survey, thanks! It's getting harder to find old overclocking info. I remember several sites trying to run user o/c databases, but trolls would spam them out with 486 @ 2000mhz etc. Not sure archive.org managed to save any of them either, they were backend scripted, perl etc. You can sorta find some stuff on HWBot, but it's a huge pain in the ass to navigate in that way, easier to run google site: searches against it.

I am quite happy to see it limited to 1.85V whether it was intentional or not. Many motherboards have similar lack of vcore range, and I don't like slamming it way up there, you tend to have failures/maintenance every few months. It's like "street" vs "race" performance, carheads might say, why don't you use racing oil, racing components instead of the crappy bolt ons that limit potential, it's because race cars have the engine rebuilt after every race. It's the old thing, quick/cheap/reliable, pick 2 outa three, I'm happy with sorta quick, sorta cheap and mostly reliable.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 30, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VooDooMan wrote on 2021-09-22, 13:25:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-09-22, 08:33:

You've mentioned CPUs that operate at the 100 MHz BUS...

I did, yes, as I was thinking the wrong way around 🤣 I was thinking they'd have a lower multiplier, but off course it's the other way around .. My bad! 😀

Reply 12 of 30, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've not checked all your math, but for the SL446, I make 5 x 170 = 850, not 950 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 14 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dj_pirtu wrote on 2021-12-10, 05:45:

What really surprised me is that Tualatin Celeron is so much slower than Pentium3 Tualatin. Only difference is bus and half the cache but it's so much slower...

The Tualatin Pentium III CPUs also have a data prefetch logic that the Tualatin Celerons don't have.

Reply 15 of 30, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-12-10, 06:07:

What really surprised me is that Tualatin Celeron is so much slower than Pentium3 Tualatin. Only difference is bus and half the cache but it's so much slower...

The Tualatin Pentium III CPUs also have a data prefetch logic that the Tualatin Celerons don't have.

...but I heard that prefetch logic missing on Celeron is just a rumour, that tualatin CPUs are all the same except cache and bus speed.

http://brassicgamer.blogspot.com/2020/10/the- … i-tualatin.html

"Despite Xsome sources saying otherwiseX, Data Prefetch Logic was included with all models as it was an integral feature of the Tualatin design."

Reply 16 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dj_pirtu wrote on 2021-12-10, 07:06:
...but I heard that prefetch logic missing on Celeron is just a rumour, that tualatin CPUs are all the same except cache and bus […]
Show full quote
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-12-10, 06:07:

...but I heard that prefetch logic missing on Celeron is just a rumour, that tualatin CPUs are all the same except cache and bus speed.

http://brassicgamer.blogspot.com/2020/10/the- … i-tualatin.html

"Despite Xsome sources saying otherwiseX, Data Prefetch Logic was included with all models as it was an integral feature of the Tualatin design."

Hey, thanks for that!👍 I never heard about this before. I quickly read through the source cited in the link and apparently it's true. Curious because benchmarks I have seen seemed to align with the idea of Tualerons not having the same prefetch logic.🤔

Edit: Further investigation reveals that the datasheet of the Tualatin-S mentions Data Prefetch Logic (here on the 9th page of the pdf, page 1 after table of contents) while the corresponding datasheet of the Celeron does not. (source)
If the Tualatin microarchitecture requires Data Prefetch Logic but benchmarks suggest it is not avaliable on "Tualreon" CPUs and there is no mention of it in the datasheet, does that mean the "Tualeron" Celerons are actually based off Coppermine - not Tualatin! - and are basically Coppermine cores on 0.13µm process with 100MHz FSB and increased clocks?

Edit2: Despite the Intel Support response's claim here on the Celeron's home page under "Product Highlights" (source) Data Prefetch Logic is not mentioned. (While it is in the Pentium III's. source)
Imho this invalidates the claim made in that support response and further supports the thesis that the "Tualeron" CPUs - despite being made on the same process as the Tualatin PIIIs - do not use Tualatin microarchitecture or its features including Data Prefetch Logic. IF this holds true the "Tualeron" Celerons are not part of the Tualatin family. Have they ever been advertised as such by Intel anyway? Or is this just a misunderstanding coming from the community?

Edit3: Fixed links.

Last edited by Doornkaat on 2021-12-10, 09:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 30, by LubieCipy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does tualatin P3 with 256 cache have Data Prefetch Logic like Tualatin-S?

It is doubtful that the tualatin celerons would be coppermine based as they do not have Data Prefetch Logic. They just must be missing something in relation to Tualatin because they are Celerons 😀

if I remember correctly cache latency for tualatin celeron is 1 and for tualatin is 0. Celerons do not support SMP either

Reply 18 of 30, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LubieCipy wrote on 2021-12-10, 08:59:

Does tualatin P3 with 256 cache have Data Prefetch Logic like Tualatin-S?

Yes, they do. (source)

It is doubtful that the tualatin celerons would be coppermine based as they do not have Data Prefetch Logic.

Coppermine Pentium IIIs don't have Data Prefetch Logic. No official Intel documentation that I know of hints to the "Tualeron" Celerons having Data Prefetch Logic. Since Data Prefetch Logic appears to be an integral part of the Tualatin microarchitecture it can't just be disabled on some Tualatin based cores. If that's true a CPU not featuring Data Prefetch Logic can't be Tualatin microarchitecture.
Do you happen to know of any official documentation indicating Data Prefetch Logic on "Tualeron" CPUs? This is basically what my whole post is about.

They just must be missing something in relation to Tualatin because they are Celerons 😀

Which may be (among other things) Data Prefetch Logic. 😉

Reply 19 of 30, by LubieCipy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for documentation 😀 I will check more information on this

There is a simpler explanation. Maybe Data Prefetch Logic is a feature of Pentium 3 tualatin only