VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This motherboard has a single IDE port and is able to recognize and boot to DOS. The problem I'm having is that while it can boot a disc, loaders which defer reading from the disk later after loading a driver like oakcdrom.sys fail because these drivers don't recognize an attached CD drive. This includes Windows 98 and ME setup.

I am booting to a SATA drive with DOS installed to test different CD device drivers but have been unable to find one that works.

I tried:

oakcdrom.sys
vide-cdd.sys
eltorito.sys

Does anyone know of a device driver that works with whatever this IDE controller is?

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which exact Gigabyte board ? Some use "mixed chipset+additional controller chip",
As example the GA-P35-DS4 uses Intel P35 chipset for SATA but the single IDE port (and two more SATA) is off "GIGABYTE SATA2" chip which is a JMicron RAID controller chip.
GCDROM.SYS works with some of the JMicron, Intel and Nvidia SATA-IDE chips

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-09-27, 23:12:

Which exact Gigabyte board ? Some use "mixed chipset+additional controller chip",
As example the GA-P35-DS4 uses Intel P35 chipset for SATA but the single IDE port (and two more SATA) is off "GIGABYTE SATA2" chip which is a JMicron RAID controller chip.

The p35 and other northbridge chipsets don't have any sata controllers. Thats usually relegated to the southbridge chipset. In this instance the intel ich7 possesses the intel ultra ATA ide controller and sata controller. Which i recall should work with any regular cdrom or ide device drivers unless you are using an sata device.

Reply 4 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Excuse me for not explaining in more detail. Yes the P35 is the Northbridge, it is matched with the ICH9 or ICH9R Southbridge and together is typically considered the "P35 Chipset".
Neither the ICH8 or ICH9 support IDE or Floppy, only SATA. So on some boards a separate chip or chips are used for Floppy and IDE if the board comes with them...
That is why I asked what exact board is it... 🤣

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-09-28, 00:52:

It's a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P. It even have a floppy connector.

Thanks ! Yes it has a JMicron chip for the IDE and 2 SATA (GSATAii0 and GSATAii1), chip is labeled as "GigaByte SATA2" on the board. Here is the Headers from the Vista, Win2k, XP driver from Giga for GIGABYTE SATA2:
"Copyright 2005, JMicron Technology Corp." and "GIGABYTE GBB36X Controller" so should be a JMicron 363 or 368 based.
Try the GCDROM.SYS, the old website states: GCDROM.SYS supports all SATA Native IDE controller, such as Intel ICH6/ICH7/ICH8, Jmicron 363/368, NVidia CK804/MCP55/MCP51 etc."
More info: http://web.archive.org/web/20150407043219/htt … base/gcdrom.htm
It cannot hurt to try it.

retardware wrote on 2021-09-28, 01:08:

Try this driver from this download page.
It works just well when the normal PATA cdrom drivers don't find a drive 😀

Wow you beat me by mere seconds ;p

Attachments

Reply 8 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, looking at the block diagram in the user manual on page 8, the floppy port is coming off the IT8718 controller and the IDE is coming off the Gigabyte SATA2 controller. Depending on SATA port number that corresponds to, you may need a driver that supports past at least 6 ports. My guess is that the 2 SATA ports on the Gigabyte controller are 7 and 8 and the IDE would be port 9.

You may want to try setting the Gigabyte SATA/IDE controller to IDE in the BIOS. Not sure if that will help or not.

Also try setting the drive jumper to Master, Slave, and Cable Select. Sometimes a drive will only be detected if a certain setting is used.

And also try a regular 40-wire and an 80-wire IDE cable.

I'm not even sure any DOS driver will see that controller at all. They may only see the chipset ports.

Hopefully the GCDROM.SYS above works.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 9, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-09-28, 01:09:

Wow you beat me by mere seconds ;p

😁

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-09-28, 01:15:

Depending on SATA port number that corresponds to, you may need a driver that supports past at least 6 ports. My guess is that the 2 SATA ports on the Gigabyte controller are 7 and 8 and the IDE would be port 9.

You may want to try setting the Gigabyte SATA/IDE controller to IDE in the BIOS. Not sure if that will help or not.

I tried that driver on the DFI HD620-H81.
This board has 4 SATA ports, numbered in the BIOS as SATA 1+2 and 5+6.
When I tried the driver first, the drive was on port 5, didn't recognize the drive.
After re-plugging to port 2, it went smoothly.

BTW, it is not even a SATA drive 😀 It is an IDE drive, with the Sunplus Startech SATA-IDE converter.
This is necessary as I have quite some DOS games with audio on CD, and SATA drives don't have audio ports 🙁
And yes, I had to set IDE instead of AHCI mode in BIOS.