VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have this card, and on my other builds it’s been a godsend. It just speeds up the system and helps with booting issues all sorts of stuff, truly amazing card!

But my latest build, well, it’s giving me issues

This is a ali aladin V super socket 7 mobo ga-5aa

Normally when you hook up a sata drive to the promise card and put in a bootable cd the card takes over and automatically detects and boots the cd no intervention needed

But on this build it is detecting the drive, (tried multiple drives) it is detecting that the cd is bootable (tried multiple bootable cds) but at first it was hit and miss, now it won’t boot them at all.

I get to a part of the boot where it says something about checking bootable scsi and says ok, then goes to the next line and just sits there, normally that line is where like , setup loading, or whatever from the bootable cd would be but nothing..

I can get it to reliably boot the cd though if I unplug the hard drives from the tx4

What’s up with this?

Is there a firmware update for these cards? A setup I can enter to maybe change a setting? Not sure what’s up with this thing?

To make it even weirder, the hard drives worked fine on this card on the last mobo in this case.

Basically the one thing that has changed is the mobo. So I’m thinking the mobo has something to do with it, but what, I can’t say??

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried a different PCI slot? It sounds like a resource conflict to me, so I'd also disable all unused hardware that you can in the CMOS settings, including the IDE port that you aren't using.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had mixed results with that exact card on non-intel chipsets. it gets better with newer chipsets, (P3/P4) regardless of the manufacturer.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-11-06, 23:09:

Have you tried a different PCI slot? It sounds like a resource conflict to me, so I'd also disable all unused hardware that you can in the CMOS settings, including the IDE port that you aren't using.

i have disabled all unused items.

Should I go through and manually asign irqs?

It’s been about 15 years since I last did that, any tips?

luckybob wrote on 2021-11-06, 23:16:

I've had mixed results with that exact card on non-intel chipsets. it gets better with newer chipsets, (P3/P4) regardless of the manufacturer.

430hx/tx worked fine so what you say tracks..

Have you discovered any tricks to making it work in your experiments?

Little bit of an update

None of the boot options that you can select in bios ide0, ide1, ide2, ide3, scsi, floppy, cd rom, ls120, etc seem to be what triggers the card. It’s the “try other bootable devices” yes/no that seems to be pointing at the card.

I can get the hard drive to boot if it’s plugged in (did a image from another conputer)

I can get the cd to boot if it’s the only device plugged into the card.

But never able to boot a cd if a hard drive is plugged in. But for a while it did, which is the odd part but not anymore.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My solution was to have a 2nd card. (and 3rd) #2 is based on the SIL3112 chipset. #3 I haven't used in a decade, a Promise based ATA-66 card and a matching ide/sata adapter.

Reply 5 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2021-11-07, 22:33:

My solution was to have a 2nd card. (and 3rd) #2 is based on the SIL3112 chipset. #3 I haven't used in a decade, a Promise based ATA-66 card and a matching ide/sata adapter.

I’m always needing more pci slots in my builds it seems 🤣.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 6 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-11-07, 23:36:

I'm only using 1 card at a time. silly.

That said, if I'm having a difficult choice between sata and usb 2.0, I toss in this card: https://www.newegg.com/siig-model-sc-unso12-p … 82E16815150027R The firewire has yet to be used, but I think its fun.

Reply 7 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2021-11-08, 00:52:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-11-07, 23:36:

I'm only using 1 card at a time. silly.

That said, if I'm having a difficult choice between sata and usb 2.0, I toss in this card: https://www.newegg.com/siig-model-sc-unso12-p … 82E16815150027R The firewire has yet to be used, but I think its fun.

That card is cool. i have the smaller version of it with all the via chips on it. Mine is glitchy as hell though, (common problem with them)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 8 of 8, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I prefer the SIL chips as well. Works fine once the right firmware is flashed. I've heard good things about promise controllers, but my general experience has been it either works great or it doesn't or is buggy and the drivers are hit or miss.

Firewire is a lot better than USB on older hardware, as far as CPU usage is involved. Its even better than IDE in that regard at least when i tested playing a DVD on a internal ide vs firewire dvd drive and the firewire had measurably less cpu usage.

Personally I'm not a fan of USB, it has its uses though. For transfering files I much rather use cat 5e. That goes for using printers as well, PCL over TCPIP is superior. Unfortunatly the best scanners are USB and thumbdrives can still be a thing so I cant completely get rid of usb.