VOGONS

First post, by Iarsin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I recently received a Medion MT4 Computer with an Intel SR440BX Mainboard which is unfortunately only able to control one Floppy drive a:
I'm now curious, if there is any 16bit ISA-Controller with a floppy-BIOS that is configurabe after the POST of the Mainboard BIOS?

I found Sergeys AT FDC Card, but I'm not sure if that fit on the 16bit ISA-Slot and can be used for such purpose on my SR440BX.

Also I heard and read some rumours, that some SCSI-Controller with an FDC came with such a configurable Floppy-BIOS, not only SCSI-BIOS, like the Adaptec AHA-1542CF.

Reply 2 of 9, by Iarsin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read, you wrote that driver. I'm a bit confused, due to discussions in the german dosreloaded forum on this topic.
So, only if I'm able to disable the onboard-controller on my SR440BX board in the up-to-date P10 BIOS, I can make use of the FDC-BIOS in the adaptec AHA-1542CF? Or is it also possible to use the NEC driven controller of that board for let's say the a: drive and the Adaptec FDC for the B: and say D: drive? I recently saw software that supports up to 4 floppy drives. Will the adaptec support 4 drives itself?

Is this driver similar or compareable to a BIOS-Extension in it's sort of functionallity like a DDO diskmanager BIOS-Extension for int 13? I mean regarding the time of access? So can one boot from such a adaptec connected FDD?

Reply 3 of 9, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, the adaptec drive will not support 4 drives. If you disable your onboard controller, Adaptec card can natively (without any drivers) support two floppy drives and they will be bootable. If the onboard controller is enabled you can configure the Adaptec card to use alternative floppy port address(370) and add two floppy drives. But you'll need the driver mentioned in that thread for that.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 5 of 9, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Iarsin wrote on 2021-12-02, 13:27:

Thank you for your kind support, and of course for writing such drivers! I'll then buy such a card.

It was actually maxtherabbit, who wrote the driver 😀
BTW if all you need is two FDDs you don't need an Adaptec card. A plain inexpensive FDD controller, like Goldstar Prime, would do.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 6 of 9, by Iarsin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I don't think so? Because the mobo BIOS only supports the configuration and connection of a single floppy drive? But maybe it'll work nevertheless with that mentioned driver? Sorry, still a bit confused ...

Reply 8 of 9, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can completely disable the onboard floppy controller, you could then add any 8-bit floppy controller to the ISA slot. There is no such thing as a 16-bit floppy controller, the 16-bit cards you see that contain floppy interfaces are only 16-bit because they also contain IDE interfaces.

If you were to add a generic/basic/ whatever 2 drive FDC to your ISA slot, you could use the motherboard BIOS to support the A drive, and my driver to support the B drive. If you are dead set on supporting a total of 3 or 4 drives, it would be better to just purchase a 4 drive controller, like sergey's

Reply 9 of 9, by Iarsin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, okay. Thank you maxtherabbit, also for the driver. As a maximum I would like to attach two 5.25" (360k and HD) and a maybe 2.88MB 3.5", three in total to the SR44ßBX. Maybe only two drives, but more than the supported single drive.