VOGONS

First post, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

i have this nice Toshiba 480CDT that i use more or less for retro gaming (its a beautiful machine for that purpose). I have recently replaced the speakers on it (left one did not emit sound, so i replaced both of them with a pair of Arduino speakers (28mm variety). Before this i also upgraded the ram to 168mb (yes, overkill, but why not..?). I'm currently running a 8GB industrial CF on it (paired with a Syba dual CF 2.5 enclosure - where only the master is supported supposedly). It works fine. But i'm now heading towards upgrading the HDD as i'm close to run out of space.

But here is my question: Is this model similar to the Libretto in that it actually DOES support >8GB but with the caveat that you have to leave a section of the disk between 8GB - 8.2GB (rougly) unformatted? I had to do that on the Libretto 110ct when i installed a 16GB drive on it to make it work properly (for reasons that eludes me atm). I recall that if i tried to have continuous space around the 8GB mark, the drive tended to become corrupted rather quickly.

As the 480 and 110CT are basically very much alike (cpu, etc) but of course of different size, i wonder if the "bigger" brother suffers from the same issue in this regard? Anyone know?

Reply 1 of 8, by Y2KBazo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have a 320CDT and it seem to work perfectly with large disks without needing any fixes. its a bit newer than the 480 tho.

Millennium Box: PIII 733EB, Aopen AX34 w/ 512MB CL2, Geforce 2 TI 64MB, Sb Live! ct4760 w/ Live! Drive.
3Dfx Box: DEC Venturis 5133, Pent 133, 64MB EDO, Voodoo 1 4MB, Awe64 Value.

Reply 2 of 8, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Y2KBazo wrote on 2022-02-22, 22:11:

i have a 320CDT and it seem to work perfectly with large disks without needing any fixes. its a bit newer than the 480 tho.

so i got a delivery of the 16gb pata drive and installed w98 on it (using Freedos as the foundation). As of yet, i didn't really stumble across any problems with it (luckily enough). But idk if this machine suffers from the same issues as the Libretto as of yet, i guess only time will tell. But i need to say that an SSD makes a world of difference when it comes to speed 😀 It's somewhat crazy how much it will benefit the total experience of running this 'vintage' computer.

Reply 3 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This might be of interest, even though my 4010CDT is newer .

Here's an idea: using high endurance (micro)SD cards meant for continuous video recording as storage for retro gear .

Reply 4 of 8, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi darry,

this is very good to know, thank you. Am i right to assume that these SD cards are quite robust (thinking in line with 'industrial' CF ditos)? Do they have built-in wear leveling, etc?

With the departure of CF, its nice to know that there are options out there for sure 😀

Reply 5 of 8, by chiveicrook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rather than cards specified for "endurance" and "continuous video recording" I would personally recommend industrial grade SD cards in A1 class (and specifically NOT A2 as these require special hardware to properly utilize). Such cards are commonly used in industrial computers and PC-based PLCs and thanks to the A1 rating are optimized for "application usage" and random access instead of continuous throughput. A1 rating is the same as the recommended for smartphones but industrial grade ensures better longevity. Still, just standard or high endurance A1 class SD cards might be enough as it's not that easy to kill* one (I personally managed to do this only once, running a raspberry pi with experimental database setup and build server for over a year 24/7).

*and kill is an overstatement: virtually all sd-cards just switch to read-only mode so data is safe.

EDIT:
Industrial grade SD cards also usually come with advanced wear leveling and power-loss protections

Reply 6 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chiveicrook wrote on 2022-02-28, 17:11:
Rather than cards specified for "endurance" and "continuous video recording" I would personally recommend industrial grade SD ca […]
Show full quote

Rather than cards specified for "endurance" and "continuous video recording" I would personally recommend industrial grade SD cards in A1 class (and specifically NOT A2 as these require special hardware to properly utilize). Such cards are commonly used in industrial computers and PC-based PLCs and thanks to the A1 rating are optimized for "application usage" and random access instead of continuous throughput. A1 rating is the same as the recommended for smartphones but industrial grade ensures better longevity. Still, just standard or high endurance A1 class SD cards might be enough as it's not that easy to kill* one (I personally managed to do this only once, running a raspberry pi with experimental database setup and build server for over a year 24/7).

*and kill is an overstatement: virtually all sd-cards just switch to read-only mode so data is safe.

EDIT:
Industrial grade SD cards also usually come with advanced wear leveling and power-loss protections

I mention those industrial ones too in the thread I linked .

Considering the performance limitations of FC1307 based adapters and the, IMHO very decent random read and write performance of the max endurance line, I am not sure the industrial ones are worth the potential extra cost (I mean the branded ones with specs, not talking about Ebay specials that someone slapped an industrial sticker on and contain who knows what).

Reply 7 of 8, by chiveicrook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-02-28, 18:35:

I mention those industrial ones too in the thread I linked .

Considering the performance limitations of FC1307 based adapters and the, IMHO very decent random read and write performance of the max endurance line, I am not sure the industrial ones are worth the potential extra cost (I mean the branded ones with specs, not talking about Ebay specials that someone slapped an industrial sticker on and contain who knows what).

True, industrial grade might be a bit of an overkill in standard use but so might be any "high endurance" series 😀
It all depends on price/availability in particular location I guess. I once had a chance to buy ATP industrial sdcards (SLC) in bulk for a very good price so I guess I'm a bit biased 😀

Coming back to performance classes: getting A1 marked cards guarantees near identical baseline performance of every card of a particular model and because, unfortunately, manufacturers often change products under the hood without any notice one can get an ugly surprise from a different batch of the same model. For example, non-A1 marked Samsung Evo Plus cards used to be greatly recommended for their strong random IO performance but later on one had to hunt for specific serial numbers to get good performing ones. Better safe than sorry.